Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law (a painter):eek: just showed me a pic of my aunt and uncles ceiling in their house in west vancouver that was painted with some new type of high gloss latex paint. It was white and like a mirror you could see the reflection of what was on the walls on the ceiling. I guess it needs 3 or 4 coats with 16 hours between coats. I couldn't imagine taping for something like that.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
My brother in law (a painter):eek: just showed me a pic of my aunt and uncles ceiling in their house in west vancouver that was painted with some new type of high gloss latex paint. It was white and like a mirror you could see the reflection of what was on the walls on the ceiling. I guess it needs 3 or 4 coats with 16 hours between coats. I couldn't imagine taping for something like that.
Does the sheen from the high gloss cause a flashing? Can you see all the joints?

·
Registered
685 Posts
You need a nice drywall finish and a good painter to pull off that look without it being picked apart.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Ya, pretty much. As soon as any type of gloss hits the walls the sheen shows off everything.
And it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad tape job. You won't be able to feel any humps, just the sheen reflects the locations of the joints so you can see it all. Needs a lvl 5.

·
Registered
344 Posts
alot of h/o ask me what paint i recomend (flat or semi-gloss etc.) alway's tell them what ever they want doesn't matter to me i perfer semi-gloss myself ! really surprised on the look they give me when i tell them semi-gloss is my choice.:yes:
coz everyone there before me tells them flat paint to hide inperfections........and that boils down to what type of finish work they do.....NOT GOOD ! makes me laugh when a h/o wants all smooth finish and other's try to talk them into texture.....if you cant get it smooth like a babys ars then i think your in the wrong trade. !
but we all know it guy's.... EVERYONE is a drywall finisher:whistling2: and we all hear it..... "i can do it just dont like the sanding" well dont put it on so f n thick dumb ars !! or "you use paper tape !!:blink:....that stuff is hard to use....i use that mesh tape !" sorry guys had to through in a mesh thing in there !!!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
alot of h/o ask me what paint i recomend (flat or semi-gloss etc.) alway's tell them what ever they want doesn't matter to me i perfer semi-gloss myself ! really surprised on the look they give me when i tell them semi-gloss is my choice.:yes:
coz everyone there before me tells them flat paint to hide inperfections........and that boils down to what type of finish work they do.....NOT GOOD ! makes me laugh when a h/o wants all smooth finish and other's try to talk them into texture.....if you cant get it smooth like a babys ars then i think your in the wrong trade. !
but we all know it guy's.... EVERYONE is a drywall finisher:whistling2: and we all hear it..... "i can do it just dont like the sanding" well dont put it on so f n thick dumb ars !! or "you use paper tape !!:blink:....that stuff is hard to use....i use that mesh tape !" sorry guys had to through in a mesh thing in there !!!

I am proud to say I have never ever done a texture on a wall.
Only ceilings. All our jobs are smooth finish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it would be hard to see something in that ceiling. Its like when you put to much light on a wall you cant see chit, or touch up on on white primer...the shine back blinds

·
Registered
187 Posts
We use to due something similar on our ceilings
2O years ago. With high gloss oil. We smoke it with a lantern
Give it that marble look
Anyone due that before

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am proud to say I have never ever done a texture on a wall.
Only ceilings. All our jobs are smooth finish.
My walls
My whole rec room has exterior stucco on it
I put a medium swirl.(durock)It looks real nice
My entrance inside use graffito coarse stucco
And floated vertical only. (Durex)
And my dinning room ceiling. Use qwartsputs
From dryvit And floated it
But the outside of my house is brick lol

·
bmitch
494 Posts
We use to due something similar on our ceilings
2O years ago. With high gloss oil. We smoke it with a lantern
Give it that marble look
Anyone due that before
i've done a bit of it,alot of years ago.it is a good look.our first home i did three ceilings.very unique look.might be a problem trying to get oil paint to ever do something like that again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.