Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much extra does anybody charge when knuckleheads don't use 54" drywall on 9' walls. They tend to use 4' out here & expect the price to remain the same!!!!!! Cheers & thanks PrecisionTaping dude

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
How much extra does anybody charge when knuckleheads don't use 54" drywall on 10' walls. They tend to use 8' out here & expect the price to remain the same!!!!!!
What good is 54" on 10ft walls?
You still get an extra seem. :laughing:
I think you meant 9ft walls bro. And I also think you meant to say they tend to use 48"...
Actually, let me just rephrase that whole thing for you.

"How much extra does anybody charge when knuckleheads don't use 54" drywall on 9' walls. They tend to use 48" out here & expect the price to remain the same!!!!!!"

Is that more or less what you were trying to get across?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
lol! You're welcome poozer dude.
And to answer your original question I really don't know...
It's allot of extra work for nothing having that extra seem. Just figure out what your time is worth man. Talk to the contractor and tell him, hey, if this was boarded properly you would have had less waste in drywall, less money tied up in labour prices and less potential for seem failure down the road. It's hard to hide big butt joints right down the middle of a wall just because they didn't get 54".
Explain it to the GC and tell him you gotta charge a few extra bucks. Calculate your time you think it will take and how much money you think your time is worth. Everyone's time is different.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
It's not my job to play grammar police.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
What do you have to complain about Slim? :laughing:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Nothing, I have an awesome family, I'm working, I have my health and a delightful cigarette addiction, I haven't had a drink in 4 years as of the 7th of this month and my children still like to hug me and hold my hand.
well happy 4th year bro! That's a good accomplishment.
What about the grammar? Is it me!? haha

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
How much extra does anybody charge when knuckleheads don't use 54" drywall on 9' walls. They tend to use 4' out here & expect the price to remain the same!!!!!! Cheers & thanks PrecisionTaping dude
If what you mean is you end up with two horizontal joins instead one if using the wider sheets then I would charge half as much again, there is double the joins but the internal and external corners remain the same.....if in doubt charge it out :yes:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Explain how there material cost Is more. more scrap rock. more mud. more tape. Not to mention your extra time @ effort...Less joints ..Better the finish job.:yes: Are you putting your rips in the middle? Please say no!:jester::D

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the extra joint is down low you should allow for getting a hernia bending over and trying to run the boxes. Thats a crap job.

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
bellyband for sure. 54" is more expensive and usually only available in 12' legths. The guy is just tryrin to save a buck..I guess it comes down to how bad you need the work. Bellybands dont scare me

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
bellyband for sure. 54" is more expensive and usually only available in 12' legths. The guy is just tryrin to save a buck..I guess it comes down to how bad you need the work. Bellybands dont scare me

Man that sucks. We get 54" board in 20' lengths. I will post a pic tomorrow.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
I'd rather run double seams all day than 20' butt joints Chris. But that's just me.;) I can't remember the last time I run a belly band ..89 maybe? On 10' ceilings I preferr the rip up top. Run the seam off stilts.. :thumbsup:

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Jesus, do you guys charge extra for every screw that is sticking out too?
Damn straight...I can deal with one or two a room but anymore and it messes up my rhythm...start lettin a few screws go, then a couple busted corners....next thing you know you might as well have boarded the freaking place....trust me, I see it way too often...:yes:

And I don't think anyone is "scared" of that middle rip, but what it boils down to is you're going around that house twice...sorry, but we're in this to make as much money as possible, not give it away...:rolleyes:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
You charge him a extra cent

around these parts, you charge a extra cent for the 9 foot high, then another cent if there's a belly belt.:thumbup:

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
A wing Im doing on house now is 9'6" and the other wing is 9'8"...:blink: In last vid i posted thet was bellyband (Heartrock Ranch Vid) Sometimes a bellyband is wisest choice IMO. Theres a trick to that one:whistling2:. Hey Moore, you would really rather jump on stilts for high joint?? Sheesh, thats why I started allowing bellybands

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
A wing Im doing on house now is 9'6" and the other wing is 9'8"...:blink: In last vid i posted thet was bellyband (Heartrock Ranch Vid) Sometimes a bellyband is wisest choice IMO. Theres a trick to that one:whistling2:. Hey Moore, you would really rather jump on stilts for high joint?? Sheesh, thats why I started allowing bellybands
NOT trying to start a fight with ya chris ,,but I'd rather run 20 seams than have to f with a bunch of long butt joints..hell.. put the rip at the bottom I'll fight it... I'm not an old man ,,but I can remember when the 54s were not avalible ...I never want to see another belly band as long as I live.. :no::no:

but then you say theres a trick....:eek:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts