Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of people tell me to come over here and ask this question. I don't post much here but am a DWT stalker.

Anyways, I see a Columbia set with a "hot mud" pump. Columbia Set

I've always wondered if some guys ran hot mud in tubes or tools in general. I don't run production, rather looking to run a basement or addition with tools. With the smaller sqft. I am thinking I could run a couple of coats in one day. Pipe dream?

I hear there is a new zooka with a detachable head but I already have one and with all the thousands of tiny parts I don't have the guts to fill with setting mud. Tubes and flushers are another story tho.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Homax banjo, Tubes, mudheads, flushers/angleheads, Quickfill pump, Boxes etc is what you want, Even these are not worth it if its a smaller job, Bazookas and pumps a bit of a hassel unless its a bigger job and there is 2 or 3 of you. Its a bit much on your own, I set my zooka and pump and gooseneck in hotmud once, sheetrock 210 went off in after 90min, really fast, What a :censored:, took me ages to clean it out.

·
HillBilly
13 Posts
Homax banjo, Tubes, mudheads, flushers/angleheads, Quickfill pump, Boxes etc is what you want, Even these are not worth it if its a smaller job, Bazookas and pumps a bit of a hassel unless its a bigger job and there is 2 or 3 of you. Its a bit much on your own, I set my zooka and pump and gooseneck in hotmud once, sheetrock 210 went off in after 90min, really fast, What a :censored:, took me ages to clean it out.
Hot mud went off before it time, has it happen to anyone else, just wondering if was just a one time thing like lighting striking twice in the same spot :eek:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Hot mud went off before it time, has it happen to anyone else, just wondering if was just a one time thing like lighting striking twice in the same spot :eek:
RUCO hot mud will set 10 min. before bag time says.
RUCO 90 sets in 45 min
45 sets in 30
20 sets in 15 ....No matter the water or the way you mix It sets fast.

Ruco products are bottom of the barrel dollar store trash/junk/!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work with hot mud (setting type) quite a bit. There are different factors that make it go off faster than the time on the bag. The biggest we've found is contamination from old to new batch. Also temp of water used to mix and I've found that well water seems to make it go off faster but have no clue why.

It's nice putting all three coats on in one day tho.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I work with hot mud (setting type) quite a bit. There are different factors that make it go off faster than the time on the bag. The biggest we've found is contamination from old to new batch. Also temp of water used to mix and I've found that well water seems to make it go off faster but have no clue why.

It's nice putting all three coats on in one day tho.
Yup! You're absolutely right.
Warm water can almost cut your time in half. But ya, dirty water will do it too. If your mixing a 2nd batch in the same pail, make sure the pail is really clean from the previous batch. Residue left over from the previous batch will off balance your new chemical mix and cause it to dry quicker.

·
HillBilly
13 Posts
I like ProRoc Lite
does anyone know what the differences is with Durabond and sheetrock there both made by CGC so.......... :blink:

·
HillBilly
13 Posts
Warm water can almost cut your time in half. But ya, dirty water will do it too. If your mixing a 2nd batch in the same pail, make sure the pail is really clean from the previous batch. Residue left over from the previous batch will off balance your new chemical mix and cause it to dry quicker.
ooo good to know thank:thumbsup: Paulie & PrecisionTaping

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also dipping a cup or whatever into your new water will contaminate. Even dust during mixing will fall in new water screwing it up. We use a camping type water container that has a spigot now for that reason. Works great.

I like ProRoc Lite
does anyone know what the differences is with Durabond and sheetrock there both made by CGC so.......... :blink:
Durobond or as we call it "brown bag" is a shade off of concrete:( and don't even think about sanding it. We use it for basement posts where kids are likely to run into it with toys for filler. Then go over with easy sand and topping.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
All my buckets are clean ,but this time of year the water is cold.
The perfect atmosphere for mixing hot mud is impossible..
stay-smooth is the best hot mud out there...sheet rock brand is good also ..
but no hot mud is sandable IMO..

3 coats in 1 day don't work. It's fast setting..not fast drying..when finishing drywall each coat needs to completely CURE before the next pass.

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
Hotmud in boxes and pumps is fine, i'd recomend 90 for your first time (like a virgin :D) Easy clean pump for sure. Need to have a good water source for cleanout though. Theres a post in Drywall Tools to make a nice little cleanout station

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All my buckets are clean ,but this time of year the water is cold.
The perfect atmosphere for mixing hot mud is impossible..
stay-smooth is the best hot mud out there...sheet rock brand is good also ..
but no hot mud is sandable IMO..

3 coats in 1 day don't work. It's fast setting..not fast drying..when finishing drywall each coat needs to completely CURE before the next pass.
I agree, the set is a chemical process, the drying only is complete when the water leaves the mix. But putting another coat over a previous one after it's set up but before the water is evaporated is acceptable IMO.

Hot mud sanding is a PITA. I agree.

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
3 coats same day is always a pita, but its do-able. I do alot of our pickup work, 2 coats of 5 min if needed and a tight skim of reg. We don't sand hotmud, always scrape with a 6"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hot mud

I always use hot mud for the first two coats .I use the zooka to run tapes in on flat joins and have never had a problem . I use the drywallmaster king taper with easy removable end and do not use gooseneck on my pump , just hold it up to valve and fill . The secret is to know when the mud is going to go off and cleaning up say about ten minuites befor this time . Take a note of the time when you mix the mud , Make sure water is clean , and make sure you have wash up area all ready to go and have good water pressure . Its also esential to have a helper to wipe down behind you. I have been a long time user of a homax banjo but find the zooker so much quicker :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I was using sheetrock 210 when i first got the tools, It needs a mash as it starts to firm, Not set, just firm up, Its a bit of a hassel, Away, i prob used 15 bags or so, Till one day i mixed some, Clean bucket, cold water, Same as always, I started taping and 90mins in it firmed up a bit more than normal, Then i realise it was setting, Oh crap, By the time i got outside to the hose it was set:censored: Solid, Zooka had about 8 inches in it, pump and goose neck were full, Took nearly 4 hrs of poking with a wire to break it out, The gooseneck took many days of soaking and poking with a wire, I was going to just get another gooseneck, but they were $650 at the time so i kept at it, It cleaned out in the end.

Something i have noticed with hotmud and zookas/tubes is when you fill and empty and fill the first mud around the plungers dosnt get used, It seems to set up, So when you come to clean up its like a hard plug, Or with the tubes it makes hotmud stones that bung it up when your trying to run them, So you need to take off the cone and sort it out, Or have a bucket of water and plunge it every fill, But you cant do that with a zooka, I guess you could hose it every fill, But thats time, You need two people for hotmud zooka, that were the homax is great, Set hotmud comes off the plastic.

Hot mud tends to leave a build up, even when you wash up, Like on a hawk, Hey Suncoast, Whats the inside of your DM tube like, I would pick its all lined with hotmud residue, Your hotmuds may wash up better, What brand are you running??

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was using sheetrock 210 when i first got the tools, It needs a mash as it starts to firm, Not set, just firm up, Its a bit of a hassel, Away, i prob used 15 bags or so, Till one day i mixed some, Clean bucket, cold water, Same as always, I started taping and 90mins in it firmed up a bit more than normal, Then i realise it was setting, Oh crap, By the time i got outside to the hose it was set:censored: Solid, Zooka had about 8 inches in it, pump and goose neck were full, Took nearly 4 hrs of poking with a wire to break it out, The gooseneck took many days of soaking and poking with a wire, I was going to just get another gooseneck, but they were $650 at the time so i kept at it, It cleaned out in the end.

Something i have noticed with hotmud and zookas/tubes is when you fill and empty and fill the first mud around the plungers dosnt get used, It seems to set up, So when you come to clean up its like a hard plug, Or with the tubes it makes hotmud stones that bung it up when your trying to run them, So you need to take off the cone and sort it out, Or have a bucket of water and plunge it every fill, But you cant do that with a zooka, I guess you could hose it every fill, But thats time, You need two people for hotmud zooka, that were the homax is great, Set hotmud comes off the plastic.

Hot mud tends to leave a build up, even when you wash up, Like on a hawk, Hey Suncoast, Whats the inside of your DM tube like, I would pick its all lined with hotmud residue, Your hotmuds may wash up better, What brand are you running??
I'd guess that the sliding action of the head in the tube would mechanically precipitate setting, and the frictional heat would contribute. That would in turn kick off nucleation of the mud nearby on top of the head. It's never pushed out of the tube so it gets to just hang out there and get chunky.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'd guess that the sliding action of the head in the tube would mechanically precipitate setting, and the frictional heat would contribute. That would in turn kick off nucleation of the mud nearby on top of the head. It's never pushed out of the tube so it gets to just hang out there and get chunky.
:blink:Nice explaination Mr Science Teacher, Sounds like your right, Thats exactly what it does, Gets chunky, And breaks off in lumps which clogs the tube, so off has to come the head for a clean out.:yes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.