Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to do a tray ceiling in one room of a condo where I just removed the popcorn, turns out its concrete so whats the best way to fasten the 2x2s? tapcons seem like overkill and a lot of work, I was thinking glue, but how to hold them up while it sets

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
steel track, and a fastrak or hilti would work. If using wood, glue and concrete nails should work depending on size and weight of materials used. I would go with the steel track or steel 2 " studs:yes: and a trakfast would be the tool used to fasten

Reactions: gordie and Perkcon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chris has the right idea, steel is faster and easier to install. I lieu of studs use 7/8" hat channel. A track fast or ramset would be ideal to fasten the steel with.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
steel track, and a fastrak or hilti would work. If using wood, glue and concrete nails should work depending on size and weight of materials used. I would go with the steel track or steel 2 " studs:yes: and a trakfast would be the tool used to fasten
The question would be..........how old is the concrete?

Also, would you want straight fasteners holding up your ceiling?

I'd go with mechanical fasteners, even if it seems like a pain in the ass. I'd use glue in addition to the fasteners. That way you can use less fasteners but still be assured it will stay up there. And, if you use steel, you'll have less material that you have to drill through and can use shorter fasteners.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
TUCO:yes: 1 sheet at a time .. glue the mofo out it 1 tube per sheet ..lift sheet to place then let it set over night with the lift set tight. then repeat.
I've done walls this way ..never a ceiling tho.:D Make sure the surface of the concrete is clean...you know that...:yes:
:eek:

So.........20 days for a 20 sheet lid? :laughing:

(I'm just messing, I know you're joking.)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
You like to rub it in don't cha !:yes: I threw a fit today at the supply ..they sent a load of USG board to a job that was below generic...I was like WTF GUYS!!! They said ..oh... we got a great deal on that load of rock ..were trying to keep things cost effective.. Watch out Mr. Holt ..I'm a Florida boy by birth the hot and humid don't bother me one bit:whistling2:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Well come on over Mr Moore :yes:. You dont have to worry about the humid bit here, it is hot and dry. I cant remember the last time we had rain. We have bush fires down south where I live, and up north they have had floods. I spoke with one of my relations that lives in Gladston QLD, and they had 800mm ( about 31.5 inches) of rain in a day.:eek:

On another subject I was speaking with a drywaller from the USA the other day, he has been working over here for a few months. An he want to take our hot muds to the states. He was amassed at the difference. He said one of the main things was that our mud didnt go lumpy as he was using it, the mud stayed workable through out its life. It says on the bag 45 min, and you get 45 min. He commented that that is not the case in the states.

·
Registered
31 Posts
use hat channel, and shoot it with a track fast or a hilit. that will be the fastest rout

union carpenter here in pittsburgh

personally, I would drop my ceiling 4'' or so and run chicago grid and hang to that I would shoot my wire hangers in with a hilti and run with it. more than likely that ceiling is a way out of level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.