Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Its not an ego, its truth
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P>the walls were prepared for level 4 finish and looked great.  the painter painted, in one day, all 3 of his coats of paint(using a spray rig). now all the screws and joints are telegraphing through.  is this because he soaked the walls wet and the drywall is now saturated?  does anyone have literature on this or can help with an answer?</P>

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Heres a little something John.http://www.paintsource.net/pages/solutions/new%20construction/nail_pops.html

I think your right. They saturated the board ..Go to Paint talk and ask about it ..Those guys are sharp..I want to hear what they have ta say about this myself..I have painters ask me... how much do you cut your mud down on your skim coat?? I ask them..How much do you cut your paint down when you spray ?

If you dig through Paint source You'll find an answer I hope..Iv'e seen this happen before..but only when the painters spray ,spray, spray...IMO...if they roll the primer /sealer on then let dry ..after that they can spray paint all they want..It should'nt hurt anything for the board has been sealed.. Worky may tear me apart for saying this ,,but I'm no painter ..just a common sense opinion ...well...Makes sense ta me anyway..:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds exactly why it happened,This happened to me once.
The bigshot painter came in by himself with a huge sprayer and saturated my drywall and never opened a window or ventilated at allI,Its no different than someone spraying water on the drywall and wonder why things look bad,Butt joints where crowning down and bulging out after a few hours.This painter was a real a-hole and did dilute alot of water his paint.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
<P>the walls were prepared for level 4 finish and looked great.  the painter painted, in one day, all 3 of his coats of paint(using a spray rig). now all the screws and joints are telegraphing through.  is this because he soaked the walls wet and the drywall is now saturated?  does anyone have literature on this or can help with an answer?</P>
That is a bloody good question John, I reckon it does have an affect but I have no proof to support that. Moisture will definitely cause problems, and there's moiture in paint sooooo....
Where's 2buck, he likes painters at the moment maybe he could grab one by the throat and ask him :whistling2:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
That is a bloody good question John, I reckon it does have an affect but I have no proof to support that. Moisture will definitely cause problems, and there's moiture in paint sooooo....
Where's 2buck, he likes painters at the moment maybe he could grab one by the throat and ask him :whistling2:
I wouldn't mind grabbing a couple by the throat myself.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Im a painter and to be honest i have never seen this happen, Its all rollers and brushes here, So you cant thin out the paint to much for that, I got into the 21st century and do some spraying, So sealer coat is thinned a little to make it easier to spray then i load the walls/ceilings to hell, This creates a level 5ish and i prob use 25% more sealer, Then this gets a pole or pc sand, Then i have sprayed 2 finish coats on ceilings and rolled two top coats an walls, It works out great, This thinning the sealer to piss and swelling the mud carry on wouldnt be too good at all, I hadnt heard or known it could happen till i read about on here.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
He painted 3 coats in one day!? :blink: That's hacked...
Of course that's what happened! That's so much moisture....
I do allot of painting too and thats just massive amounts of moisture! Especially spraying! If he back rolls it might not be as bad....but still! 3 coats in a day!? No way....not good.
Im surprised your tapes aren't falling off the walls or bubbling.

Like "Drywaller" said "Its no different than someone spraying water on the drywall"

At the very most i'll prime, give it a quick pre sand, roll all my ceilings, then roll all my walls, but not cut the walls in. And that's a long day! Depending on the size of the house. Most of the time i'll be happy with just priming everything and rolling out my ceilings.
That way the next morning I can roll all my ceilings again (roll them tight to the wall so you don't need to cut the ceilings in)
Then i'll cut my walls up to my now finished ceilings, roll the walls again and then cut again. Done and done. That's my order.

Not all of that in one day!! That's insane...there must have been so much humidity on the windows and doors..

·
Registered
774 Posts
I dont think its the 3 coats in one day. Its the moisture issue and type of paint. 3 coats in a Long day is do able with a pva primer or alcohol based shellac (binz). Then followed by 2 coats of Swp promar 400. The key here would be to ventilate and have optimal inside and outside conditions. Though i dont recomend it. I have been 3 coating condos in 1 day for the last month with no drywall issues. Not that i want to do it that way its just the scheduling and the walls and ceilings all get the same coler eggshell finish with stained trim. So far all walls look flat and passes as a level 4 finish. I also have unlimited heat, fans and dehumidifiers on hand. Wouldnt even think about it without.
As for what happened here is the painter probly used a finish paint (flat) for a primer with out backrolling then went and sprayed finish on without the so called primer being dry or cured. Tell the painter to smarten up and not screw up your finish product by creating a moisture storm. Then go out and get a sprayer and do your own priming.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I dont think its the 3 coats in one day. Its the moisture issue and type of paint. 3 coats in a Long day is do able with a pva primer or alcohol based shellac (binz). Then followed by 2 coats of Swp promar 400. The key here would be to ventilate and have optimal inside and outside conditions. Though i dont recomend it. I have been 3 coating condos in 1 day for the last month with no drywall issues. Not that i want to do it that way its just the scheduling and the walls and ceilings all get the same coler eggshell finish with stained trim. So far all walls look flat and passes as a level 4 finish. I also have unlimited heat, fans and dehumidifiers on hand. Wouldnt even think about it without.
As for what happened here is the painter probly used a finish paint (flat) for a primer with out backrolling then went and sprayed finish on without the so called primer being dry or cured. Tell the painter to smarten up and not screw up your finish product by creating a moisture storm. Then go out and get a sprayer and do your own priming.
Well ya. I agree with you 100%
Im sure it's not a problem if you have all the appropriate conditions like you do. Heat, fans and dehumidifiers will make a huge difference!

Im just assuming this guy didn't have any of that because of what's happening.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
You have 2 problems.

Using a spray rig, the odds increase that he could of watered his paint down too much, or applied to much paint. Using a roller will draw paint back out from the drywall paper, but if he only sprayed, it can swell the paper. So in one part, we need to know if he just sprayed, or did he roll behind the spray machine.

Second part is when did he rough sand in between coats. The prime coat is meant to be sanded so the walls will become one blended texture. This has been discussed on here before, but the general consensus was to roll or spray on the primer, then back roll, and rough sand when dry. The only person who disagreed with this method was Cazna the clean, but the Captain would have my back on this issue if he were here ,,,,,,, So
Cazna.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
You have 2 problems.

Using a spray rig, the odds increase that he could of watered his paint down too much, or applied to much paint. Using a roller will draw paint back out from the drywall paper, but if he only sprayed, it can swell the paper. So in one part, we need to know if he just sprayed, or did he roll behind the spray machine.

Second part is when did he rough sand in between coats. The prime coat is meant to be sanded so the walls will become one blended texture. This has been discussed on here before, but the general consensus was to roll or spray on the primer, then back roll, and rough sand when dry. The only person who disagreed with this method was Cazna the clean, but the Captain would have my back on this issue if he were here ,,,,,,, So
Cazna.
The only thing i disagreed on was tearing the backside out of primer with course sandpaper, Primer/sealer always needs sanded/blended, Just not torn to shreds, If its cut then the first top coat soaks in uneven, Bad bad bad. :yes:

·
Its not an ego, its truth
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ho hum...

So heres the deal, painting yahoo wanted to get in front of the ceiling tile guy, so whats he do??? he sprays on his primer, which by the way is Prep-Seal, whether he pissed it down i have no idea, but he did back roll. he did three classrooms (school) with huge windows that show natural light right across the walls, then went right into spraying his first coat of finish just as he did the primer. upon completing that he went right into his final coat, of semi gloss!!!! needless to say, they will be paying for us to fix it. they admitted that they blew it, and they knew it. after it dried, some of the badness went away, however there was still some blistering and joints photgraphing through, and screws look like there missing a coat. again they finished with semigloss which is a total F.U. because of the window glare and only a level 4 speced out for the school. at those high visibilty areas it should have been level 5, although that wouldn't matter do to the flood that occured on the walls. oh yah i should mention, it was raining like nobodys business and they did not use any means of drying, plus the windows were open, morans!!!!!

·
HillBilly
13 Posts
The only thing i disagreed on was tearing the backside out of primer with course sandpaper, Primer/sealer always needs sanded/blended, Just not torn to shreds, If its cut then the first top coat soaks in uneven, Bad bad bad. :yes:
what grit of sandpaper do you use

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
well it is one of those situations that yes the applications were to many at once,

You did not mention if it was old board as crews pop and the wall is a freaking mess

I just scraped down a house old board and leme tell ya fellers you would not believe how much smig was laying on the ground when I scraped those screws, 3 coat skim entire walls

Shoulda had Caz here to show me how it's done

no back roll is crazee
another school day where there is Sh^t to pay

1 - 20 of 38 Posts