Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

How to support a free standing steel stud wall

63K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  RPB 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need to build an 8' high steel stud wall and the problem is I have nothing to fasten the top track or the end of the wall to. Obviously the bottom track I plan on drilling and fastening with smack pins. However I know from experience this will not be sufficient and the top of the wall will still be flimsy. Any ideas of how to stiffen the wall up? I am thinking of some sort of heavy guage iron angle drilled to the floor, or a telepost of some sort.

TIA

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the tips...I really would like to use some sort of an iron post drilled and bolted to the floor however. Just not sure where/how to purchase/install them. One idea someone gave me is to construct a vertical box beam at the end of the wall, drill a hole into the concrete and install a piece of rebar down the center and fill with concrete. Sounds pretty labour intensive but I think so far it's the best solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.