Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Quality Hangers
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shocked to read how many rockers don't glue thier rock and how many regions don't require it.

For those who do glue what brand do you like,or insist on?
We prefer Miracle DSA20 or OSI Formula 38. We prefer it to the point that if a GC or DC gives us Liquid Nails,Ace Adhesive or any bathtub brewed garbage we will usually break out our stash for at least the ceilings. What do we do with the garbage? Use it for walls or toss it in the dumpster. We don't let on to that so they don't just start assuming we'll supply glue but we DO inform them that WE will NOT be responsible for any 'rockstorms' or illnesses that occur due to inferior glue.

PS: "Green" glue may make conservationists happy but be sure to ask for "Green" medical supplies when you visit the E.R. for blunt force trauma to the skull.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would never ever even consider hanging a job without glue.

My glue of choice is Miracle, followed by OSI.

Years ago all drywall was glued in this area until the Mexicans moved in. Now maybe 10% of new homes are glue, & the collage boy builders could care less as long as it's done fast & cheap.:furious:

·
Quality Hangers
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TITEBOND how could I forget THAT trash?!?!? Yeah we got migraines from the fumes and from peeling it off our tools,benches,clothes,hair......

I don't care how many sheets have been hung by who or where they were gravity never sleeps and screws hold only a certain amount. Over time sheets will billow and sag. There are the Urban Legends of ceilings falling down and then there are the actual court cases and injuries that happen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
95% of the ceilings around here have vapor barrier installed on them, it wouldn't make any sense to glue them, I guess I'm not considering multiple story houses, and basement ceilings.
I've heard stories of guys not securing sound channel to the ceilings correctly, and having them give way after people have moved in. We used to just tack it up and have a guy go around and screw it off later. IF he missed one room, that's all it would take.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here ya go,,,, Glue only glues the paper from the back of the board to the stud. It never even touches the "rock".

DUHHHH ain't it neat ????

And it'd take 29 fasteners failing at the same time for a sheet to fall. The billowing occurs between the joists, not along them, usually on a 2' oc job. Sl I'm a "mo fo" for not gluing lids, I don't have to bath in WD-40 every night.

We had that whole vapor barrier on the ceiling debate awhile back. Seems it's code up north. I still maintain that without humidity control, the rock would mold and fall down, regardless. We are now being told to slash the barrier on exterior tiled walls, due to tile failures caused by excess moisture behind the tile backer. Go figure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And it'd take 29 fasteners failing at the same time for a sheet to fall. The billowing occurs between the joists, not along them, usually on a 2' oc job. Sl I'm a "mo fo" for not gluing lids, I don't have to bath in WD-40 every night.

We had that whole vapor barrier on the ceiling debate awhile back. Seems it's code up north. I still maintain that without humidity control, the rock would mold and fall down, regardless. We are now being told to slash the barrier on exterior tiled walls, due to tile failures caused by excess moisture behind the tile backer. Go figure.
Technically, were suppose to use durarock for those applications, though not to many do.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Technically, were suppose to use durarock for those applications, though not to many do.
Yes, durock is the material of choice (& code). My point was about the apor barrier needing slashed behind tile on exterior walls. And that gluing ceilings is something we used to tell the rookies to do and then LMAO when they get it all over themselves.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
No glue means loose rock [rattles] and requires 4 screws in the fields if not glued. more field screws mean more popped screws later.
popped screws have nothing to do with the board being glued.

capt. Is right .. It sticks to the paper ,,but sticks pretty damn well.
I've done tear outs where rock was glued , it comes down in pieces the tear outs where rock was not glued the sheets come down with ease.

I can go through a case without getting a speck on me.:yes:1/4 1n bead .do not glue the butts .

1 - 20 of 54 Posts