Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
The Drywall King!
702 Posts
Frank I think thats too much work. Any if your doing touch-up after finishing a wall thats primed and painted, you wouldn't want to do that for every touch up or patch. Mud it, sanding it with a sponge if you need too. Sponges get everything out good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Joe Thanks, I have had someone hack into my site and change pictures and text, I get tired of going and fixing things, I have lost all kinds of pictures, but thanks.
As for the repair you say is to much work, well I would rather peel the loose paint then go and paint and bubbles show up and then you have to scrape them. I have had to many ceiling and walls give up all the paint. I have scraped kitchens, living rooms, well you know cause of the pictures on my site. But I have a system to remove the paint and it works out better cause once all the paint is off the plaster all you have to do is spot the room out then prime and paint, but to each his own I guess. I just don't like to take chances on my repairs, cause I tell people they will last a 100 years.
But the thing about paint peeling is that when water breaks that bond between the plaster and oil base paints the paint will bubble when new coat of paint is applied, so that's the reason I scrape with the razor blade.

·
Registered
75 Posts
use durabond for cripes sake no drywallers here if you havent fiquired this out by know ya kinda slow. you can put 7 coat of reg mud and still get blisters, but i am a plasterer as well so i guess i have you cats beat.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I might as well put my .02 in....

things that I have found that work

1. yes fast type setting muds.
2. "prime" it with gaurdz, (i think that's how it's spelt) it's a sealer a lot like oil paint
3. trowel your mud on, scrape it off, and trowel less than the area you did the 1st time. don't ask me why, or how, but it works to reduce bubbles.
4. deal with it.

I do like some of your idea's though guys, I like the scuffing the paint idea, sounds like it would work, however too much work. As far as getting DB out, I would rather not dic with pulling out enough for a tray full, to use a little bit. Honestly, try #3. I do it quite regularly, and I've been doing it that way for about 10 years

·
Registered
222 Posts
o.k.
i've found the solution to the air bubble problem put the mud on how ever you like and use whatever compound you feel comfortable with because they will come oh ya the little bastards will come.
when they do widen your eyes ass far as they will go and stare at them with your meanest face and i mean GLARE at em and think over and over in your head go away you little bastards go away.
now the real trick to this is not to say this out loud because they will not listen and if someone is around and hears you they will think your crazy (i know this because it has happened to me and i almost got committed because of it)
now i know what your all thinking but you really have to give it a try before you disclaim it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh ya i almost forgot this trick works well for people who do not want to pay you when your finished only don't chant go away you little bastards in you head think pay or you will really regret what i'm gonna do to you in 5 minutes you will usually have that check in 3 mins. haha i solved two threads with this trick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
haha tim just thought i'd take a change from all the gloom and doom recession talk plus everyone's complaining and arguing gets tiresome, adding some humor in the mix seemed like a good idea.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I forgot that approach! yeah I used to use that technique, however at the end of the day, I felt really worn out and head hurt!

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
air bubbles?

first of all newbie in forum air bubbles do`'t have them here use Vario goes over paint with no bubbles

·
Registered
298 Posts
The worst air bubbles i ever ran into were solved completely by an additional skim coat (2 skim coats in total)

They really aren't that big of a problem. Just price for it when you bid the job.
iagree don,t over think it, skimm them out .

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've recently started using the spray adhesive in a can that I use to glue plastic beads. Instead of sanding the painted area to be coated, I just give it a quick spray with the can of 3M. This ensures a good bond with the new mud and reduces bubbles too - works great when tying into existing painted walls, and is quicker than sanding or priming. For my following coats - I lay it on, wait a minute for any remaining bubbles to form, and then swipe again to work them out.

There going to happen no matter what - just work your technique so they don't take up too much time.

D's

·
Registered
74 Posts
best way i have found to deal with the bubbles is to get the 80 grit out and sand off the "water proof" sealing agent(paint), then use 20 minute compound mixed with dirty water on a dirty board and trowel occasionally for the 5 minutes it takes to set(harden). This technique works real well and leaves you a great base to top over, with absolutley no bubbles, but be sure to brush off any dust after sanding before applying compound

·
Registered
3 Posts
When i get air bubbles i Trowel the mud in all different directions to work the mud into the pockets works for me

21 - 40 of 69 Posts