Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Good Morning and God Bless everybody! I have a couple questions to ask regarding hanging drywall. I'm in the painting business and usually I get a drywall repairs or a couple of drywall sheets to hang and from time to time a full room to finish. But, lately I've been getting more drywall jobs so I'm starting to bid on them more. The thing is, I've never timed myself hanging, mudding and finishing drywall. I'm quick at it and do a professional job. My questions is!

(1) How many sheets per hour should I or two man crew be hanging at a nice steady pace? :help:

(2) How many days should it take a two man crew to hang, let say, 50 to 150 sheets? :help:

(3) Also how long should it take to mud and finish them on a nice day with good dry time? :help:

(4) Ok! Lets say I'm going a bedroom (12 x 12) with 8' ceiling. 12 x 8 =96, 96 x 4 = 384, 12 x 12= 144, 384 + 144 = 528 sq. ft., 528 sq. ft. / 32 sq. ft. =16.50 sheets. With me doing it solo or with a two man crew. How long should it take to hang, then mud and finish? :confused1:

I appreciate all the input I can get :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
8' ceilings should be right at 2000 sq ft for 1/2", and 1500 sq ft for 5/8" per man per day. Or, 250 sq ft for 1/2" and 187.5 sq ft for 5/8" per hour. NOW, we have difficulty factor to further reduce these numbers. Small job should add 1 to 2 hours for hanging and taping each. 1 hr to stock, 1 hr to clean up, and 1 hr for dump. Add in material costs, dump fees, and 5% profit, and 10% overhead. My hourly wage would include all employee costs such as workmans comp insurance, and unemployment if applicable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok! So let me see if I'm understanding correctly! So for 1,500 sf. of 5/8 sheets divided by 32 sf. is 46 sheets per man?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Ok! So let me see if I'm understanding correctly! So for 1,500 sf. of 5/8 sheets divided by 32 sf. is 46 sheets per man?
Keep in mind this is production drywall. He starts at 7 am and stops at 3:30 pm with everything 8' high, and what I call basic Bob with no intricate work like radius', arches, and or cut up tedious work.

If it were tenant work (metal studs) standups it would drop to 800 to 1000 sq ft per man day, and could drop from there dependent on difficulty. Honestly, and estimate is just a wild azz guess, or the WAG method. Look at it and say how long will this take me, and don't forget incidentals like stocking and cleanup.

I started in houses where we had to get 44 12's per man per day, or 88 as a crew to make wages. If we hung more we got paid more. It's all got to be put in perspective, because I've been on jobs where walls are filled with pipes and it takes 2 guys all day to get 10 sheets.

Honestly, we would hang a house with 4000 ft of board in less than 6 hrs. that paid 8 ea. I doubt at 54 I could do it today.

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
Tape 1000 sq a 8 hr day finished, divide hrs to compare, if you cant finish that amount per day forget Tape n that is average, mind you for $1000 dollars a day Bazooka Joe and Moe could teach ya Call 1800Mooredrywall

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well these days when hanging you get small cut up walls, utility rooms, underneath stairwells crap like that all through a home. So 1000 to 1500 sq ft per day is great no one will be disappointed with that . the harder the job the higher the price and usually the easy lower paying work can be a lot better buy the end of the day. but unfortunately where im located its all vaults, barrels, rounds, and huge window walls .The rates are great but u don't start boarding half the time until your 12' up .I've been walking with crutches all week cuz I was too stupid to check my plank on my 6' ers down I went brused my heel real bad :censored:

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm down to one crutch now had to finish the guest house and garage on two crutches though lol . Im just resting now, starting a read big project on Monday should provide the lions share of my work this year. And the job is going completely to me and my bro the drywall co that bid the job only gets taping we worked for the developer on there last two big projects so the board goes to us haha:jester: love cutting out them greedy middle men

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
I'm down to one crutch now had to finish the guest house and garage on two crutches though lol . Im just resting now, starting a read big project on Monday should provide the lions share of my work this year. And the job is going completely to me and my bro the drywall co that bid the job only gets taping we worked for the developer on there last two big projects so the board goes to us haha:jester: love cutting out them greedy middle men
hear your angle Gordie but when dwc s go missing it throws screws in the mud, then the General starts to break down and hires direct, I hope you run contract rate,

kinda wondering seen how we havent heard from u in a bit and this is where you let out your frustrations, anyway your bruised big Toe aint that way from kik n someone is it

·
Registered
655 Posts
actually me and the dwc get along pretty good we had the same arrangement on the last build the developer did. We both charge the same per foot price he just adds for bead and I add to build bulkheads and fire rate I tape all the fire rating myself.
We both agree it will be the best job we do all year the only change from this development from the last is instead of building two towers they are building a variety of storefront town houses and I believe some stand alone houses the land is all theres .So this time I have to be able to fill in the gaps between fazes.
Ive recently been working with a couple smaller dwc's that hire me to do huge homes with many customes involved they pay pretty good as well because they do the taping themselves and have a very good name so im just happy I don't have to work for the big guys anymore the guys who make all the money for ordering supplies and offering extras off our hides .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hello! Good Morning and God Bless everybody! I have a couple questions to ask regarding hanging drywall. I'm in the painting business and usually I get a drywall repairs or a couple of drywall sheets to hang and from time to time a full room to finish. But, lately I've been getting more drywall jobs so I'm starting to bid on them more. The thing is, I've never timed myself hanging, mudding and finishing drywall. I'm quick at it and do a professional job. My questions is!

(1) How many sheets per hour should I or two man crew be hanging at a nice steady pace? :help:

(2) How many days should it take a two man crew to hang, let say, 50 to 150 sheets? :help:

(3) Also how long should it take to mud and finish them on a nice day with good dry time? :help:

(4) Ok! Lets say I'm going a bedroom (12 x 12) with 8' ceiling. 12 x 8 =96, 96 x 4 = 384, 12 x 12= 144, 384 + 144 = 528 sq. ft., 528 sq. ft. / 32 sq. ft. =16.50 sheets. With me doing it solo or with a two man crew. How long should it take to hang, then mud and finish? :confused1:

I appreciate all the input I can get :thumbsup:.
From an old-timer--chiming in--after 33 years I retired [only part time jobs that suit me now] We[myself and employee] averaged 80-100 sheets a day on custom homes for years[installing] Many homes were 250-300 sheets , and they were finished and primed in 4-5 days . So we were hanging and finishing these in 8-9 days depending on many factors---To answer your questions in simple terms , a sliding scale of #of sheets you can handle on a regular basis per day to your daily wage you need to earn. None of us are going to charge out our normal sft prices on 30 sheets as we would on 130, my personal preference was 80 and above was my normal square ft pricing and as the sheet count lowered my soft # went up----Say 100 sheets at 4800 sft x $1,50 = $7200--- 10 sheets at 480 sftx $1.50 =&720------I,m not buying material hanging it and finishing and priming for that number--- Same as going into a home to install over old plaster ceiling [12x12] 144 sft @ $150=$216 not going to work----So you need to factor your own daily wade int those small jobs-overhead -and profit---Good luck----Oldtimer DSJOHN

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where was the real Speedy Gonzalez? We know the brown skin boys are faster and more meticulous.:thumbdown:

·
Quality Hangers
460 Posts
Not bad but more real world needed....like a faceful of itchy....imperfect sheets to be set aside.....c'mooooon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts