Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many are using this on all there jobs on flats and butts with no call backs on any joint failure. is there better results with hot mud or all purpose. tried a little today on some patches and worked nice. <br>

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thats all I have really used it on too is patches. I think I have gone through 6 rolls worth of patches though :eek:. It is my favorite tape to use by far.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I used it on a small job I did for my sister, was a one room reno, did flats and butts with it, think I did the angles with paper. Haven't been back to see it, but I thought it was nice stuff. Very little pressure needed to wipe the tape as the mud can come through it, and not have to be pushed out around it.

My issue with it is the cost, from all-wall $4+/ 250' roll. Not cheap. Just like collated screws, unless you supply your own materials, good luck getting someone to stock it for you. Other than that, I'd use it again.

Reactions: msd

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Anyone running it through a taper? I ran it through mine and had no issues with the gooser pin shredding it. For those that did have that problem, what did you do to fix it? I was thinking that a pencil eraser stuck on the needle might work.... Might have to patent that idea :D

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
how many are using this on all there jobs on flats and butts with no call backs on any joint failure. is there better results with hot mud or all purpose. tried a little today on some patches and worked nice. <br>
Only places I still choose paper over FibaFuse is in the corners, and prefer paper if someone I'm not sure about is wiping butt tapes - that they might wipe too tight on some butt joints and cut the FF too much.

Some butt joints wiped too tight is the only place I know of that we've had problems so far when it comes to FF.

Anyone running it through a taper? I ran it through mine and had no issues with the gooser pin shredding it. For those that did have that problem, what did you do to fix it? I was thinking that a pencil eraser stuck on the needle might work.... Might have to patent that idea :D
FibaFuse runs nice through all our tapers - Columbia, TapeTech, Northstar. Even the old diehards we have are sold on it.
One I was talking with the other day mentioned he was thinking to pull his gooser needle back a bit for it.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
In the last 3 days alone I've gone through almost 25 rolls.
I love the stuff!!! Absolutely love it!
As has been mentioned, it's a little tricky in the corners when taping by hand. Have to be careful, the putty knives will cut into a bit..
It works phenomenally well through a bazooka with roller and flusher. My corners have never looked so nice and the 3-ways are absolutely the easiest to pick.
After these last few days and how fast and effective I find FibaFuse I truthfully don't ever see myself going back to paper tape.

I could care less of how much it costs.
I mean locally, a 250" roll is like 7.50$ which is expensive, so I'm going to start buying all my rolls from WallTools and just charge more.

In my opinion it's one of the best new technological advancements in taping, and anyone who hasn't tried it yet, I strongly recommend it.
Especially if using auto-tools!
It wipes down so fast and smooth.

It has my approval! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
It's good stuff. Period.

I generally use it with hot mud and glue. But....never in angles:no:
I only started using it in the angles these last two days Slim and truthfully I'm very excited to finish them and see how they turn out, because it was so much faster and easier it was amazing.
So as long as it's not compromising quality I will keep on using it in the angles.

I'm curious to hear what Saskataper has to say about this.
As far as I know, he's hardly ever even used paper tape. He was trained on FibaFuse and that's all he uses.
Look forward to hearing from him.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
I only started using it in the angles these last two days Slim and truthfully I'm very excited to finish them and see how they turn out, because it was so much faster and easier it was amazing.
So as long as it's not compromising quality I will keep on using it in the angles.

I'm curious to hear what Saskataper has to say about this.
As far as I know, he's hardly ever even used paper tape. He was trained on FibaFuse and that's all he uses.
Look forward to hearing from him.
I suppose it depends on how you're wiping the angles down. It seems like a flusher might be gentle enough, but I hand wipe (stone-age pickins, they call me) and on rare occasion I will slice paper tape.....FibaFuse wouldn't make it through intact.

By the way, package didn't make it into the mail today, I'm going to get it ready tonight though.

And, I think I just ate a pound of almonds.:sick:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I suppose it depends on how you're wiping the angles down. It seems like a flusher might be gentle enough, but I hand wipe (stone-age pickins, they call me) and on rare occasion I will slice paper tape.....FibaFuse wouldn't make it through intact.

By the way, package didn't make it into the mail today, I'm going to get it ready tonight though.

And, I think I just ate a pound of almonds.:sick:
Oh okay! Ya, if you're wiping your angles down by hand I would definitely stick to paper.
I haven't tried using my angle head over it yet, I will for my final pass, but to apply the tape, the flusher seems to embed it a little more, leaves a little more mud on top which is what I want.

I didn't know you did your angles by hand slim, not a fan of flushers? Or is it just not worth it with the amount of reno's?

And oh no! A pound almonds!? lol!
Move over 2buck, here comes NotSoSlimPickins! :laughing:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Do you know if the 500' rolls fit on a bazooka? I've never seen how big they are...
Diameter will usually be Very close to the space between the 2 pins that your tape roll retainer wire fits into. You might even have to move the pins out a touch if you find things a bit tight before the 1st couple wraps peel off.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Diameter will usually be Very close to the space between the 2 pins that your tape roll retainer wire fits into. You might even have to move the pins out a touch if you find things a bit tight before the 1st couple wraps peel off.
Good to know! Thanks man!

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Oh okay! Ya, if you're wiping your angles down by hand I would definitely stick to paper.
I haven't tried using my angle head over it yet, I will for my final pass, but to apply the tape, the flusher seems to embed it a little more, leaves a little more mud on top which is what I want.

I didn't know you did your angles by hand slim, not a fan of flushers? Or is it just not worth it with the amount of reno's?

And oh no! A pound almonds!? lol!
Move over 2buck, here comes NotSoSlimPickins! :laughing:
You nailed it....so many renovations, and not many over 20 boards. This last garage was 30 sheets, and that's the biggest job I've had since last fall.

Even 30 sheets..... bead, tape, top in a day, skim the next, sand and done on the 3rd (1/2 day).

I think about running the tools again sometimes, but then I find a new saw/router/hand plane/random high quality sharp thing to spend my money on :laughing: I'm still called upon to do drywall on a regular basis, but I'm getting a lot more calls about full remodel these days.........never a dull moment:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
You nailed it....so many renovations, and not many over 20 boards. This last garage was 30 sheets, and that's the biggest job I've had since last fall.

Even 30 sheets..... bead, tape, top in a day, skim the next, sand and done on the 3rd (1/2 day).

I think about running the tools again sometimes, but then I find a new saw/router/hand plane/random high quality sharp thing to spend my money on :laughing: I'm still called upon to do drywall on a regular basis, but I'm getting a lot more calls about full remodel these days.........never a dull moment:thumbsup:
Whatever works eh bro.
How do you apply your tapes then? Just by hand? Or do you use a banjo or something?

And I've seen your woodwork, I would call on you for that too!

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Whatever works eh bro.
How do you apply your tapes then? Just by hand? Or do you use a banjo or something?

And I've seen your woodwork, I would call on you for that too!
Depending on the job, I'll use whatever is fastest or whatever makes the schedule work properly. It's a mix nowadays of mesh and FibaFuse, with paper in the angles always. I use the "dunny brush" to load the angles, my finger is the roller, and I wipe with a 5".

I've got a bigger job coming up later this year, but I'm probably going to have to sub out the tape/top/skim on it because it needs to be done on the cheap, and there are plenty of guys out there who work for less than I do. Then I'll come in and make it look nice.

Just ate another handful of almonds. :blink:

(and thank you for the compliment!:yes:)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Depending on the job, I'll use whatever is fastest or whatever makes the schedule work properly. It's a mix nowadays of mesh and FibaFuse, with paper in the angles always. I use the "dunny brush" to load the angles, my finger is the roller, and I wipe with a 5".

I've got a bigger job coming up later this year, but I'm probably going to have to sub out the tape/top/skim on it because it needs to be done on the cheap, and there are plenty of guys out there who work for less than I do. Then I'll come in and make it look nice.

Just ate another handful of almonds. :blink:

(and thank you for the compliment!:yes:)
Lol! Finger roller! Nice one! You should patent that stuff.

I hate working behind other people. Over someone else's work..yuck..
I got a call like that this week.
I job I looked at like 2-3 months ago, they decided to hire someone else instead of me, they said this other guy was like 3g's cheaper.
Anyways, my time frame was two weeks to finish the job. Board and Tape.
The guy they decided to hire has been there for 2 and half months!
So the home owner called me up apologizing for not having used us in the first place and blah blah blah, he wanted me to come in and finish this other guys work, it's about 80% done...blah blah blah.

I just said sorry, not interested. We're too busy.
Then the home owner called me back and said, can you at least just come look at the job to give me an idea of how much I should be paying this idiot? :blink:
Apparently the guy they hired decided his price was too low and now wanted more money but he's taking too long so they don't want him to finish. lol.

I might pop in with my video camera just for a good laugh for every one. lol

Easy on those Almonds there boy!
Haha. Actually I like peanuts as well! I should buy some tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.