Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Grey Beige Asphalt Tints and shades

Rectangle Tints and shades Circle Wood Metal
Have no idea why after couples months later I go back to the house I have done can see the line from the butt joint
Brown Grey Beige Asphalt Tints and shades
Rectangle Tints and shades Circle Wood Metal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like you may have used paper tape and the joint was gapped. Usually caused by not using enough mud and wiping to tight. Cut out blister with sharp utility knife. Try mesh tape, apply over joint. Pre fill joint, mud will go through mesh and bond in joint. Let dry, now finish as you did originally. Many times a blister is hard to see until paint is applied. Good luck….👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you may have used paper tape and the joint was gapped. Usually caused by not using enough mud and wiping to tight. Cut out blister with sharp utility knife. Try mesh tape, apply over joint. Pre fill joint, mud will go through mesh and bond in joint. Let dry, now finish as you did originally. Many times a blister is hard to see until paint is applied. Good luck….👍
I used hamilton blue dot “taping compound” and also I used mesh tape , was prefilled as well , have no idea why still happen

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used hamilton blue dot “taping compound” and also I used mesh tape , was prefilled as well , have no idea why still happen
Did you let compound dry completely after each application? If you coat without letting prefill dry and shrink the mud will swell inside joint as it dries. Push on the joint with finger, if it feels soft it’s a blister. If it’s hard it’s excess mud in joint. Either way you’ll need to cut out and refinish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you let compound dry completely after each application? If you coat without letting prefill dry and shrink the mud will swell inside joint as it dries. Push on the joint with finger, if it feels soft it’s a blister. If it’s hard it’s excess mud in joint. Either way you’ll need to cut out and refinish.
I use 20 min setting compound to prefill , and yes first step was prefill and screw , then taping joint and corner , the next day first coat , leave it for a day before second coat then third coat , nothing show out after painting , this is happen after couples months later , I tried to push that is hard one

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use 20 min setting compound to prefill , and yes first step was prefill and screw , then taping joint and corner , the next day first coat , leave it for a day before second coat then third coat , nothing show out after painting , this is happen after couples months later , I tried to push that is hard one
If it’s hard you should be able to apply mud without tape. If it’s hard it was there when painted. It wouldn’t just mysteriously appear after two months. I’ve been a finisher 45 yrs, there is not much I haven’t seen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it’s hard you should be able to apply mud without tape. If it’s hard it was there when painted. It wouldn’t just mysteriously appear after two months. I’ve been a finisher 45 yrs, there is not much I haven’t seen.
I never seen this before, just wonder how to avoid this happen again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts