Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to drop a few thousand on a new set of automatic drywall tools and i'm torn between Columbia and Tape Tech. I just went out on my own and this si goinna be the first set I'm buying on my own. I want to buy the better of the two (obviously). Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow drywallers!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have always owned tape tech and never had any problems. I have just recently purchased a 3.5'' anglehead from Columbia and as stated above their customer service is top notch. Other than that I can't help you much as I have never ran Columbia tools.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have had both

Columbia:
1) stands behind their tools, even after the warranty is gone
2) Will answer any question you have in less than a day
3) listens to users and improves their tools (even upgrades a tool for ya sometimes)

TT
1) If your tool is out of warranty,,,your on your own
2) Won't talk to you at all,,, you have to send it to them
3) Doesn't really give a hoot wheather you like em or not

The choice is yours of course,,,,

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
:thumbup1:My choice would be Columbia.:thumbup: Perhaps I am biased as they are a Canadian company and close to home but I think there is more to it than that. Many of the basic tools are essentially the same in design with few if any minor differences between the 2 companies. Columbia parts are made in North America and I am not sure I can say the same about Tape Tech (I hear rumours). Prices are competitive so after that it boils down to service. Have nothing but praise :notworthy:for the service Columbia offers as do others and it sounds as if Columbia is on solid financial ground. Seems like a no brainer now doesnt it?:yes:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
I'm about to drop a few thousand on a new set of automatic drywall tools and i'm torn between Columbia and Tape Tech. I just went out on my own and this si goinna be the first set I'm buying on my own. I want to buy the better of the two (obviously). Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow drywallers!
Unless you're trying for a deal because of your buying a set from one or the other manufacturer, you could consider mix and matching, if you have likes and dislikes about each manufacturer's tools.

Regardless of who you go with, for production, I'd try to work a Columbia Fat Boy in there - one of the size that you'd like to use for your 1st boxing coat (a 8" or 10"). One of our long time tapers runs a Columbia 10" Fat Boy for 1st coat, and a TT 12" for finishing.

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
Regardless of who you go with, for production, I'd try to work a Columbia Fat Boy in there - one of the size that you'd like to use for your 1st boxing coat (a 8" or 10").
Good point Just Me - One tool that TT has not matched is the Columbia Fat Boys. Love em.:yes:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Good point Just Me - One tool that TT has not matched is the Columbia Fat Boys. Love em.:yes:
Thanks, MS. It is a bit of a surprise that TT hasn't matched it.

The TT EasyClean boxes are advertised as having extra mud capacity. At least probably from what TT boxes used to carry. But I don't think they would match the Fat Boys.

And with some of the EasyCleans seeming to have front leaking issues, I don't know for sure if that's a box I'd look at too hard, till the problem's been fixed. But maybe it wouldn't be a problem, or too much a problem, unless you're unlucky like a couple of DWT's down under members were. The 10" TT Power Assist box I use for at times difficult boxing situations has the same configuration as the EasyCleans, I believe, and it hasn't shown any signs of leaking. But then I haven't used it a lot.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Thinking about getting a new zook myself this spring, If work stays steady.

Might be because of this site, well I guess it is because of this site:whistling2:

Supply house I deal with, deals mainly in Drywall Master and some gold coloured type tools, I forget their name.:whistling2:

But I think I will go for the Columbia this time. They have the one feature that interest me, the finger will cause less drag etc.... which will make angle tapes more easy to install. 9 foot high ceilings take a toll on the shoulders after awhile. And for customer service, I can torment Aaron right here from DWT.:yes:

Plus, if you get those gold coloured tools, you half to paint over the Logo right away, they don't like you sporting it:rolleyes:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Plus, if you get those gold coloured tools, you half to paint over the Logo right away, they don't like you sporting it:rolleyes:
Lol. You come up with the damndest things.

If I was Mike, I don't know if I'd be a little frustrated with you, or laugh with you. Probably both.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Lol. You come up with the damndest things.

If I was Mike, I don't know if I'd be a little frustrated with you, or laugh with you. Probably both.
well I'm still waiting for my apology "T" shirt:whistling2::yes:

Reactions: JustMe
1 - 20 of 283 Posts