Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the site... glad you joined! How did yo find us?
We might be a little slow over the next couple of weeks until we officially launch the site in the first week or two of January. I just don't want you to get discouraged.

Great to have you1

·
other guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typed in "drywall forum" on google, to find somewhere else to explore. I gotta say "forum" is not the first term I tried. Kudos to you for getting to the top of the list so quickly! It's not even an adword.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I typed in "drywall forum" on google, to find somewhere else to explore. I gotta say "forum" is not the first term I tried. Kudos to you for getting to the top of the list so quickly! It's not even an adword.
I'm glad you found us and thanks for the kind words. I have a little experience doing this sort of thing so once we launch in January expect a lot more traffic!

·
other guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Formal Intro

So, here's my intro:
Hey there, I'm a residential contractor in the hudson valley. I been in it since I was 12 or so, I've worked first for a finish carpenter, then an industrial contractor building schools, warehouses, fleet maintenance buildings, malls, supermarkets, etc. then, I worked for a modular factory, and for the past 10 years I've nurtured my own renovation co.
Every time I changed, it was on my terms. I never found satisfaction working on other's jobs. I've learned a lot, discarded old methods for new better ones, and have seen more than most.
I now specialize in customizing homes by way of renovation, providing high-end work for white collar professionals who wish to retain the homes their children grew up in, now that they have the means to improve their surroundings.
I apply methods I've learned in other industries, to residential renovation for vast and qualified reasons. This is what I bring to the table.
I'm here to listen to other's methods for improving efficiency, and to share my perspectives on quality and efficacy.

·
other guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everybody, If you're in the trade, and usually hang back and just read, that's cool. But this is a fresh, new site. Nobody's gonna shoot you down. Say hello, share your experience. We all do things differently. We can respectfully disagree.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Savant, if you haven't found it yet you might like contractortalk.com it's a little broader version of the same thing. Good stuff!

·
other guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey J, I guess I missed yer post.

I've been to CT, lotta battles there. I just like to visit & compare notes. I don't have time for heated arguments. That's what's nice about a new place like this. Thanks for looking out!:thumbsup:

·
other guy
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello AWB,

So, you're up here in the NE?
How's your region?

It's funny how up here we have such a patchwork market. Certain portions that were strong the past few years, have come to a standstill, while other areas, that we haven't had a call from in a long time, are seeing modest growth. I guess it's a benefit from living in highly-populated states.

The NJ Invasion contractors seem to be seeing it too. This gas crunch is tough for locals like us, I can't imagine what it's doing to those guys who drive >150mi. every day to take some of our jobs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello AWB,
So, you're up here in the NE?
How's your region?
Hi savant,
In my region, things have been pretty slow for everyone. Drywall supply houses are doing ok. There is still limited residential building, but, lots of commercial and industrial still going, along with rehabs and repairs.

It's funny how up here we have such a patchwork market. Certain portions that were strong the past few years, have come to a standstill, while other areas, that we haven't had a call from in a long time, are seeing modest growth. I guess it's a benefit from living in highly-populated states.
Yes, some sectors are still doing good, others (new residential developments) are slow.

The NJ Invasion contractors seem to be seeing it too. This gas crunch is tough for locals like us, I can't imagine what it's doing to those guys who drive >150mi. every day to take some of our jobs.
I pumped $120.00 into my tank yesterday. ( I average 10 mpg) - Ugh.
We do a decent amount of insurance repair jobs. Those jobs help pay for all the driving we do, that is connected to work that we are not charging for: consultations and estimates.

Gas is going to be a killer for everyone in the industry this summer.:(

·
Registered
Professional Jobseeker
10 Posts
Hi from Arkansas it's 96° with 82% humidity today, between the air and the drywall dust it's hard to breathe. I guess hell will be more uncomfortable so I should get used to it. I've been finishing drywall for 15 years, it was either finish it or hang it. I'm a girl for god's sake I do not pretend to be a man lol. Or as they now say a CIS female, i am not gender fluid.:p

·
Registered
Professional Jobseeker
10 Posts
Hi savant,
In my region, things have been pretty slow for everyone. Drywall supply houses are doing ok. There is still limited residential building, but, lots of commercial and industrial still going, along with rehabs and repairs.

Yes, some sectors are still doing good, others (new residential developments) are slow.

I pumped $120.00 into my tank yesterday. ( I average 10 mpg) - Ugh.
We do a decent amount of insurance repair jobs. Those jobs help pay for all the driving we do, that is connected to work that we are not charging for: consultations and estimates.

Gas is going to be a killer for everyone in the industry this summer.:(
$120? Here I was complaining about $45.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts