Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

How to support a free standing steel stud wall

63K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  RPB 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need to build an 8' high steel stud wall and the problem is I have nothing to fasten the top track or the end of the wall to. Obviously the bottom track I plan on drilling and fastening with smack pins. However I know from experience this will not be sufficient and the top of the wall will still be flimsy. Any ideas of how to stiffen the wall up? I am thinking of some sort of heavy guage iron angle drilled to the floor, or a telepost of some sort.

TIA

#3 ·
First use 20 gauge steel studs Use a 2 by 2 by 12 inch pattern on the outer edges of your track You're going to need pan head framing screws for your studs to pan head framing screws on each side of the studs top and bottom and make sure the studs are cut snuggly to fit not lose run the drywall all the way to the ground.... if you can get 18 gauge steel studs that would work better.. if you follow the steps the wall will turn out good... you can also glue your track down before you shoot it down

#4 ·
An easy way to stiffin up the wall is to use a heavy gauge stud and track. Next step is to tie them in with flat iron and clips. Talk to your supplier they will get you what you need. 5/8 sheetrock also helps.

#7 ·
Thanks all for the tips...I really would like to use some sort of an iron post drilled and bolted to the floor however. Just not sure where/how to purchase/install them. One idea someone gave me is to construct a vertical box beam at the end of the wall, drill a hole into the concrete and install a piece of rebar down the center and fill with concrete. Sounds pretty labour intensive but I think so far it's the best solution.

#20 ·
go to steel manufactor and have them make you some tube steels with some plates and holes for redheads. Anchor in the tube steels and your good.

Another method that works well is buy the fence post (metal) install bottom plate, will stick out 1/2" but drywall will cover it. Twist into place, and screw a stud onto the post and your good.

Use 18 gauge top/bottem tracks, 20 ga. studs. Put some studs noched out on a 45 screwing all studs in the wall.

#21 ·
In a commercial application where there is concrete on a steel pan, I will hole saw into the bottom track and concrete , and set a piece of unistrut vertically. I mortar it into the hole to set it stiff and bolt a wall stud to the Unistrut. If you don't want to go to that trouble, use #18 deep leg track for the bottom track.

#22 ·
We make low wall posts by welding a rectangular tube steel to a flat plate and anchor bolting it to the concrete. I did a job one time where the structural engineer made us bore a 12" hole 5' deep with a rebar cage, steel post, and concrete. This is when I lost respect for engineers.

#23 ·
Kinda late but surprised no one said LAY the sheets down and glue em. Here we have premade posts for around $50 for 5'. They come with lead anchors. Glue the track. But the board tight to the floor. Use 18ga or better. 20 will work on smaller walls. High leg track is ideal. Its a lot less labor intensive this way.

#24 ·
I believe everything has been mentioned but I'll put my. 02c in. use 18-16 guage studs or at least heavy gauge track, that is glued down with pins or tapcons 2 at where stud is put a metal post in, black iron with stud clips,lay drywall down with glue, .and if you can lay a heavy gauge stud flat on top of the top track, if you can't get a stiff wall out of all that something is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.