Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Clearly I'm not seeing something then so explain it? Lower the difficulty of learning? I don't see how you can solve an equation without a dimension? What number post did you mention a dimension?
Plug any number you want for the segment AB. 3' 0" might be a typical opening. Plug any S in you want. 6" might work. Or 8" if you like. That gives you your arc (top of arch). But then you need to figure the radius of the arc. That is where the formula comes in. Any dimension can possibly work. Much like the Pythagorean theorem that I believe you referred to earlier. On any right triangle, A squared plus B squared equal C squared , where segment C is the hypotenuse. Exact dimensions of right triangle doesn't matter. The theorem works for them all, provided one angle is square.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Converted to inches it is numerator, (6) squared plus (36/2) squared over denominator (6+6).

(36+324) ***360
_______ = ______ = 30 inches for the radius.
** 12 *******12

Don't mind the asterisks. They are space keepers only. equations are difficult using the dialogue box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Speaking of arches(But this isn't an arch)
This is a cooker hood I tackled today!
Tell u what that chit that straight flex does for arches is SH*T!!:furious:
Ripped the crap off again and did the hood my own way!:thumbup:
Only 1 coat on it not finished!
Sexy!

I bet you did not get text books out, just got on with it.. Practically.

Looks nice! Don't get arches on site in the uk any more, they have squared all those off so just like a normal door frame now but used to do loads.

Easy to Tape, as long as the border did not leave a hexagon. As long as it's in reach from the floor I never found doing them to take any more time than a normal window.

That beast you have done vanman is a little different , good skills on show!

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Sexy!

I bet you did not get text books out, just got on with it.. Practically.

Looks nice! Don't get arches on site in the uk any more, they have squared all those off so just like a normal door frame now but used to do loads.

Easy to Tape, as long as the border did not leave a hexagon. As long as it's in reach from the floor I never found doing them to take any more time than a normal window.

That beast you have done vanman is a little different , good skills on show!
Bitch of a thing and 2.7 ceiling height also!:(

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Looks good, Van. :thumbsup:

Don't know what your problem was with the arch straight flex, but we used some on some trick curved bulkheads and curved free standing dividers the other week. Worked good.

The straightflex we used came in 10' sticks and had a steel backbone running through the center part, if yours was different. Wasn't stocked by our supplier - was a special order.

http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...-90°-arched-corner-bead-sell-sheet-en-can.pdf

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Looks good, Van. :thumbsup:

Don't know what your problem was with the arch straight flex, but we used some on some trick curved bulkheads and curved free standing dividers the other week. Worked good.

The straightflex we used came in 10' sticks and had a steel backbone running through the center part, if yours was different. Wasn't stocked by our supplier - was a special order.

http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...-90°-arched-corner-bead-sell-sheet-en-can.pdf
It came in a roll!
U get ur length sorted then peel 1 side off! SH*T that's all I can say about it!:furious: £50 a roll also!:blink:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
It came in a roll!
U get ur length sorted then peel 1 side off! SH*T that's all I can say about it!:furious: £50 a roll also!:blink:
With the stuff we used, it was pre-bent to 90 degrees, and we pealed both sides off. Found that the tabs would more consistently sit better on both sides, then.

For getting the length to use, way we did it was wrap the curves with it, and cut it off wherever it came to a straight run part. After a couple of those pieces were on, then paper metal bead was cut to fit in the areas between them. The paper metal married up nicely to the straightflex - same height profile. Bulkheads were painted red, with natural sun coming in, so they were level 5ed, using mud. Looked good.

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
With the stuff we used, it was pre-bent to 90 degrees, and we pealed both sides off. Found that the tabs would more consistently sit better on both sides, then.

For getting the length to use, way we did it was wrap the curves with it, and cut it off wherever it came to a straight run part. After a couple of those pieces were on, then paper metal bead was cut to fit in the areas between them. The paper metal married up nicely to the straightflex - same height profile. Bulkheads were painted red, with natural sun coming in, so they were level 5ed, using mud. Looked good.
No pre bent here just sh*t on a roll!!:(

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
No pre bent here just sh*t on a roll!!:(
I talked other week with a guy who knows a guy who had dealings with the owner of Straight-flex. He said the owner gets an idea and then doesn't test it, just makes it and puts it out. If true or close to true, I guess it's left to us to sort the Straight-flex wheat from the Straight-flex chaff.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
What bead did you use Van? What was your way? Looks great! [as always!]

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts

I Don't think I've ever used a straight flex product that was worth using .

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
They have a product that is basically no coat... don't use it though. We often buy the arch flex on a roll. Really helps with some of the curved walls we do.

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
I Don't think I've ever used a straight flex product that was worth using .
So you're saying you don't really know what you're doing when it comes to using trims? :whistling2: :D ;)

Their Midflex 300 has worked fine for me in the places I've used it. A guy I was helping with a house the other week used a bit of I think Midflex 250 in some out of the way off angles in a couple closets. Seemed okay for that.

The guy who took over the 2nd part of the commercial job from me - the lead taper for the company I was doing sub work for - said "Good call", when he tried a stick of the arch bead. I suggested we should order some in for those particular bulkheads, based on a sample I had. He especially liked how the steel backbone helped with the curves, which helped straighten out some bulkhead framing and boarding issues. The low profile was nice to work with, too.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
So you're saying you don't really know what you're doing when it comes to using trims? :whistling2: :D ;)

Their Midflex 300 has worked fine for me in the places I've used it. A guy I was helping with a house the other week used a bit of I think Midflex 250 in some out of the way off angles in a couple closets. Seemed okay for that.

The guy who took over the 2nd part of the commercial job from me - the lead taper for the company I was doing sub work for - said "Good call", when he tried a stick of the arch bead. I suggested we should order some in for those particular bulkheads, based on a sample I had. He especially liked how the steel backbone helped with the curves, which helped straighten out some bulkhead framing and boarding issues. The low profile was nice to work with, too.
I can't help but to think, what will happen when that steel backbone starts to rust. And It's starting to rust right now!:yes: Reminds me of the old DIY corner tape with the two metal bands .

121 - 140 of 159 Posts