Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a huge fan of vertical drywall sheets in on walls and butt boards on the ceilings. I think it should be industry standard to eliminate butt joints in new home construction. As a smooth/flat wall drywall finisher the hardest and most time consuming joint could just disappear in most circumstances. I never understood why some finishers are resistant to it. Flats are way easier to finish even when they run vertically. Just my thoughts, feel free to weigh in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am a huge fan of vertical drywall sheets in on walls and butt boards on the ceilings. I think it should be industry standard to eliminate butt joints in new home construction. As a smooth/flat wall d
I am a huge fan of vertical drywall sheets in on walls and butt boards on the ceilings. I think it should be industry standard to eliminate butt joints in new home construction. As a smooth/flat wall drywall finisher the hardest and most time consuming joint could just disappear in most circumstances. I never understood why some finishers are resistant to it. Flats are way easier to finish even when they run vertically. Just my thoughts, feel free to weigh in.
rywall finisher the hardest and most time consuming joint could just disappear in most circumstances. I never understood why some finishers are resistant to it. Flats are way easier to finish even when they run vertically. Just my thoughts, feel free to weigh in.
Yes and no ive had the agruement with several contractors, once i was done and primer out they couldn't find one butt joint

·
Master Mud Monkey
212 Posts
  • Hides uneven studs – Hanging horizontally also allows the drywall to flow over the framing so that bowed studs create less of a problem. If the drywall were hung vertically and a seam placed on a bowed out stud, the seam would be magnified because of the bump in the wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts