Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tiny holes from air in drywall

I am a homeowner that recently finished his basement. Upon putting together a punch list and walking the work I noticed tiny holes in the drywall mud all over the walls. I assume they are from air bubbles that burst. They are the size of a pin hole. From a professional drywalls perspective should these be fixed or accepted by the home owner? They are only noticeable within a foot or two of the wall.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If you have used a professional you should expect a professional job. Most pin holes are caused by moisture from the previous coat trying to escape. Fortunately it is not a difficult fix, the offending areas require a tight skim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi taper71,
As a Maintanence person, I could go for long periods w/o using my drywall tools. I have experienced this myself and know the pitfalls. I have a question for you. When applying mud, I have noticed that the mud gets dry and settling. Is the air bubbles because the mix is just dry enough to not soak in. I have to add a slight about of water and mix. In Cali, the climate is dry. Also when muddying, I reuse the mud I applied, wiped it off and put back in the trough. Do I lose the bonding integrity as well?

·
Master Mud Monkey
227 Posts
There are special chemical bonding agents you can apply to old paint. Ask your local supply warehouse for a name. They're annoying you need to roll it onto the paint and apply the joint compound to the paint while the chemical is still wet and it'll bond them together. It prevents peeling and bubbles but it does add material and labor cost.

Obviously this is a cheaper option to demoing a place and applying new compound so if you've got a cheap landlord who wants you to mud right over the paint it's another cheap option for you to offer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried many different solutions in the past, ultimately you just got to touch up your mud work after you prime. Don't add anything other than water to your mud. It doesn't help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK guys, me being the punchlist guy now I need a difinitive answer... how do I keep them damn air bubbles from causing me to put on 4-5 coats. I know why they come..so we don't need to go there.

Tried soap...no dice. Used brown bag durabond this am on a remodel project. We will see tomorrow.

If patch only needs one light skim its OK but if more coats are needed its bubble city.

Used to just be me and one guy doing all the work, now I bid, patch and run around a lot. Man things were easier back in the day!

Nate
OK guys, me being the punchlist guy now I need a difinitive answer... how do I keep them damn air bubbles from causing me to put on 4-5 coats. I know why they come..so we don't need to go there.

Tried soap...no dice. Used brown bag durabond this am on a remodel project. We will see tomorrow.

If patch only needs one light skim its OK but if more coats are needed its bubble city.

Used to just be me and one guy doing all the work, now I bid, patch and run around a lot. Man things were easier back in the day!

Nate
Liquid Bottle cap Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle

61 - 69 of 69 Posts