Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work full time for a company. I also get a lot of side work ( nights and weekends ) for other builders. I've been doing small stuff for a guy for awhile now but the jobs keep getting further and further from home. He needs me to go do a bathroom 5 hour drive each way. At first I told him no. Then he called and said he can't find a local guy to do it and begged. I told him it's not gonna be cheap. He said it's no problem and reserved a motel room for me. I don't mind the jobs but I hate traveling. Also he never asks how much $ just sends a address and what it is. Always pays when I'm done. But also every job I've done for him he manages to always have a patch after I finish. So there's always a second or sometimes third trip witch he pays for. How far do you guys NORMALLY travel ?

·
Icerock drywall facebook
2,468 Posts
Work full time for a company. I also get a lot of side work ( nights and weekends ) for other builders. I've been doing small stuff for a guy for awhile now but the jobs keep getting further and further from home. He needs me to go do a bathroom 5 hour drive each way. At first I told him no. Then he called and said he can't find a local guy to do it and begged. I told him it's not gonna be cheap. He said it's no problem and reserved a motel room for me. I don't mind the jobs but I hate traveling. Also he never asks how much $ just sends a address and what it is. Always pays when I'm done. But also every job I've done for him he manages to always have a patch after I finish. So there's always a second or sometimes third trip witch he pays for. How far do you guys NORMALLY travel ?
that would be a one day job. leave at 4:00 am and start work at 9:00am 3 coats and sand and wash done at 4:00 pm ...back home around 10:00 pm $ 1,800

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do two coats and prime and texture. Normally a one day job but after a long drive then working I'm not driving back the same day !

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would think 10 hrs driving @ whatever wage you charge say $55.00, $550.00 12 hrs, tape, top, skim $660.00, material ? 150.00? mileage 350 mile @ .74 psi $260.00 add your time for mobilization/load up, extra for towing trailer (if applicable) $250 rt, sand/primer/TU $350,00 $2,220.00. But to answer your question, we travel wherever we have to. We had a build out contract on 80 small retail stores that were basically the same. Were in Oklahoma but over an 18 month span, we went to Wisconsin, Montana, Minnesota, Florida, South Carolina etc but I never had to actually go very much, but our guys did, but they were making serious bank

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sometimes do jobs for some of my builders or friends building second homes or hunting cabins in northern MI (about 4 hour drive), just for a break from the norm. Get a little work vacation! It just sucks when you get there and in the middle of the job one of your G/Cs calls and needs you to do a repair or walk a job. Then the vacation job becomes a rush and all you want is to be home.

I hope your getting compensated for the drive and not letting the guy get over on your kindness?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm staying in a cheap hotel as we speak. 2 1/2 hours from home, in another state, putting in 12 hour days on a nasty commercial (not my favorite) but whatever, I'm working. I work all over the are but not usuall much further than 3 hours away. It is what it is. If rather be working close to home but this popped up. Happy trails!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I will be more then happy to have a deal like you-I travel every day 1hour
one way from my house to work(city)-this is mean just 8 ks - pay $15 for parking and get no many back :furious: this means you are a like guy and don't say no next time
not to mention I always late with the money :censored:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy pays whatever I tell him no questions asked. He supply's all material even left a compressor on site for my hopper. I guess I'll keep doing it cuz he keeps me busy with side work. And I don't plan on being an employee to much longer !

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The guy pays whatever I tell him no questions asked. He supply's all material even left a compressor on site for my hopper. I guess I'll keep doing it cuz he keeps me busy with side work. And I don't plan on being an employee to much longer !
with such a good deal can't understand why you are still employee :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great answer. My only concern is I have a wife and the kids are getting to the age where they need me around more. Do I really want to use my spare time traveling ? I can always manage to find local stuff. I guess I also love a challenge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I get offers for out of town work (120 miles or more round trip) I usually think of how there are sometimes days where I would gladly pay $100 for an extra hour of time with my family, so I usually pass.

·
Owner: Always Preferred
4 Posts
Depends on the job. Here in montana I've traveled upwards of 5-6 hours before but rarely do it and prefer not to even with good money. It's got to be for a unique and important reason. Prefer to stay local, within an hour/hour and half radius. But our work with wedefineclean.net covers a lot of different situations, not always dealing with drywall...

So personal decision and determining how much you and the job are worth

1 - 20 of 24 Posts