Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall! Thanks for help
This might have been called "flat box for dummies II"
I want to carify one more time in my country there are no atm tools and although I bought Jon Luman's dvd I'm waiting for it yet.
So here is the question

1) Do you ever use flat box 7or8" +10" +12" in this order?
2) in flats and butts?
3) someone wrote there was a guy that used just 12" box.. do you know a variant.. 8" + 10 in flat joints and 10" + 12" in butt joints.. or else..?
4) Do you coat butts fist the side then center?
like this drywallschool.com's picture?

5) I found 2 usg sheetrock muds here: green lid (Brand) and blue lid (Brand Plus 3™ Lightweight) Wich one in your opinion is better and wich one goes tape, first or second coat?? (we dont have another.. Knauf brand is german.. too thin.. liquid IMO, but good, not for atm tools I guess)

:confused1: Thank you!!

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Hi yall! Thanks for help
This might have been called "flat box for dummies II"
I want to carify one more time in my country there are no atm tools and although I bought Jon Luman's dvd I'm waiting for it yet.
So here is the question

1) Do you ever use flat box 7or8" +10" +12" in this order?
2) in flats and butts?
3) someone wrote there was a guy that used just 12" box.. do you know a variant.. 8" + 10 in flat joints and 10" + 12" in butt joints.. or else..?
4) Do you coat butts fist the side then center?
like this drywallschool.com's picture?

5) I found 2 usg sheetrock muds here: green lid (Brand) and blue lid (Brand Plus 3™ Lightweight) Wich one in your opinion is better and wich one goes tape, first or second coat?? (we dont have another.. Knauf brand is german.. too thin.. liquid IMO, but good, not for atm tools I guess)

I use 8 then 12 box now and works good!
Flats then butts!
Green lid is great for puttin on tapes but sinks a lot and is hard 2 sand! But ur stuff could b dif from the stuff in the uk!!
Blue lid for boxin nice 2 sand and sinks very little!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I run a 10" box on my 2nd coat and a 12" for my skim.
For the most part I do my butt joints by hand.
Sometimes i'll use a box if im really in a rush.
In which case, yes, you keep the wheels of your box on the middle of the tape, and coat both sides. After it dries, do a pass down the middle. As your photo illustrated.
I'll post a little clip for you soon. I'll work on the video now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Tape with the green lid. The blue get's a lot of air bubbles and is really too soft. The green shrinks and is hard to sand. Mix the green and blue lid 50/50 and you'll get midweight for all your coating.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
NO..two butt joints are the same.I feel it's better to finish them by hand..
Exactly!!
That's why I said above I rather coat them by hand.
Couldn't be more right Moore. Hehe, see what I did there!?

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Tape with the green lid. The blue get's a lot of air bubbles and is really too soft. The green shrinks and is hard to sand. Mix the green and blue lid 50/50 and you'll get midweight for all your coating.
I was going 2 try mixin them as i think it might b a good mix!!
I have been using all dif stuff at the moment and i dont really like none of it so it looks like i will b heading back 2 usg and thyin the 50/50 mix:yes:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I was going 2 try mixin them as i think it might b a good mix!!
I have been using all dif stuff at the moment and i dont really like none of it so it looks like i will b heading back 2 usg and thyin the 50/50 mix:yes:
We get midweight over here ,purple lid, and it's alright. It's my second choice after Lefarge rapid coat. I haven't tried much Goldbond muds. Anybody here favor any of those?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
We get midweight over here ,purple lid, and it's alright. It's my second choice after Lefarge rapid coat. I haven't tried much Goldbond muds. Anybody here favor any of those?
Yeah,,,Moore likes their black lid,,, cause its so dern hard to sand !!!!!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I use what they send me Capt,,:D Pro form changed there mix back in January ..NOT the same mix.. :furious: It's easy to sand!!!!!!
Nice! I wish we got mud in buckets....
Im always short on buckets around here!
Seems like you got plenty Moore!
Wanna ship me up a few?!?! :laughing:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I use what they send me Capt,,:D Pro form changed there mix back in January ..NOT the same mix.. :furious: It's easy to sand!!!!!!
Hey Moore, I see we both own the same Grass hog, and we both treat them the same:thumbup:

My neighbour calls me that "Rich guy who can keep his riding lawn mower outside for the whole winter":whistling2:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Hey Moore, I see we both own the same Grass hog, and we both treat them the same:thumbup:

My neighbour calls me that "Rich guy who can keep his riding lawn mower outside for the whole winter":whistling2:
That was my old one..I never kept it inside.. ;) I cleared some room for the new one .will see how long that last...Hell ...I may even change the oil in this one:rolleyes:..

The biggest problem here with keeping the grass hog out side are squirrels..Those tree rats make nest in it ,,and chew up the wiring .
I hate a f/n squirrel!

Attachments

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NO..two butt joints are the same.I feel it's better to finish them by hand..
Exactly!!
That's why I said above I rather coat them by hand.
Couldn't be more right Moore. Hehe, see what I did there!?
Thanks for your advice

However I found Jon Luman's vid (first with 7" then with 10"box) coating butts really nice (the "union" between the butt and flat..)
Know not new here just check

besides, seeing his dvd, he coats a short 1 ft long butt very impressive.. Does someone agree?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Thanks for your advice

However I found Jon Luman's vid (first with 7" then with 10"box) coating butts really nice (the "union" between the butt and flat..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-n2N_zWXg

besides, seeing his dvd, he coats a short 1 ft long butt very impressive.. Does someone agree?
I can't stand all these crappy youtube videos that look like they were shot by a cell phone and you have no idea what the guy is saying because of all the noise and distortion.

I understand when we do it! Cuz were on jobsites and we don't get paid to make videos. We just do it for the benefit of others on this site. So who cares if its shot with a point & shoot camera or a cell phone.

But these guys, who are trying to sell products, and you see them on half of the youtube drywalling and taping videos need to get their act together. These videos blow. Im gonna start making way better videos for everyone to enjoy and learn from! Screw these guys! :yes:

And guijarrero, we weren't arguing that you cant run a box on butt joints. Of course you can! You can run them on any butt joint you want my friend! But there's no guarantee it will turn out good. With a box, you can't feel the butt joint, you can't tell if it has a bigger hump, or if it needs to be filled to the left more, or the right.
Then when you come to do your final skim by hand or when you come to sand, you're screwed. Nothing like passing a pole sander over a bad butt joint and realizing you did a Sh!tty job! And it will happen if you decide to run boxes over every butt joint! You CAN do it! But I wouldn't. How much time are you really saving by having to go back and fix those after. None. Try running the box on them, but give them special attention afterwards! Don't assume everyone is good!

Boxes can make a perfect finish over a butt joint. But you need a perfect butt joint to do that! And we all know how many of those we get :whistling2:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Thanks for your advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-n2N_zWXg

I've seen that vid many times ..The comments are still fun to read..He's doing 2 bucks double boxing..One comment says that running the seam while still wet will cause it to crack...Not true...Running mud over wet tape will cause it to crack..

Guijarrero I'm new with the boxes :D Been playin around with the butt joins with my 10'' Luman sure makes it look easy is all i can say:rolleyes:

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
That guy is good:thumbsup: He flies on the tube:eek: looks pretty clean from what I see.... Id still smoke him on the boxes:yes:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
And guijarrero, we weren't arguing that you cant run a box on butt joints. Of course you can! You can run them on any butt joint you want my friend! But there's no guarantee it will turn out good. With a box, you can't feel the butt joint, you can't tell if it has a bigger hump, or if it needs to be filled to the left more, or the right.
Then when you come to do your final skim by hand or when you come to sand, you're screwed. Nothing like passing a pole sander over a bad butt joint and realizing you did a Sh!tty job! And it will happen if you decide to run boxes over every butt joint! You CAN do it! But I wouldn't. How much time are you really saving by having to go back and fix those after. None. Try running the box on them, but give them special attention afterwards! Don't assume everyone is good!

Boxes can make a perfect finish over a butt joint. But you need a perfect butt joint to do that! And we all know how many of those we get :whistling2:
Your joking right:blink:

Boxes run true my friend:yes:

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guijarrero I'm new with the boxes :D Been playin around with the butt joins with my 10'' Luman sure makes it look easy is all i can say
That guy is good:thumbsup: He flies on the tube:eek: looks pretty clean from what I see.... Id still smoke him on the boxes
Your joking right:blink:

Boxes run true my friend
Thank you all
I'm also new + I'm far from were beens are cooked (we say)
Got the point Prec Tap

I would really like to know if all you use the 3 box measures (7-8,10,12) or some, like Precision Taping posted 10+12 or Jon Luman in his DVD 7+10, when you have time:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts