Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I've been finishing for about 20 years and have done primarily hand finish for most of that time. I started using boxes a few years ago. My question is for those who have experience using the BTE corner finishers and mud tube. I've spent a lot of time researching them hoping to save time and increase production. Are they good tools for the money or problematic junk to be avoided?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Brian

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
If your doing your angles by hand then yes
Their good when their new, but as time goes on they wear out, and sanding increases. But for the price of them, (around $100) you can't go wrong. They will increase production, and when you learn how to use them. It's no big deal to move up to the mechanical heads .

Here's one thread wear their discussed http://www.drywalltalk.com/f9/new-type-compound-tube-plz-1815/

Check out can am stuff too, try search function on this site too

happy reading :D

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
BTE Tools

The BTE tin flushers are fine and very popular out this way. Use them myself. The white tubes are also popular but I have been warned away from them and have a couple of other tubes.

Go Canucks Go

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
The BTE tin flushers are fine and very popular out this way. Use them myself. The white tubes are also popular but I have been warned away from them and have a couple of other tubes.

Go Canucks Go
Yes,I agree, keep away from the BTE compound tube, they suck, just like the Vancouver Canucks:whistling2:

Try Columbia or can-am when it comes to the CP tube

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
They're a good tool, but I would recommend rolling out your angles first when you put them up and then flushing them. Much easier flush that way, and it keeps your inside corner sharper.

If you're really serious about finishing your angles nicely, the bigger investment would be a corner box with an angle head or two. The price difference is probably large enough to discourage you from going that route, but I chose that way because you'll never put out angles that straight or sharp with tube and flusher.

[/canofworms]

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
They're a good tool, but I would recommend rolling out your angles first when you put them up and then flushing them. Much easier flush that way, and it keeps your inside corner sharper.

If you're really serious about finishing your angles nicely, the bigger investment would be a corner box with an angle head or two. The price difference is probably large enough to discourage you from going that route, but I chose that way because you'll never put out angles that straight or sharp with tube and flusher.

[/canofworms]
I agree Bevelation - rollers are the way to go to get the tapes on right. After that a tin flusher or better yet the mechanical flusher (angle head). And no 2 Buck the Canucks dont suck, the Maple Leafs do.

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
^^Even if the Canucks were to suck, the Maple Leafs will always suck more.

True story.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
^^Even if the Canucks were to suck, the Maple Leafs will always suck more.

True story.
I keep forgetting, how many Stanley cups have the canucks won, I know the toronto maple leafs have won 13 :thumbup:

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
Sometimes teams win due to suckiness?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help and suggestions to the guy who mentioned corner boxes as opposed to using a tube. I've considered that way too. It would be nice if there were a place around here to rent them first to see which method was better. But I guess there's a learning curve no matter what.
Thanks again

·
Registered
199 Posts
I started out with the tube and BTE flushers, then got a Corner box and Angle head, I didn't get on with the Angle head, but like using the BTE flusher on the Corner box. (a lot easier and quicker than the tube)

When you use the BTE flusher with either the Tube or the Box, take off the little triangle covering the hole in the middle of the flusher, it makes it easier to use, and you can use thicker mud

·
Registered
348 Posts
I started out with the tube and BTE flushers, then got a Corner box and Angle head, I didn't get on with the Angle head, but like using the BTE flusher on the Corner box. (a lot easier and quicker than the tube)

When you use the BTE flusher with either the Tube or the Box, take off the little triangle covering the hole in the middle of the flusher, it makes it easier to use, and you can use thicker mud
What problems did you have with the angle head?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I couldn't get as clean and sharp a finish as I did with the BTE.
I did try for a couple of jobs, but ended up going over the corners with the BTE to get it right
I don't do a lot of Jointing, maybe 1 job every couple of months

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting. I don't mind a BTE to glaze but only like the angle head for finish coating.

I like the corner box too. Nice and intuitive. Tube & head looks like it would be hard to coordinate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts