Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
I get a few calls from the ad I placed in the BBB phone book. The people are always looking for the "best deal" but it does generate phone calls.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's just like the yellow book, but it goes out to home owners and it's all business' that are listed in there from people who pay to have their info published

·
Registered
10 Posts
Always carry bussines cards with you so like for example yo got a residential job you can leave one card in every house in at least that block, this is not gonna take you more than 5 minutes, plus won't have to pay somebody to do it.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I gave up on advertising didn't really ever do much for me except waste some cash and a lot of chasing around bidding against low ballers... the best form of advertising comes from word of mouth... I sometimes will do a radio thing only as a personal message non-related to work except sponsored by my company... I only do that as a courtesy and to piss off the competition some.. hee hee

·
Registered
42 Posts
We use a multitude of avenues to market our company.

We have a website that brings in a decent amount of work. We are also reperesented in all of the social networking sites (twitter, facebook, google+) not because it will bring in work but rather because it helps for the search algorithms in your ranking on google. It has also surprisingly helped us keep in touch with some past and hopefully future customers. The good thing about our website is it has videos and pictures to help an unknowing home owner understand our drywall process; such as the difference between using no-coat corner bead and metal corner bead.

We also have the truck magnets on all of our trucks along with separate decals advertising our url (www.Atlantic-Drywall.com). Much like other forms of marketing, it's tough to tell how much it helps.

We started putting yard signs in front of our jobs a couple of years ago. I can't really say how much it helps in terms of drawing in customers. I regularly talk to friends who say, "Jesus, you guys are busy! I see your yard signs every where!" What I can say is that it helps our crews find our job sites and helps our delivery people find our job sites to deliver our materials.

We also receive 'The Construction Data Reports' which gives us a list of every building permit pulled in our area, and outside of our area for that matter. In those reports it lists the builders name and the home owners name. For years we sent out just a single page of paper listing what we offered with a business card attached. This always drew in a few customers here and there but nothing overly spectacular. A few weeks ago I made up a nice glossy brochure (check our facebook for pics) to begin mailing instead. The jury is still out but I think it will make a big difference and was cheap to produce.

Of course we advertise in the yellow pages, we drop off business cards at job sites of builders who don't use us, we post cards on bulletin boards at sub and coffee shops, etc.. etc..

But the best form of advertising? Word of mouth. Do your job right and be honest. If you're doing drywall on a brand new house you have a chance to impress a lot of people who could lead to more work. Scrape and clean your floors and windows when you're done, this is probably going to make a carpenter thankful. Clean and vaccuum out your electrical outlets, this is probably going to make an electrician happy. Clean out your bath tubs and cover the proper piping if you're spraying, this is probably going to make a plumber happy. If you're doing your own primining, do everything you can to make that surface as smooth as possible for the finish painter. Your best friend on the job site is a happy finish painter.

It's the little things that can go a long way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mudshark said:
http://yoursmiles.org/t-en.php?page=2

One good point to keep in mind is keep it short so people will read it!

(hint hint AtlanticDrywall)
If they would like to read up on the marketing our company does as one of the bigger drywall company's in the North-East they can. If they don't want to so be it. I'm not going to dumb it down so you find it to be less lame.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

One good point to keep in mind is keep it short so people will read it!

(hint hint AtlanticDrywall)
Mudshark....let's be nice to Atlantic now..
Play fair...apparently I invited him here! :jester:

Haha! It's all good bro! :thumbsup:
Just givin ya a hard time.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
''we drop off business cards at job sites of builders who don't use us'' I collect those cards!!!

Word of mouth means ..It comes to you!:D
Hahaha!! I do that too!
If I go price a job and I walk in and see a few business cards stapled to a door I'm just like yoink!! Mine!

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I read all of your post Atlantic Drywall:thumbsup:

Finding out where the building permits were, use to be a good method I did a long time ago:yes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
moore said:
''we drop off business cards at job sites of builders who don't use us'' I collect those cards!!!

Word of mouth means ..It comes to you!:D
Sure does... When you have a crew of 12+ going at all times sometimes you gotta get out there and find some yourself so everyone keeps on keeping on.

You'd be surprised at how many builders will practically hire you on the spot just by swinging in to introduce yourself and drop off a business card. At very least they'll give you an opportunity to bid the job.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
personally i use my jedi mindtrick....<waves hand>you need me to tape your houses. <waves hand again> you will pay me 50 cents. Then i start the house that day..:yes: try it
I knew I recognized you from somewhere!
obewan.jpg

21 - 40 of 47 Posts