Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The amount of money you spend on them, the setup, the amount of sanding. the thin mud and the shrinking. uneven drywall and the bull that comes with it. Personally I think it takes more work. I know they have their place, 8-10 foot ceilings. other than that i jest think its a borders tool, not a drywall finishers tool. i got 5 years on the job, hawk and trowel. I can run up to 18' trowel. Constructive criticism welcome. ;)
oh wow!....prepare to get bashed for that statement. Are you kidding?!
Boxes are a waste of time?! By the time I finish typing this reply I could have coated 2 bedrooms with a box! And have done a better finish then your 18ft trowel! That's right! 18ft trowel. Maybe you should learn the difference between inches and ft before you start posting comments.

And oh....5 years on the job!? sweet jelly beans! You're a pro!
I've only just turned 24, and I have 8 years on the job!
Some of these guys on here probably have more years of experience than you have time alive on this earth my friend!

Just because you can't or don't know how to run a box doesn't mean they are a waste of time! What the heck are you using an 18" trowel for anyways!?!? Plowing driveways in the winter time when things get slow!? C'mon man....:no:

If you want advice, or want to learn how to run boxes properly without any problems anyone on here will be glad to help you out! Including myself! So don't just go trashing something or making a general statement like that if you're not familiar with the system and products.

I see you're not online often either. So welcome to Drywall Talk!
Seriously though bro! Boxes are a huge help and time saver! And if you know how to use them can make you more money than you've ever made in your last 5 years. Guys on here can show you and help you.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
oh wow!....prepare to get bashed for that statement. Are you kidding?!
Boxes are a waste of time?! By the time I finish typing this reply I could have coated 2 bedrooms with a box! And have done a better finish then your 18ft trowel! That's right! 18ft trowel. Maybe you should learn the difference between inches and ft before you start posting comments.

And oh....5 years on the job!? sweet jelly beans! You're a pro!
I've only just turned 24, and I have 8 years on the job!
Some of these guys on here probably have more years of experience than you have time alive on this earth my friend!

Just because you can't or don't know how to run a box doesn't mean they are a waste of time! What the heck are you using an 18" trowel for anyways!?!? Plowing driveways in the winter time when things get slow!? C'mon man....:no:

If you want advice, or want to learn how to run boxes properly without any problems anyone on here will be glad to help you out! Including myself! So don't just go trashing something or making a general statement like that if you're not familiar with the system and products.

I see you're not online often either. So welcome to Drywall Talk!
Seriously though bro! Boxes are a huge help and time saver! And if you know how to use them can make you more money than you've ever made in your last 5 years. Guys on here can show you and help you.
Don't give her /him too hard a time about the 18' trowel That [ ' ] can skip by us at times..:whistling2:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Don't give her /him too hard a time about the 18' trowel That [ ' ] can skip by us at times..:whistling2:
Keyboards are a tricky thing. I was just giving em a hard time! :laughing: Hehe.
Like the snow plow bit! haha.
Im really not that much of a d!ck in real life eazyrizla.
Im actually a pretty nice guy. Im just riding ya a bit because of the thread.

is using a 18 in trowel really something to brag about?
If you can mount it to the front of your truck and plow driveways with it, it is!! :laughing:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
boxes are waste of time

i have been finishing for 22 years both by hand and with boxes my boxes and ive had 4 different sets have paid for themselves 100 times over i will hand finish if im doing a small basement or room addition because they are too much to set up clean up and so on but a flat box when adjusted properly will fill the flats completly full a box does not lie like a unsteady hand can i will admit boes can and does leave more edges and air pockets than hand finishing but im in this trade to make money and time is money i respect the fact that you hawk and trowel and your set up time and clean up time is faster but maybe you havent ran or seen anyone run a good box

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
the shaft is a seniors shaft not worth it gettin it reshafted. picked up another youtube taper job today so maybe ill buy a new one if my girl will let me
Nice man! Does it have to be a burner driver?
There's a nice R7 on there too for 100$

Glad to see I'm not the only one here having problems with that crap. :censored:
Really eh?! Just bad board? Like bad bevels or what?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
i have been finishing for 22 years both by hand and with boxes my boxes and ive had 4 different sets have paid for themselves 100 times over i will hand finish if im doing a small basement or room addition because they are too much to set up clean up and so on but a flat box when adjusted properly will fill the flats completly full a box does not lie like a unsteady hand can i will admit boes can and does leave more edges and air pockets than hand finishing but im in this trade to make money and time is money i respect the fact that you hawk and trowel and your set up time and clean up time is faster but maybe you havent ran or seen anyone run a good box
Agreed!

1 - 20 of 216 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.