Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1865 victorian. Had to take down plaster ceiling because was falling down. I am installing gyprock on ceiling. I have plaster crown that I am trying to save, So I am butting gyprock up to it. My question is can i use construction adhesive to bond crown that will meet gyprock to the lathe to prevent crown from moving/falling apart. Or what else can i use? Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think construction adhesive is your best bet. It is hard to give info without a photo (so if you can post one, that would be helpful!) but I had a similar situation and I pre drilled into the crown, then into the drywall (drywall was able to go overtop of the crown because it was falling down) and used Liquid Nails to sure up the bond. I caulked the edge in an attempt to make a seamless connection and, as we say, 'seal the deal'
Hope this help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think construction adhesive is your best bet. It is hard to give info without a photo (so if you can post one, that would be helpful!) but I had a similar situation and I pre drilled into the crown, then into the drywall (drywall was able to go overtop of the crown because it was falling down) and used Liquid Nails to sure up the bond. I caulked the edge in an attempt to make a seamless connection and, as we say, 'seal the deal'
Hope this help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So what I have done in situations like this is chip out (or use a cut off tool with a concrete blade) the plaster and slide the drywall into the gap between the molding. I would use a construction adhesive in the gap prior to sliding the drywall into the gap. Then use caulk to fill any smaller gaps. Screws in places that can be caulked will help as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what I have done in situations like this is chip out (or use a cut off tool with a concrete blade) the plaster and slide the drywall into the gap between the molding. I would use a construction adhesive in the gap prior to sliding the drywall into the gap. Then use caulk to fill any smaller gaps. Screws in places that can be caulked will help as well.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1865 victorian. Had to take down plaster ceiling because was falling down. I am installing gyprock on ceiling. I have plaster crown that I am trying to save, So I am butting gyprock up to it. My question is can i use construction adhesive to bond crown that will meet gyprock to the lathe to prevent crown from moving/falling apart. Or what else can i use? Thank you!

Home improvement blog householdprof.com
First, you could try to knock the gypsum ceiling down and use good quality sheet metal as a patch. However, the gypsum has to be pretty soft, so I doubt that would work very well. Second, you would have to apply cement to the concrete ceiling. This cement will seal all cracks and crevices, and will help to hold the plaster ceiling in place. It will also act as a mortar to bind the gypsum into the concrete. There may be a chemical process that could be used to bond the cement to the gypsum, but I'm not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts