Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if there is a thread or video out there but i have been searching and am unable to find what im looking for (maybe i just suck at it)

So i am fairly new to finishing...under a year experience. The guy that i work with/trained me is super oldschool and we do everything by hand. (actually i just started using a wool roller for taping the angles after watching moores video a while back...man that really sped things up!)

But anyways...I am currently looking to purchase some tools to make the angles go quicker. (since right now im doing them by hand and have to alternate angles one day at a time blah blah and it just takes quite a long time and i want to speed things up there)

My problem is i am not really sure what i need to get to coat the angles start to finish and how to use whatever it is hahah. Have found videos of various different stages of doing angles but cannot find anything with a start to finish explanation.

Sooo, if anyone could maybe help me out. Possibly point me in the right direction to maybe a thread on this website or a video or maybe explain some stuff to me here, anything really i would greatlyyyy appreciate it. I think to start off i would prefer something cheaper. So from what ive gathered through reading that might be a roller + 2 flushers? Honestly have no clue heh so any help at all would be awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you moore. Is this how you do your angles as well?

So from these vids i gather.
a) load angles with tube / get tape on
b) roller
c)flush with 2.5

Is that correct?

If so...few more questions. When youre loading up the angles with the tube before you put tape on does it have a special head on it? hard for me to tell.
And also after you do those first steps above. What do you do for the final coat? load up with tube then use a bigger (3"?)flusher?

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
That's right harvv. I personally don't use a roller. I put a little more mud on with the tube and the weight of the tube against the tape sets it just enough.

The tube head is called a corner applicator and there is also a flat applicator.

Again correct on final coat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's right harvv. I personally don't use a roller. I put a little more mud on with the tube and the weight of the tube against the tape sets it just enough.

The tube head is called a corner applicator and there is also a flat applicator.

Awesome man thanks a lot. So few final questions. You use the same corner applicator for the final coat? And also maybe you could recommend the brand of flushers you use?

edit: oh yeah and also do you have to thin the mud way down for that?

·
bmitch
494 Posts

i was'nt plannig on thanking you,i just missed the the quote.iwanted to ask if you,re still running the zook.

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
Yes, same applicator. You don't need much much. Just have to get used to the tube and flushers. I use Can-Am tube and flushers. There are others like Tape Pro.

Yes the mud gets thinned out considerably. I'm going to do a more detailed tube video in a couple days. Might help you out a bit.

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
i was'nt plannig on thanking you,i just missed the the quote.iwanted to ask if you,re still running the zook.

Yes I am Bernie. I like to change back and forth ever since P.A. ROCKER sent me one. I'm still a little rusty but it's coming back to me. For some reason I still prefer the tube. Easier to clean.:yes:

I missed using a zook so much I'm going to buy a new Columbia Taper soon. My kid is going to get to learn on the used one as soon as he puts on some more weight. He's 14 and a full zook probably weighs more than him right now.:blink::D

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I second the mud tube. I will say up front that I have never used one, but there are plenty of others on here that do.

If you are just going to use tools for the angles, the mud tube makes a pump unnecessary. In the future, you can add on, and if you decide to use flat boxes, then you can invest in a pump.

Also, if you want to start for minimal investment, just use an angle head or flusher behind your wool roller. You would only have to purchase a pole and 3-3.5" head of choice, and could decide if you like the tooled angles. If so, invest in the compound tube and another head.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I second the mud tube. I will say up front that I have never used one, but there are plenty of others on here that do.

If you are just going to use tools for the angles, the mud tube makes a pump unnecessary. In the future, you can add on, and if you decide to use flat boxes, then you can invest in a pump.

Also, if you want to start for minimal investment, just use an angle head or flusher behind your wool roller. You would only have to purchase a pole and 3-3.5" head of choice, and could decide if you like the tooled angles. If so, invest in the compound tube and another head.
Hadnt thought about using it behind the roller instead of going straight to getting a tube. thanks. Also looking on walltools for exactly what flushers to get. Is a glazer the same as a flusher?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The trouble I've been having with flushers is that I can't get them to feather out all the way. I picked up a 3.5" Columbia the other day and while it certainly left no ridges when wiping, the compound tube applies too much mud. Also, I find I have to go over the corner several times to get a satisfactory result. Oh well, at least the mechanical heads are cheap......:(

·
Registered
362 Posts
The trouble I've been having with flushers is that I can't get them to feather out all the way. I picked up a 3.5" Columbia the other day and while it certainly left no ridges when wiping, the compound tube applies too much mud. Also, I find I have to go over the corner several times to get a satisfactory result. Oh well, at least the mechanical heads are cheap......:(
MAybe if you post some before you pull angles and after we can better assess the problem.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts