Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum but have seen a lot of helpful info as a lurker here. Look forward to getting to know you all better.

We're doing an exterior firewall on a steel building right now as required by city code. Using 5/8" exterior gyp sheathing that needs to be firetaped. Traditionally I'd just firetape it but it being freezing outside now, doesn't seem like a practical option. The closest suggestion I've gotten is to mesh tape it and skim it with durabond, which still doesn't resolve the fact I'm going to waste a lot of mud with it freezing before I can burn through it.

Anyone know of any alternatives for firetaping that are either mudless or practical in below freezing applications? I found a web site for some EZ Tape mudless firetape, haven't priced it out at all yet, has anyone tried that stuff and is it worth it ?

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
60 Posts
I seen a product in a walls and ceiling mag that they were using for fire taping that looked like a roll of red duct tape that did not require any mud at all and it had a one hour fire rating I'd talk to your supplier to see if they can get it and what it costs

·
Drywall dust makes my day
25 Posts
I've used EZ Firetape before taping around a chase for a duct(inspector wanted it, instead of a coat of mud).. Doesn't stick that great inside even, so I can't imagine it staying stuck in the cold.

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
Try this site

Commercial Contractor Alert!!! Green firewall taping. Our new product is BLAZEBLOCKER™ fire retardant drywall tape. Finally... Wet n Stick® with fire retardants. Use only tape and water to join fire rated assemblies! NO compound is necessary using this two hour rated ASTM E119 certified product. Check out BLAZEBLOCKER™ on our product page.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts