Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
In principle, it's been mentioned already, but here's how I do it:

Apply mud, take it off. Apply mud again, leave it for 1-2 minutes before you work it into a skim coat. Repeat the process on different areas that need patch. I do sections of walls with 5-10 patches each at a time. Gets rid of 98% of the bubbles.

·
Registered
875 Posts
In principle, it's been mentioned already, but here's how I do it:

Apply mud, take it off. Apply mud again, leave it for 1-2 minutes before you work it into a skim coat. Repeat the process on different areas that need patch. I do sections of walls with 5-10 patches each at a time. Gets rid of 98% of the bubbles.
i just tried this on my last patches. works like a hot damn. my guess is the quick skim coat dries and gives you a porous surface that will not bubble the same way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive found that you can prime with drywall primer after your first skim coat and a little sanding. Then pull tight over surface to fill in holes. The drywall primer doesnt seem to bubble at all. I use Murco brand premium primer. hope this will help.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
When i get air bubbles i Trowel the mud in all different directions to work the mud into the pockets works for me
YES that works. it takes just as long for hot mud to cure , as it does
a/p .without heat. it could take days for hot mud to set enough for next pass. with out bubbles . hot mud WILL NOT stick to bead / metal/ plastic/vinyl .

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've always had the best luck with a 50/50 mix of plus 3 and 90 minute quickset . Some times just multiple coats are all you can do.

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
YES that works. it takes just as long for hot mud to cure , as it does
a/p .without heat. it could take days for hot mud to set enough for next pass. with out bubbles . hot mud WILL NOT stick to bead / metal/ plastic/vinyl .
Have you tried the Vario it does.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Have you tried the Vario it does.
yes i have rebel . you sent me 3 bags of 120. it does bond well to most anything. i mentioned it to one of my local supply houses. they said .
we will see what we can do. [that means no ].. i will order a pallet soon as
i can. it's the best for repair work. i gave one bag to another d/c , he likes
it as well.

so many products @ tools.... so little $$$..

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
yes i have rebel . you sent me 3 bags of 120. it does bond well to most anything. i mentioned it to one of my local supply houses. they said .
we will see what we can do. [that means no ].. i will order a pallet soon as
i can. it's the best for repair work. i gave one bag to another d/c , he likes
it as well.

I meant on the bead as well, I know you tried it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You can run the Vario mud right over paint. No bubbles. Not one. And sticks like crazy. Best prefill, bead, fixing anything bad a carpenter can do to us, mud. Good stuff. Ordered a pallet of the 11 pound bags. Using to run beads and all prefill. thought 180 bags would last a long time. Well, three jobs right in a row with more than a hundred beads each. That mud isn't going to last very long. Especially since we like it so good. Smooth, sets fast, and sticks to anything. I better get a job selling it for Rebel. ;)

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
You can run the Vario mud right over paint. No bubbles. Not one. And sticks like crazy. Best prefill, bead, fixing anything bad a carpenter can do to us, mud. Good stuff. Ordered a pallet of the 11 pound bags. Using to run beads and all prefill. thought 180 bags would last a long time. Well, three jobs right in a row with more than a hundred beads each. That mud isn't going to last very long. Especially since we like it so good. Smooth, sets fast, and sticks to anything. I better get a job selling it for Rebel. ;)
Tim,
Thank you for the confirmation I have been saying this all along but who listens to me

Rebel

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Vario is dayum good material,,But right now getting anything extra from a builder is tough,, I don't use any type of specialty mixes without getting extra for it.
I often wonder about guys using Hot Mud , and other types of tape, and talking as if it is just normal taping method.. Right now it is very basic material for me.. anything else it is extra.. I don.t give a rats azz how much mud is dried and on the floor,,, I paid for it.. and they can get a flunky to scrape it up.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Since it shrinks less than other mud, you use less. First coat with Vario. You'll be surprised how much less it takes over it. Thus saving you millions of dollars. (slight exaggeration) :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Lately I have just been using my 6 and 8 on my bead work,,, Old way,,, No problems at all.. texture turns out great,, and nothing shows,, but I am running a full 6 and 8 ,, if I am using a 6 I wipe down with an 8,,, 8, I wipe down with 10,, saves material, faster to run out turns out clean with a very good amount of material that can be textured over, turns out nice and flat. Seems like I keep going back to the old methods everyday.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Over paint with no bubbles :eek:...........interesting
Could be the best punch list mud out there then.

Got my bag, just waiting for for something to try it on :yes:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Second coat over, smooth as glass! You're gonna love it! Don't ya hate it when somebody tells you that?
Yes I do hate it when someone tells me that. My 1st wife said that all the time to me:(

41 - 60 of 69 Posts