Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
This is good. From disagreement, things can sometimes be learned, if people don't get their backs up.

I'll try to get back to this either this evening, or tomorrow - I have some things I have to get done for my company all of this week.

In answer to your "are you self-employed or an employee", silverstilts, I'm always self-employed, even when I'm involved in things like I am right now - drywall finishing. I mentioned my company in a previous post, when I was having a little fun with Never-Miss and trademarked product names for his company. Mine is called Innovation Focus. I'm upgrading some systems for the company I'm doing taping for, to help improve their competitiveness and profitability. To do such, I like to involve myself in the work itself for a time, sometimes placing myself as an actual employee, to get a real feel for what the work/situation can actually be like. I've worked with too many product research and development people who try to do it from the sidelines, just watching and asking some questions. It doesn't seem to work as well that way.

I'm doing the same with some infrared asphalt repair/recycling systems. With warmer temperatures finally showing up in my area, this week is an asphalt work week.

A couple of things I'll mention before I have to get going:

The '~' I put behind the youtube video link signifies a smile, INTJ style. So don't take what I said about the video seriously.

The scaffolds I'm talking about are possibly built somewhat better than the ones you're thinking of. They're supposed to meet or exceed OSHA and ANSI standards, and are pretty pricey - 3 to 5 times more expensive than most mini-scaffolds. But I didn't use the word "safe" for them. I used "safer", as in safer when compared to stilts.

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
aversion to stilts

Hey ****** and Silverstilts. If Just Me is from Ontario it may explain his aversion to stilts as I understand they are banned there from their provincial workers compensation board. The rest of the country uses them however.

The silly video of attaching your shoes to buckets may be fine for the home handyman but would be thrown off any larger worksites as being unsafe I would think. While we use buckets at times in place of stilts for short term, again our provincial compensation board (WorkSafe BC) could fine us for using buckets.

As per going from bazooka to banjo, it makes no sense to me either.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
This is good. From disagreement, things can sometimes be learned, if people don't get their backs up.

I'll try to get back to this either this evening, or tomorrow - I have some things I have to get done for my company all of this week.

In answer to your "are you self-employed or an employee", silverstilts, I'm always self-employed, even when I'm involved in things like I am right now - drywall finishing. I mentioned my company in a previous post, when I was having a little fun with Never-Miss and trademarked product names for his company. Mine is called Innovation Focus. I'm upgrading some systems for the company I'm doing taping for, to help improve their competitiveness and profitability. To do such, I like to involve myself in the work itself for a time, sometimes placing myself as an actual employee, to get a real feel for what the work/situation can actually be like. I've worked with too many product research and development people who try to do it from the sidelines, just watching and asking some questions. It doesn't seem to work as well that way.

I'm doing the same with some infrared asphalt repair/recycling systems. With warmer temperatures finally showing up in my area, this week is an asphalt work week.

A couple of things I'll mention before I have to get going:

The '~' I put behind the youtube video link signifies a smile, INTJ style. So don't take what I said about the video seriously.

The scaffolds I'm talking about are possibly built somewhat better than the ones you're thinking of. They're supposed to meet or exceed OSHA and ANSI standards, and are pretty pricey - 3 to 5 times more expensive than most mini-scaffolds. But I didn't use the word "safe" for them. I used "safer", as in safer when compared to stilts.
EXCUSE ME the scaffolding you use are the ones better than the ones I use ???? How in the F**k do you know what I use ??? And when you talk about Things that you are "INVOLVED IN" such as asphalt repair / recycling ,that tells me that you spend a lot of time trying to perhaps find your niche in something because you haven't it yet.... come on take your product research with that stupid REACHER of Yours and put it well , you can figure that one out .... Why don't you and Innovation Focus join a forum just for product and research ????

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
come on admit there is no way you can string with a banjo with speed compared to a bazooka
I'm not sure where I stated that. Could you point it out.

EXCUSE ME the scaffolding you use are the ones better than the ones I use ???? How in the F**k do you know what I use ???
I don't. That's why I used the work "possibly".

Things that you are "INVOLVED IN" such as asphalt repair / recycling ,that tells me that you spend a lot of time trying to perhaps find your niche in something because you haven't it yet
I've been involved in the asphalt project for 2 years, and the prototypes are delivering as expected. I can't post things like pictures of them right now, due to patentability issues. And I'm well enjoying my niche.

come on take your product research with that stupid REACHER of Yours and put it well , you can figure that one out .... Why don't you and Innovation Focus join a forum just for product and research ????
The reacher was more of a 'play around' item, which I've used so far the one time on putting up 12 corners. Whether it ever gets pulled out again from where I do stick it, will depend. On the job I used it on, we didn't have a bazooka - the job was small and the company tool crib was bare of such, with many large projects going on that were being finished all at one time. It wouldn't have gotten pulled out for the particular 12 corners I did with the banjo, anyway.

But from such messing around as with the reacher, new directions for tools can emerge. Otherwise, you usually end up with close to the same old designs. What I'm mostly working on is making power systems like your pneumatic one a better fit for the kind of interior construction work the company I'm involved with does most of.

As for joining a product r&d forum instead, I don't care too much for the more traditional ones, as they can often end up tracking one's thinking along 'same old, same old' lines. But I was dealing last night with the CEO of an innovation company out of Europe, which is why I didn't get back to this last night as promised. He wants me to consider working with him on setting up an innovation network. That's an offer I'll take a serious look at.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
JustMe Maybe you should read your last paragraph and tell me you did not insinuate your scaffolding is perhaps a better one ???? At least thats the way i took it.

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
JustMe Maybe you should read your last paragraph and tell me you did not insinuate your scaffolding is perhaps a better one ???? At least thats the way i took it.
"Possibly" means just that with me. When I said:

The scaffolds I'm talking about are possibly built somewhat better than the ones you're thinking of.
it was triggered by your comment:

in fact seen one guy collapse one when it the wheel hit a vent hole in the floor he broke both wrists.
It reminded me of a Chinese mfr., whose mini-scaffolds get sold under a number of different brand names. They're especially supposed to be known for things like wheels breaking.

I didn't quite know what you meant by the scaffold collapsing - if it was something like a wheel stem or frame breaking - but some specs on the ones I'm using, so you can compare the specs against yours if you want: The frames are 1 1/4" O.D., not the usual 1" O.D. The casters have 1" stems, not the usual 3/4"(?).

The scaffolds are an upgraded version of these:

http://www.falconladder.com/mini.htm

They're pretty much what's shown, except now all the platforms are 10" wide and one piece across - notched to rest on the cross members. The platforms are now also aluminum, scored on top for anti-slip, and wide on the sides for strength. All-Wall.com has pictures showing the newer platforms:

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Eaglerock_Workman_Scaffold.php

The recommended load capacity is listed as 500 lbs. on their site. It's supposed to read 600 lbs, as it does on the mfr's site.

Some of their claims, like their "The working area of the platforms is 36% larger", I find a little questionable. 36% larger than which mini-scaffolds? I think mfrs. like Perry have some with even larger areas.

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
I just got a betterthanever 3.5" corner flusher. I'm having trouble at the top of the corners. I'm either not able to set the tape good enough for the first 6" or the tape hooks and pulls down. I'm still having to use a ladder to fix them after I run the flusher.
I was also having trouble with the bottom but tried it flipped over from the bottom and it set everything fine.

Is there anything I can do to get a better job at the top?
when you flush the tape give it a push I call it jag, push the tape down to set the tape the wipe it, I worked with a guy who had 10 years experience and told him to do that he said he never knew, I felt good as he was the man when it came to taping

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
I just got a betterthanever 3.5" corner flusher. I'm having trouble at the top of the corners. I'm either not able to set the tape good enough for the first 6" or the tape hooks and pulls down. I'm still having to use a ladder to fix them after I run the flusher.
I was also having trouble with the bottom but tried it flipped over from the bottom and it set everything fine.

Is there anything I can do to get a better job at the top?
Abaway...i flush tape coat with a 2.5 first...but I also use a roller...really embeds the tape so it doesn't pull so much...I still pick some corners instead of fighting with the tape...or have my helper do it:D

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Abaway...is flush tape coat with a 2.5 first...but I also use a roller...really embeds the tape so it doesn't pull so much...I still pick some corners instead of fighting with the tape...or have my helper do it:D
Scratch that...I used to flush with 2.5 now use 3" to help get over the shoulders on first pass...then finish with 3.5 angle box...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm with silver on this one.... you're wrong JustMe
Stilts make money period. If I worked by the hour, I would still use them. Who the hell wants to be playing around on staging when trying to finish tape or sand ceilings.

Reactions: Bazooka-Joe

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
Stilts make money period. If I worked by the hour, I would still use them. Who the hell wants to be playing around on staging when trying to finish tape or sand ceilings.
I only use stilts an hour at a time, when you get older you will understand, the shock up your spine and ligaments etc... do use them but sparingly, a friend of mine I had this discussion with he refuses to use them more than an hour at a time...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
717 Posts
How do you work? Even sq. Ft. Price is contingent upon hours worked In Order to make profit.

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
I agree. Playing around isn't what I care to do either, unless I'm maybe trying/testing something out.

I'm not going to read back over some posts made a few years ago to see what this is all about. But I do use stilts, where it makes sense enough and seems fairly safe enough on our mostly all commercial job sites - I envy most of the pics posted here showing how clear the areas are that most work in.

The powers that be in our company don't push our having to use them, as one of them some years ago almost went through a big window when he stepped on a electrical conduit chunk and it got him going forward. Another almost brained himself on a steel girder when he went over backward, after tripping on some pipe. Btw: They weren't pro tapers, but more into things like framing and boarding, t-bar, with some taping experience as well.

Some tapers I work with don't wear them because they're in the situation Joe talks about - their legs are shot. The last job I was working on where I wore stilts for a bit, to box 8' high flats and undersides of high bulkheads, had a 30+ year taper sent to help me out with the job. He can't wear stilts anymore. Doctor's orders, he said.

And then some don't wear them because they don't have to - although I think there should be a little bit extra $ offered if one is willing to wear them. But maybe the probably higher workers compensation rates that can result - plus needed experienced workers on leave because of injuries - might make any real savings disappear, or disappear enough that it becomes not as worthwhile for the company I'm with(?)

·
bmitch
494 Posts
my guess is there's probably more people hurt climbing up and down on whatever contraption they drag onto the job,than stilts.it's up to us to make sure our work area is clean enough to use them.most custom homes now are 9' or 10' .i would't even consider doing one these homes without them.

·
bmitch
494 Posts
to run these tools properly ,leverage,confort without straining yourself,stilts give me that.i've never felt that safe using leverage off a rolling scaffold.i hear you JOE.as soon as l feel any strain,back , legs ,i'm off of them.

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
to run these tools properly ,leverage,confort without straining yourself,stilts give me that.i've never felt that safe using leverage off a rolling scaffold.i hear you JOE.as soon as l feel any strain,back , legs ,i'm off of them.
while the rest of the seniors are in pain you will be chasing all the widows

21 - 40 of 42 Posts