Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
The first half wasn't too bad, with that military tank style looking banjo.
Could work. But then the 2nd half!? With the old man using a sh!t box?! That was brutal. I guess that was innovation in the 1930's :yes:
Yeah I agree PT.

Old Mr. Tucker looks like he will take 3 days to finish putting the tapes on in the basement at that rate. :blink:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Not sure how that banjo thing would go on ceilings tho!
If one could handle the appearing awkwardness of using it, I'm thinking it should work.

With the tape appearing to not loop inside the mud compartment, to help continually pull the tape down into the mud - but the mud is gravity fed onto the tape - my main concern would be about doing horizontal tapes on the walls. Doing vertical standing board, like they were in the video, would be less of a problem.

Just get a Homax I'm thinking, if you want a wheel tipped banjo.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Exactly! I've only used the Homax once, yesterday for the first time.
And I loved it. Im sure it doesn't carry as much mud as others but who cares. Its compact and sleek design make up for a few trips back to the bucket.
Video coming shortly boys!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me 2 Cd!! U need heaps o little tapes everywhere!!:thumbup:
That was me today. I still haven't figured out how to keep the tape from pulling away from the corner when taping top angles with bazooka.:mad:
Figuring out somethings on your own or from watching a video can be really frustrating. Over all I still leave cleaner and less fatigued than if I had ran a banjo all day.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
That was me today. I still haven't figured out how to keep the tape from pulling away from the corner when taping top angles with bazooka.:mad:
Figuring out somethings on your own or from watching a video can be really frustrating. Over all I still leave cleaner and less fatigued than if I had ran a banjo all day.:thumbup:
Me neither CD,,,, I usually try to leave my tape abit too long,,so that instead of dragging it out of the corner, I actually leave abit too much in it. That way, I "double lap" it in the corner. Even if I do drag it too far and leave abit short,,,,, I'm gonna "pick" it with a knife, so in the end it really don't matter if its "double lapped" or "short",,,, ain't gonna show either way.

I understand that alot of you guys are "pickier" than I am,,, I am only concerned about the end product,,, not the individual steps to achieve said end.

nuff said,,, I'll go back to my room now

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
You run a crew of guys don't you cd ??????

Just keep one guy behind you with a roller all the time. When we do walls 9 foot high, we will do that method, to save on ware and tear on the shoulders of the zookie guy. Just run your tape, and the guy on the roller basically stops and holds the tape till you get to the other end with the zookie. Over time, you may not need the guy on the roller no more.

laying some tape this week, will see if I can make you a vid of the system, it's fast on big open rooms. But your on your own in closets.

One other thing I find, is guys think they have their mud nice and runny, but they don't. For example, depending on the mud, we put in 7 coffee cups of water for flat tapes, and 10 to 11 for the angle tapes. If I get angle tapes dropping, I mix in more water to the mud. Sounds nuts, but it works

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
One other thing I find, is guys think they have their mud nice and runny, but they don't. For example, depending on the mud, we put in 7 coffee cups of water for flat tapes, and 10 to 11 for the angle tapes. If I get angle tapes dropping, I mix in more water to the mud. Sounds nuts, but it works
I like to tell guys this,,,,,,,,

mix it ttill you are SURE its too thin,,,,,,then add another 3 coffee cups of water to it.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
At that price, I'd maybe do like someone here once posted, and have a couple of them to run, stopping to fill both together.
As soon as my Banjo video is done uploading to YouTube, im giving a brand new one away to whoever is the 20th comment on the video!
You have to be subscribed to my channel as well as give the video a thumbs up. You can comment as many times as you want as soon as its posted! 20th comment gets a free banjo in the mail! Anywhere. Free shipping too! Right to your door!

What 2Buck and Capt-Sheetrock said! :thumbsup:
Listen to them! They know what they're talking about!
Don't forget to enter in the contest when I post the link guys! Free Banjo! :thumbup:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I like to tell guys this,,,,,,,,

mix it ttill you are SURE its too thin,,,,,,then add another 3 coffee cups of water to it.
That's odd...... I half to say that to 2buckjr every time he mixes the mud:whistling2:........ for 13 years now:censored:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
That's odd...... I half to say that to 2buckjr every time he mixes the mud:whistling2:........ for 13 years now:censored:
Haha! Ya, I tell my guys the same thing.
Especially for Knockdown's! Always always!
You can never mix the mud too thin!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
seen a taping video once

Seen a guy using 120 grit for finish sand more than once:yes::whistling2:
Pfft! I had a home owner call me one time asking me to come touch up his work, he said he did it himself but wasn't quite happy with the finish.
I asked him what kind of grit he used for sanding, he said "oh...I dont know, just the belt sander" :eek: Hahaha!! :laughing:
I couldn't even stop laughing on the phone...I felt pretty bad..
Needless to say I never went to look at it. lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts