Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
The system has its place, I prefer to use it on 400 plus sheet jobs. The pump made me a lot of money spraying texture, and when running traditional boxes it makes your day easier not using a hand pump. Just like the CFS if there's to much junk on the job, or too many workers in your way your going to hate dragging that hose around.
kool its up to the runner for sure

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
I must've hit a 2 instead of 1 on my iPhone. Fat fingers! Lol. 150 is the correct number in the 6 hr timeframe. The 250 is the most I've done in one day. Man, you guys don't miss a detail on here! If anyone has any other questions let me know. I'd love to help out if I can....
I don't know - I missed it the 1st time round. Caught it on check out. :D

Thanks for the clarification. Impressive #s, both of them.

And the help offer is appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Master Mud Monkey
212 Posts
Hey Terry I'd love to talk to someone experienced with these systems! First things first how come you don't buy one of those socks for your hose to keep them safe and clean? First thing I went to a local pump repair shop and bought one. You run your hose through the sock after it's clean and keep it there basically forever unless you want to keep your sock clean. Then you take it off and clean it. The first 100 feet of my first pump looks like crap and just kinks a bunch. I'm going to have to replace those lines soon. Really makes a difference in the long run.

·
Drywall Contractor
740 Posts
Hey Terry I'd love to talk to someone experienced with these systems! First things first how come you don't buy one of those socks for your hose to keep them safe and clean? First thing I went to a local pump repair shop and bought one. You run your hose through the sock after it's clean and keep it there basically forever unless you want to keep your sock clean. Then you take it off and clean it. The first 100 feet of my first pump looks like crap and just kinks a bunch. I'm going to have to replace those lines soon. Really makes a difference in the long run.
I would think its obvious, the sock will hold more material making it heavier to drag around and if your having material building up on your hose then that's obvious too :blink: need I say no more JS Oh also snagging that dam hose

·
Master Mud Monkey
212 Posts
I would think its obvious, the sock will hold more material making it heavier to drag around and if your having material building up on your hose then that's obvious too :blink: need I say no more JS Oh also snagging that dam hose
I learned about the sock (it's just a thin stretchy plastic tube) from the company that actually makes the pumps Graco. At the time I needed information about how much hose I could connect to one of my older pumps and general pressure / gpm information. After talking to the rep a while she brought up the sock and even mailed me 50 feet of sock for free. It's never lead me astray and I've never noticed snagging. I'll ask some of the painters I know when I see them about it but that problem just doesn't register.

Did you have a bad experience with apla-tech customer service?
-
I love graco pumps so much they're made me so much money. All my interactions with graco have been great. I started to strongly consider a continuous flow system when ames/tapetech released one with a dedicated graco pump.

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
I learned about the sock (it's just a thin stretchy plastic tube) from the company that actually makes the pumps Graco. At the time I needed information about how much hose I could connect to one of my older pumps and general pressure / gpm information. After talking to the rep a while she brought up the sock and even mailed me 50 feet of sock for free. It's never lead me astray and I've never noticed snagging. I'll ask some of the painters I know when I see them about it but that problem just doesn't register.

Did you have a bad experience with apla-tech customer service?
-
I love graco pumps so much they're made me so much money. All my interactions with graco have been great. I started to strongly consider a continuous flow system when ames/tapetech released one with a dedicated graco pump.
ya know the sick part is after buying Junk Tech, Im leary on an Ames purchase

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
ya know the sick part is after buying Junk Tech, Im leary on an Ames purchase
Don't blame you, Joe. After seeing how TT (I'm including Ames in with TT) will cut corners with building their newer equipment (even something basic like my replacement Ames banjo, that I'm having to take parts off my old one to fix), I'd probably want to stay away from something more complex like Ames/TT's new mud system. If they can find ways to hose you, to maximize profitability, they seem willing to. I'd choose Apla to risk my $ with, 1st - even though their seeming willingness to continue foisting some past bad designs for some time onto finishers doesn't make me want to jump for joy about them, either. JMO.

·
Master Mud Monkey
212 Posts
Don't blame you, Joe. After seeing how TT (I'm including Ames in with TT) will cut corners with building their newer equipment (even something basic like my replacement Ames banjo, that I'm having to take parts off my old one to fix), I'd probably want to stay away from something more complex like Ames/TT's new mud system. If they can find ways to hose you, to maximize profitability, they seem willing to. I'd choose Apla to risk my $ with, 1st - even though their seeming willingness to continue foisting some past bad designs for some time onto finishers doesn't make me want to jump for joy about them, either. JMO.
They get you with parts an extra hose costs 600, controls around 300 it's all way expensive. Upfront cost is big.

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
They get you with parts an extra hose costs 600, controls around 300 it's all way expensive. Upfront cost is big.
Taking time out from cannibalizing my old Ames banjo for my new one. :)

Ames, TapeTech, Graco, FMC, .......... - they're all the same. When Ames tells you in their video promo that their system is about "Maximizing time on wall", it's about maximizing $ in their pockets. And fair enough, it's all about the money. But don't try to sell me/us polished turds and say they're something else, and then get upset when you call them on it.

With FMC, I built a better system for under 4,500.00 than one close to 20,000.00 from FMC, and that was without accessing manufacturer pricing. Their engineers said the design wouldn't work, due to 'slippage' - not enough positive displacement. I told them there was enough 'overbuild' in the right places that it would. 20+ years later and it's still working. They were either liars or stupid. I'm thinking the 1st, and pretty sure some of the 2nd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no clue what the sock is for the hose. I've never had much of an issue with keeping it clean, and the kinking is easy to deal with by having a z-swivel installed.

I own both Apla tech and ames continuous flow. The slimline boxes from Apla and the handles from Apla tech are superior to ames in my opinion. Apla tech is $8500 with a Graco Mark V, Ames is $18,500. If anyone needs any comparison info between the two systems, I can help you out

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
I have no clue what the sock is for the hose. I've never had much of an issue with keeping it clean, and the kinking is easy to deal with by having a z-swivel installed.

I own both Apla tech and ames continuous flow. The slimline boxes from Apla and the handles from Apla tech are superior to ames in my opinion. Apla tech is $8500 with a Graco Mark V, Ames is $18,500. If anyone needs any comparison info between the two systems, I can help you out
can you shoot us a vid of the whole aplatech and a vid of the whole Ames.. would appreciate, of course we expect Dave to pay you for the demonstration

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
A video of the whole Ames?? Not sure what you mean.
Any chance of a video longer than 2 minutes, Terry? With you doing laydowns as well as stand ups, butt joints, if possible? Also boxing bead? Would like to use it as a benchmark for the systems I'm building and have built.

For payment I'll tell you about the 2buck boxing method. :)

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Contact me at [email protected]
Send me your cell # and I'll be happy to talk to you about whatever you have up your sleeve. I'm a hopeless mudslinger, so I'll certainly be interested in what your ideas are
Main idea is systems that better fit most actual jobs. Which might not be yours, with the amount of your mud output per day and the GCs accommodating your hose. But mine, yes. Mostly commercial - new and renos, big and small. Some big shacks at times.

But I can contact you, just in case.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts