Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
PT you have so much video to do , you should start a filming crew !!! I think that a video on setting the boxes woukd be welcome for a lot of drywaller here with the quality of your video !!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
PT you have so much video to do , you should start a filming crew !!! I think that a video on setting the boxes woukd be welcome for a lot of drywaller here with the quality of your video !!
Hahaha! I do have a sh!t load of videos to do!
Just finished the Delko Internal Applicator video. I'll upload that for you guys soon. oh! And I am my film crew! Director/Producer/Actor/Editor. I have one camera man! :yes:

Okay! Box video it is!
What would you guys like to see in a box video!? Break it down for me!
Get right into details. What does everyone want to see?
Tell me and i'll make it.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Hahaha! I do have a sh!t load of videos to do!
Just finished the Delko Internal Applicator video. I'll upload that for you guys soon. oh! And I am my film crew! Director/Producer/Actor/Editor. I have one camera man! :yes:

Okay! Box video it is!
What would you guys like to see in a box video!? Break it down for me!
Get right into details. What does everyone want to see?
Tell me and i'll make it.
Well, they are straight forward, but I guess for newbs.....

How to install the blades
what the shoes are, and why you should not run on them
how on a flat surface a penny should slide under the middle of blade (wide open)
How to put more of a crown on them using a 2x4
proper blade adjustment.
Running with no springs, one spring or both springs.... pro's and con's
running them on the wheels or not
explain all the different sized boxes,
why to keep dial in off position when not in use
explain the different type handles

That's 15 pieces of advice at 2bucks a piece....... you owe me 30bucks PT:whistling2:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

how on a flat surface a penny should slide under the middle of blade (wide open)
proper blade adjustment.

That's 15 pieces of advice at 2bucks a piece....... you owe me 30bucks PT:whistling2:
Okay, well half the stuff you mentioned I don't even know how to do myself. lol! I know they are simple but I've never had to do them.
How to put more of a crown using a 2x4? Never done that.
I'll have to give you a call before I start this video 2buck. You can run a few tips by me.

So pt do you use a 7 before the 10 and then a 12 or do you do 10 10 12
Nope. I only do 2 coats man. I've never had to do more.
I tape, run my 10", then run my 12". Done. I don't understand why some people run a 7" or an 8" or run their 10" twice.
I only pass my boxes twice. And I get a perfect job!

If you watch the video in my signature "How to run a flat box", that's all I do. Next day, pass the 12".

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Okay, well half the stuff you mentioned I don't even know how to do myself. lol! I know they are simple but I've never had to do them.
How to put more of a crown using a 2x4? Never done that.
I'll have to give you a call before I start this video 2buck. You can run a few tips by me
Holy:blink:, consulting by phone, I shall half to check what my fee is for that

I could love doing business with you, I said in my previous post, 2bucks a suggestion, and there were 15 for 30 bucks, but was there 15 suggestions (10):whistling2:

Any time you need some advice

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Holy:blink:, consulting by phone, I shall half to check what my fee is for that

I could love doing business with you, I said in my previous post, 2bucks a suggestion, and there were 15 for 30 bucks, but was there 15 suggestions (10):whistling2:

Any time you need some advice
Hahaha!
Cheque's on it's way!
2buck check.jpg

·
Niagara House Crafters
200 Posts

proper blade adjustment.

What 2buck said. :yes: But... anything you have time for! :thumbup:

scott

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
sure thing

As soon as your 1st cheque clears :whistling2:
If it doesn't clear it's because I had to buy another gallon of Venetian plaster for somebody's daughter in law :whistling2:

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
Most boxes are the same, for your 10" coat use a 2-3 setting, for you 12" use a 4-5 setting. The dial setting is for the amount of mud that you want released not how the mud goes on the wall.

This is our operations manual, it might help:
http://www.columbiatools.com/media/pdf/manual.pdf
so Aaron why did you fellas switch from the blade holder before to brass

I remember the days of the old blade holder slide a penny through the middle and you had a nice controllable curve or arc as you say, so why brass?:blink:

·
REPAIR GUY
128 Posts
Hello Anton, welcome to the forum,

You don't want to set your blade flat you want to have an arc in it so that your mud tapers off on its edges.

What you need to do is place the box "blade down as if you were running it" and "0 setting on the dial" onto a table or flat plate and check to see what it looks like it should have and even arc from one end of the blade to the other. If there isn't you need to put an arc into it, you can do this by putting your thumbs on the lip of the rollface "where the door stops are" and pulling down on the blade bar with your fingers to put an arc into it. You can also take the box and run the blade on setting 0 up and down length wise on a piece of wood to put the arc into it.

The problem you are having is probably because both edges of the blade aren't touching the wall when you're running it, this should solve that. If there is an even arc in the blade already the blade bar could be "loose in the shoes" causing the blade to float on the wall. Check to see if you can move the Blade bar on each end that it is held by the shoes, if there is movement you need to tighten your shoes up so that there is no movement. Using a set of pliers pull the upper and lower shoes together to close them onto the blade bar, don't close them too hard though because you don't want to bend the lip of the upper shoe upwards.

I hope this helps,
Aarons the man -if you can understand the lingo, capt. Sheetrock dumbed it down for ya...
Really impressed how Columbia is doing troubleshooting on a tapetech product :eek:
all advice on tools is hard to understand without pics... luckily im in my shop and got a few handy, I will post back in a bit :thumbsup:

·
REPAIR GUY
128 Posts
Aarons the man -if you can understand the lingo, capt. Sheetrock dumbed it down for ya...
Really impressed how Columbia is doing troubleshooting on a tapetech product :eek:
all advice on tools is hard to understand without pics... luckily im in my shop and got a few handy, I will post back in a bit :thumbsup:
Arching the blade holder

ForumRunner_20130321_010402.jpg

ForumRunner_20130321_010847.jpg

ForumRunner_20130321_010918.jpg
This last pic is how I give the new blade a "s curve" to keep it held in the holder

Attachments

·
REPAIR GUY
128 Posts

proper blade adjustment.

Proper blade height above shoe/skid (same goes for angle head blades)
I want 2bucks.....
No sheep accepted

ForumRunner_20130321_012133.jpg

21 - 40 of 41 Posts