Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
close to retiring. that was in early and mid ninety. they simply did not go to work to shot the breeze and joke around. they had a system nailed down. when they called out measurements you never heard the cutter keep asking what direction is than? they measured every room/bathroom in the same order every time. they did not have to measure every direction on every bathtub in an apartment because 100 bathtubs in a 100 unit building are all the same. they only called out if something changed.

Was the work perfect? no. there was a bit of prefill to do, but these were volume units. they could slow down and do a nice when needed. The opposite end of the scale; Once watched a 'slow' crew for a while. their boss spent half a day with them when just hired. three guys hung a 4x4 foot piece on a short wall top. two guys held the sheet up until the third guy finished, yes finished putting all the screws in. If you under stand the work and have a system then you know the sheet will stay up with one or two nails in in it and the other two guys should have been measuring the next wall.

yes per man per day. used to get crappy quad two and three story town homes. little rooms of 10-6 long walls with 12 foot sheets stocked in them taking up the whole floor at criss crossing angles. Every sheet needing cutting. double lid every where. they stocked 5 x floor. 1000 feet of floor took 5000 feet of rock. the units stocked with about 120 sheets per unit. four guys hung put i a long day, one guy came back the next day to finish screwing off garages, odds and ends etc. he finished before noon. those were crappy units.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how many sheets

whats important is not how many sheets you can hang but how are you transporting it are you breaking the corners , would you like a place to lay it out cut it and store it and still have access to the tools inside your van . If so sounds like you need a set of cargo rackz . Cargo rackz are the easiest . fastest way to haul , store and work on materials like drywall , plywood , doors and lumber . Even in bad weather cargo rackz work great with a cover with Velcro ends your material is safe and dry. and all those tools inside your van, you have full access to all of them . Now lets recap haul , store, work on , fast , access to the tools inside , and any weather you just cant beat cargo rackz :):thumbsup::whistling2:

·
master of drywall
1,013 Posts
Hey buddy i am from aus so we measure our rooms generally 2.4m ceilings 2.7m ceilings and 3.0m ceiling heights so not to sure on all yall measurments but when your learning how to quote on drywall without losing i believe you should start quoting on an hourly rate that way you wont get a big shock at the end of the job and eventually you will work it all out at a metre or square foot rate but as gordie said cupboards and walls with heaps of details or cuts can change everything

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tons of replies with tons of different answers. The OP probably knew this thread would cause debates......Just thought I would add to the chaos, lol...3 man crew, all experienced, all 52+ yrs old.......125 12's in 6 hrs. Residential, hanging lids, walls, closets as we go......And yeah, I feel it....every night and most morning till I get the kinks worked out.:eek: lol.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Tons of replies with tons of different answers. The OP probably knew this thread would cause debates......Just thought I would add to the chaos, lol...3 man crew, all experienced, all 52+ yrs old.......125 12's in 6 hrs. Residential, hanging lids, walls, closets as we go......And yeah, I feel it....every night and most morning till I get the kinks worked out.:eek: lol.
That's a fair shake for three ole farts!! :yes:

·
Registered
655 Posts
We board with all diferent sized sheets 8',9',10',12',14' and 12'by 54" for 9' houses .
All boarding situations are different u obviously will charge a higher price for teadious, difficult, or dangerous stuff so those days give a different sence of accomplishment.
That said my best day on 8' condos 2200 sq' my worst yesterday .Installed two bedroom lids 6 12'ers total the weather is fu#$ing awesome went wacked a couple balls at the range and polished off a couple 8 packs :drink:
a crap I think I put that in the wrong order:jester:

·
Registered
655 Posts
o yea I shouldn't brag the day was from 7am 2 7:30 pm:(

Yesterday to install or hang 2 lousy lids drink beer whack balls, drink more beer enjoy kick ass day took tell 9:30 :yes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
How many boards must a man put up, before he's considered a man ... the answer my friend is blowin' in the wind ... the answer is blowin' in the wind.

I look at it a little differently ... 480 minutes in an 8 hour day ... that's 28,800 seconds. The driving force for me was how much did I want (need) to make in a day and how could I make every second count ...

I was always a believer in mind over matter ... if you are mindful, it matters ... actions being the product of thinking ... form following function. So, I set the bar high ... 3000 SF/day. Did I get that everyday? Hell no. But because I had my mind set on that number ... on making $200/day (back in the late 70s early 80s) ... I got close to that. I used the same logic when taping and finishing ... continuously trying to figure out how I could make every second count ... to turn $200/day into $300/day ... then $400/day ... then $500/day ... and so it goes.

The cost of living has changed ... (want and need are now 5 times what it was back then)
Jobs have changed in the way that they run them (schedule them). Attitudes have changed toward mechanics (commodification nation).

Thinking has become more important than ever.

·
Registered
706 Posts
How many boards must a man put up, before he's considered a man ... the answer my friend is blowin' in the wind ... the answer is blowin' in the wind.

I look at it a little differently ... 480 minutes in an 8 hour day ... that's 28,800 seconds. The driving force for me was how much did I want (need) to make in a day and how could I make every second count ...

I was always a believer in mind over matter ... if you are mindful, it matters ... actions being the product of thinking ... form following function. So, I set the bar high ... 3000 SF/day. Did I get that everyday? Hell no. But because I had my mind set on that number ... on making $200/day (back in the late 70s early 80s) ... I got close to that. I used the same logic when taping and finishing ... continuously trying to figure out how I could make every second count ... to turn $200/day into $300/day ... then $400/day ... then $500/day ... and so it goes.

The cost of living has changed ... (want and need are now 5 times what it was back then)
Jobs have changed in the way that they run them (schedule them). Attitudes have changed toward mechanics (commodification nation).

Thinking has become more important than ever.
I salute you dude! 3000 sf is well over 60, 12' sheets, a day. I've never met anybody even come close to that. Half that many sheets maybe a handful of times in 30 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I plug in 200 SF of basic 5/8" install per hour, for one experienced hanger, and a helper. Basic commercial applications. The higher the wall, the less production though. Might seem low, but it accounts for break time, lunch, and other possible variables. That keeps me pretty accurate, and competitive in my area.

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
Where was the real Speedy Gonzalez? We know the brown skin boys are faster and more meticulous.:thumbdown:
seed 2 speedy Gonzales, they made casholas and tell ya the work was mint, slamming power drink through the day, they exist just some are good but just got through some of their work last month hangers I mean, cost me man did it cost me, at the point where I back charged for extra time, cant take it anymore, first back charge ever

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
o yea I shouldn't brag the day was from 7am 2 7:30 pm:(

Yesterday to install or hang 2 lousy lids drink beer whack balls, drink more beer enjoy kick ass day took tell 9:30 :yes:
now I see why ya dump your weekload here Gordie:)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts