Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing an attic and have 2 sloped walls to hang. The framing is not great and would be very difficult to get both sheets to land on 1 stud (2x6) without cutting polygons on all sheets. So i have thought of 2 solutions and would like some opinions on how to proceed.

I could land the seam to fall in between the studs and use some plywood or 1x3 as a backer. The shet would be fastned to the stud 8" away.

Option 2 could be attacked a 2x4 stud on the side of the 2x6 wall stud to create a extra wide surface to attach on to and thus being able to keep the drywall straight and would have enough room to land the seam over 3" width material.

I am using standard 4x8 sheets 1/2" lightweight. Fastening with standard drywall screws. the wall slope is 45 degrees. The wall in insulated and sealed with vapor barrier.

Thoughts? Advice?

Master Mud Monkey
If you dont mind the hassle and cost just buy a bunch of furring strip board and screw/nail the furring boards onto the junky frame horizontally

#

It'll look like that I guess, I don't have any pictures of examples but just frame all the sides 鈻 so there's a place to screw the edges of the drywall into. I've done that in older homes with bad framing before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts