Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agreed to tape a second floor of the house for a general contractor for the hourly rate plus some compensation for travel. I prepared a written contract just of 8 lines, basically, confirming the rate, how frequently it's paid and what I have to do. He signed, no problem. I printed weekly time slip where I record my hours and there is a box for him to sign. Now I got a call from him, he wants to change it to lump sum payment. He says he can't monitor me. Is it my problem? At the end of the day there is obvious result, you can see if I was working or playing hooky. Can he change his mind when the contract is written (although it is crude, I'm not a lawyer). Mind you, the ceilings are are high and there are vaulted, I can't reach them from my stilts (I tape with banjo). There will be a problem setting up scaffolding on the stairs (time).  GC pays cash. How do I make sure I'm paid?<br>

·
Registered
717 Posts
I always figure how many hours I think I will have in the job add materials then add 35%. Present it as a not too exceed price tell him you had to figure high to make sure you covered the high areas. If he doesn't want to pay what it is going to cost to complete job better to find out before you're done.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If he doesn't want to pay what it is going to cost to complete job better to find out before you're done.
This.

You ought to be able to quote it while defining the scope of the work, who is supplying what (materials, scaffold, masking if required, etc), that's part of the game. If you haven't worked for him before, I could see his being worried about agreeing to T&M billing.

However, the 'paying cash' thing and him changing his mind on you are red flags. No one who has their sh!t together offers to pay cash. It's illegal. Only a crooked operator would play like that. A HO I could understand but a builder?! He'll probably insist on an invoice at the end anyway and you'll have worked for 30-40% less than you should have, and you'll just end up eating it to get any payment at all. Also, no one who has been building for awhile doesn't know how they feel about T&M contractors. They have their policies already and don't go getting confused and changing their minds.

I'd consider working elsewhere if this is the first job for him and you have other options. Or you could stipulate terms of downpayment that cover you if he ignores you after you sand, then leave it up to him whether to get you on the job or not.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I sent a message to the guy, he replied, will see him tomorrow. No cash--I'm ripping the tape off the walls:D
You could try taking him to small claims court, do you have that over there? I did that once to a dodgy builder. Getting some money back is better than revenge, ripping the tape off could back fire on you and cost you money....Good on ya though, can't let people take you for a ride

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
how long has it been since you started? Maybe hes nervous its taking too long . Whats wrong with lump sum?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My father and I worked 1 day, then weekend and now it's going to be day 2.
There is nothing wrong with lump sum, changing terms of agreement is what bothers me.
Yes, we have small claims court. If I don't get money today, it's clear, the guy wants a free ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those who give a damn.
Contract signed, money down paid. (although, who says it is written on stone, we can cancel it :))
I was feeling safe with hourly pay--if something comes up, I am sure I am paid for. Well, something came up--in two rooms and a corridor every other screw is not sunk properly. DWC suggested me carrying a screwdriver or a screwgun. Thank you very much, I'm paid for taping. I can sink a screw here, another there, but dang it!.. it's every second screw, literally! Apparently, a HO hung drywall, DWC mentioned it, but I forgot in which rooms. What am I supposed to do? It's going to take me quite a bit of time to set screws. Up and down the scaffolding.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to get a GC if I worked for sometime, even just a day and he is elusive or refuses to pay? Small claims was suggested, is it everything? Where I can report in Ontario?

·
Registered
352 Posts
a HO hung drywall
I hope for your sake the Home Owner didn't put glue behind his screws or Screw where he'd glued...or if he did I hope he pressed the board back nice and hard, otherwise there's a good chance of screw pops.

Not allowed to glue where you screw in my country, probably the same elsewhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I hope for your sake the Home Owner didn't put glue behind his screws or Screw where he'd glued...or if he did I hope he pressed the board back nice and hard, otherwise there's a good chance of screw pops.

Not allowed to glue where you screw in my country, probably the same elsewhere.
Sorry if I've added to your worries :D as long as the glues nice and dry you should be fine...:thumbup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
For those who give a damn.
Contract signed, money down paid. (although, who says it is written on stone, we can cancel it :))
I was feeling safe with hourly pay--if something comes up, I am sure I am paid for. Well, something came up--in two rooms and a corridor every other screw is not sunk properly. DWC suggested me carrying a screwdriver or a screwgun. Thank you very much, I'm paid for taping. I can sink a screw here, another there, but dang it!.. it's every second screw, literally! Apparently, a HO hung drywall, DWC mentioned it, but I forgot in which rooms. What am I supposed to do? It's going to take me quite a bit of time to set screws. Up and down the scaffolding.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to get a GC if I worked for sometime, even just a day and he is elusive or refuses to pay? Small claims was suggested, is it everything? Where I can report in Ontario?
Just buy a small impact driver. Keep it on your hip for high work. I'm stunned you don't have such a basic, affordable tool in your kit. Yes, the screws should have been properly set but it will take you all of 10 minutes to sink them with a driver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I, actually, have an impact driver, but these distractions irritate. Especially in the corners when the roller hits a screw:censored: I have enough monkey jumping from ladder to scaffolding to think about somebodies mistakes. Today I was like a pirate walking the plank. Two more houses like this one and I can apply to Circus du Soleil.

No, there was no glue, but they used every bit of drywall, I bet there was no scrap at all. Everything is on the walls.:cry:
Oh, well, at least I don't have to do the ceilings.

·
Mud Manipulator
311 Posts
Welcome to the world of taping . I suggest to you to get used to it or find a new line of work. Nothing in our trade is ever peachy 100% of the time .unless you do the job from start to finish, especially if you work for a DC. A good taping system, and attitude will reduce the tremendous amout of resentment against the boarders , framers , and painters .

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Welcome to the world of taping . I suggest to you to get used to it or find a new line of work. Nothing in our trade is ever peachy 100% of the time .unless you do the job from start to finish, especially if you work for a DC. A good taping system, and attitude will reduce the tremendous amout of resentment against the boarders , framers , and painters .
Are you trying to say, were suppose to be nice to painters:furious::furious::furious::furious:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Never charge by the hour SOS

I'm no expert on this, and the rules and laws always change from state to province etc...

but once you go buy the hour, you sorta lose you DWC status, you become a employee . So things like comp, write offs on taxes and so forth become affected.

always go by a set price, most times we always win that way, but yes, sometimes we lose. It's been a while since I produced a contract but think mine use to say something like this.

All said joints and properly installed fasteners shall be taped and/or coated and sanded in preparation of a painted prime coat. all said work shall be paid with in 30 days of billing or upon completion of work. Material shall be.......

You can twist and turn the statement any way you want but....

The term properly installed fasteners covers your butt alot, it means any nails ,screws, or corner beads etc installed by someone else, your not responsible for them.

Paid with in 30 days of billing..... Your being sneaky with that statement, and the good GC's catch that one. but bill the first day you start,:yes:, you can always submit a 2nd bill later if any extras occur.

With the paint, you might want to put in brackets the type of paint or application your expecting. always push for the priming.

For pricing, I know 2 tapers 30 years ago who charged $100 bucks per box of mud they used(120 if they supplied). Sounds nuts but it sorta works. Don't know what that works out to in todays money, most be around the 200 buck range for sure. But you still tack on extra for crazy stuff like drive time or vaulted ceilings or cathedrals etc .

Small claims court, Go to the London court house, main floor. Think it cost $50 bucks to fill out the forums. You get to plead your case in front of a judge (like judge judy) Think you get a extra $450 if you win, claims must be under $5000. But small claims has no teeth to go after them if they don't comply with the ruling.

And don't tear the tapes off the walls either, the good ole days are gone:furious:, that just gets you jail time now. With our great communist laws. Even if you paid for all the materials, and you drop them off at the GC or HO job, they become theirs.

So always try to get them to supply on those small jobs, Tell them they can have the 13% HST credit. Unless you want it, but then it's not applicable if your working by the hour so......:whistling2:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dont work by the hour. For the screws get an Eastwing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, I love the whole world in the morning when I'm fresh, but don't you dare to criticize me after 9 hours of work:D Nah, I'm not that grumpy, after a good meal I'm back to good mannered Dr. Jackyll.

Hey, Rick, thanks for insight. I gotta find time and we argue about the merits and flaws of communism with a cup of coffee.

The guy offered to pay by the hour, not me.

Driving is going to take a good portion of paycheck. 3 day--almost a whole tank.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Yep, I love the whole world in the morning when I'm fresh, but don't you dare to criticize me after 9 hours of work:D Nah, I'm not that grumpy, after a good meal I'm back to good mannered Dr. Jackyll.

Hey, Rick, thanks for insight. I gotta find time and we argue about the merits and flaws of communism with a cup of coffee.

The guy offered to pay by the hour, not me.

Driving is going to take a good portion of paycheck. 3 day--almost a whole tank.
We can Argue about communism right here Valdemar:whistling2:

You can tell me the merits of communism, and I can tell you why their flawed:thumbup:

J/k:jester:

But yeah, we will meet for coffee one day this summer:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts