Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
General Contractor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of a down-to-the-studs renovation on a 1967 built home in Michigan. (24" OC ceiling trusses, 16" OC walls on first floor, 12" walls OC on the second floor)

All of the original drywall was installed with nails and black glue (ceiling and walls). The issue I have is that the remaining glue on the studs is very hard and quite uneven in some spots. Any thoughts on how best to remove or flatten it? I have a power plane but it will gum-up and damage the blade fast. I tried a wide-blade scraper but it was terribly inefficient. I thought about a belt sander, but I suspect it will gum up the belt fast and create some nasty dust (I can use a mask and dust collector if needed). Any other tools I'm not thinking about?

Am I being overly concerned that this glue will affect my ability to get flat ceilings/walls, will also keep the board from sitting flat against the studs and will cause grief with inconsistent screw penetration? Pics attached. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wood Wood stain Material property Hardwood Tints and shades
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Brown Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Natural material Gas Electric blue Knot

·
Registered
29 Posts
total glue failure..... either glue was dry or board never touched the stud. 3/4" sharp wood chisel will make quick work...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts