Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
I just recently decided to take the plunge and buy a can am semi angle kit. About 6 years ago I worked briefly for a taping company who ran bazookas, rollers and flushers and I learned how to roll and flush angles with great results. Since then I have hand taping on all my remodels and finally decided to buy the kit and tape using a compound tube, roller and flusher. I thought it was going to be great based on my past experience but I have been running into an issue. As you can see in the picture, it's not going so well. And that's not even the worst 馃槵
IMG_20210309_094910587.jpg

My first thought is that the mud was too thick and filling up the flusher and spilling out the sides. Then I started wondering if I am just out of practice and not pushing hard enough. Anyway, any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance!

Master Mud Monkey
I'm not sure what tools you bought but I think the angle head you bought is too small. Maybe one that is another half or inch wider would keep more mud so it won't flush out the sides like that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what tools you bought but I think the angle head you bought is too small. Maybe one that is another half or inch wider would keep more mud so it won't flush out the sides like that.
I suppose I didn't mention what tools I got. I picked up the Can-Am kit. So I applied the mud with a compound tube and corner applicator then set the tape and rolled it then flushed with the 2.5. when I noticed it wasn't working I switched to the 3" and still had the same problem.

Master Mud Monkey
Instead of a flusher try running your normal angle head. One with wheels if possible.

I usually use the bazooka or banjo then another guy comes behind running the roller and the third guy runs an angle head. If we have enough guys a 4th goes behind cleaning up any overly long tape, wiping runoff, and wiping the corners.

Maybe you are using too much material, if you can't adjust the speed the compound comes out you'll need to move the tool faster so less material is put in the same spot.

Just like any new tool you'll need to use it a few weeks or a month to get a hang of things.

Now that I think of it I had the same problem but it was all a problem with how much water to use how much pressure to put on the tools adjusting the amount of material released and general experience with the tool. Don't give up you'll learn how to use it well after a while. For now, just go back and do a quick wipe until you get the hang of it. Also, find the manual for your tool/ tool kit they might have the reason written down already. Use Google to find a manual if you need it. Or watch a YouTube video with the tools for a more visual learning experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Instead of a flusher try running your normal angle head. One with wheels if possible.

I usually use the bazooka or banjo then another guy comes behind running the roller and the third guy runs an angle head. If we have enough guys a 4th goes behind cleaning up any overly long tape, wiping runoff, and wiping the corners.

Maybe you are using too much material, if you can't adjust the speed the compound comes out you'll need to move the tool faster so less material is put in the same spot.

Just like any new tool you'll need to use it a few weeks or a month to get a hang of things.

Now that I think of it I had the same problem but it was all a problem with how much water to use how much pressure to put on the tools adjusting the amount of material released and general experience with the tool. Don't give up you'll learn how to use it well after a while. For now, just go back and do a quick wipe until you get the hang of it. Also, find the manual for your tool/ tool kit they might have the reason written down already. Use Google to find a manual if you need it. Or watch a YouTube video with the tools for a more visual learning experience.
Yeah im sorta thinking maybe i just need more practice with the tube. Cause i had experience with the roller and flusher from before but i never mixed the mud or ran the tube. It just looked so easy 馃槀 I figured id ask here though cause i couldn't seem to find anyone else with the same problem and thought maybe someone would have some insight. As long as its coating the tape properly on the second coat, I wont worry too much about the spilling for now until i get better with it.
Thanks for the help :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts