Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Drywall King!
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job im doing out there and will be sending my guys, but was wondering if any of my DT people are out this way looking for some more work. PM me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am based in Tulsa, Ok and I have done some work around the Dallas and Austin area. I know a couple hanging and finishing crews there, if you're interested send me a pm and I will give you the contact info. I know that Texas footage prices are really low compared to most other areas. I have lost two local large projects to Texas contractors and I talked to the hangers at one multi-family and they were paying $3.36 for a 4x12 and they had to stock it from the parking lot for an extra .48 cents per sheet. Then I knew how they beat us even though they had to travel 450 miles. I don't know if it is like that everywhere in Texas but that is what they were paying the crews on the jobs I bid here in Tulsa.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't understand why a hanger would work that cheap. When I started hanging in 1971, we made $1.68 per 12'. I understand variations in markets, but making $100 a day hanging drywall is insane.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
I am based in Tulsa, Ok and I have done some work around the Dallas and Austin area. I know a couple hanging and finishing crews there, if you're interested send me a pm and I will give you the contact info. I know that Texas footage prices are really low compared to most other areas. I have lost two local large projects to Texas contractors and I talked to the hangers at one multi-family and they were paying $3.36 for a 4x12 and they had to stock it from the parking lot for an extra .48 cents per sheet. Then I knew how they beat us even though they had to travel 450 miles. I don't know if it is like that everywhere in Texas but that is what they were paying the crews on the jobs I bid here in Tulsa.
I can't understand why a hanger would work that cheap. When I started hanging in 1971, we made $1.68 per 12'. I understand variations in markets, but making $100 a day hanging drywall is insane.
Tacos!!!!:yes:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Drywall is cutthroat in texas. Pay seems to be .20-27 a sq ft hung, atleast for restruants and other small jobs . Usually run by a shark paying $16 to his top man. Thats commercial. In Texas resdential doesnt pay chit. Residential is where you see the $3.50-4.00 sheets going up.. Its rough out here, thats why we have to diversify our skill sets, most illegals are not trusted with commercial doors, frp and suspended ceilings so thats where the real money is at. Getting on piece work is still viable if you are gettin it.

I cant fathom how tough it would be for a finisher. Most the finishers out here just gob on mud and haphazardly and spend 90% sanding. I see a decent taper maybe 1 in 5-6 jobs. Ive talked to several that speak english. They generally make between $8-12 hourly. Good luck competing. Ive seen 1-2 english speaking/legal finisher crews in the past year or so. I dont know they do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Send me a pm and I can send you the contacts that I know. If you are familiar with MSI, they are basically a labor broker. They charge $20 per man but cover ins, if you don't like them or don't think they are worth it, call and swap with a different crew or individual. Also, I have a couple other hangers/finishers numbers. Good luck

·
Registered
252 Posts
Send me a pm and I can send you the contacts that I know. If you are familiar with MSI, they are basically a labor broker. They charge $20 per man but cover ins, if you don't like them or don't think they are worth it, call and swap with a different crew or individual. Also, I have a couple other hangers/finishers numbers. Good luck
Ive worked with MSI personally at my old company when we needed extra hands. The guys they sent out here were lazy and godawful workers. I wouldnt risk your name suggesting those jokes. They charge $20+ for essentially unskilled day laborers. The guys I saw werent fit for exterior sheathing..

If any of you guys need help in north TX and dfw area let me know. Ive got a small EFFECTIVE crew and contacts for a pretty large crew should I need one. I specialize in restruants and office finishout but do plenty of other stuff as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
normally I'm a DIY guy - but I'm in DFW, TX and wanting to see about getting my garage ceiling redone with new drywall. (18x20 roughly) (currently 1/3 of the ceiling has been removed, rest would need to be torn out) standard two car garage with washer/dryer area

Can anyone point me to someone local who might be able to do the work? Wishing I could do it myself, but it's mostly a 2+ person job and just don't have the free time to handle it on my own. No rush really either, looking to get some ballpark numbers and maybe move on it in a month or two.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since I posted that about MSI I have talked to a couple of other contractor friend of mine and was informed they have changed ownership. The last time I had them on a job was probably over 10 years ago and they were good at least on the jobs we used them on but my friend told me some horror stories as of late. There are starting to be several of these "labor brokers" popping up and it seems like its a way to get around the E-Verify and payroll taxes. Off topic but since I started in the trade in 1989 I have seen a substantial decline (like 90%) of American drywallers. I myself am still proud to be a drywaller and love my trade. I am worried about a labor shortage so I am implementing an apprenticeship, actual hands on training to hopefully after the next several years develop some good finishers/rockers/framers. So sorry for recommending MSI, live and learn. Mike

·
Drywall Know-it-All
48 Posts
Nevermind, just saw the date on this. Down here in San Antonio, $2.25-$2.75 a 4x8 board to hang on homes with 8' ceilings. finishers get paid the same, and texture crews $1.20 a 4x8 to Monterey Drag. No americans that I know of down here. All MexiCAN.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Nevermind, just saw the date on this. Down here in San Antonio, $2.25-$2.75 a 4x8 board to hang on homes with 8' ceilings. finishers get paid the same, and texture crews $1.20 a 4x8 to Monterey Drag. No americans that I know of down here. All MexiCAN.
THAT IS A STUPID LABOR PRICE!!! I want to say more.....But it's best I don't!!!

·
Drywall Know-it-All
48 Posts
THAT IS A STUPID LABOR PRICE!!! I want to say more.....But it's best I don't!!!
hey moore, i know its pissing you off but thats whats going on right now. Thats for the very small production homes, all square corners, all 8' ceilings and no boxes or stepceilings. 150-180 sheets, my guys can knock out two houses a day. Crew of 5 guys. they work like monkeys.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts