Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
General Contractor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question but perhaps not a simple solution. I have a ceiling area that boxes out some HVAC that is exactly 4' wide (see pics). The issue is that I am trying to maximize the ceiling height so I'd like to avoid putting cross pieces. Can 5/8" drywall span 4' without sagging? Perhaps I can just put plywood ILO drywall in this one area? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
lightweight stuff supposed to span 4 ft but i sure wouldnt do it.

you would think a guy could glue strips if metal or plastic to back of rock and prevent sag? never heard of it but should work rite?

you could put a drop stud down there at one end between heat runs and help some.

·
Registered
General Contractor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, at a minimum, I will probably drop down some studs in that one section to allow for me to fasten in the middle at least there. The idea of gluing some stiffening ribs is a consideration as well. It would have to be some pretty stiff metal.

·
Registered
General Contractor
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tony. That is what I had always known to be the case. I may try to get some metal brackets to drop down from the joists between the HVAC where it is close to tie in to or I may just be forced span 2x4's across and lose the headroom. This will basically force me to trim the casing at the top of the doorway which I was hoping to avoid. :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts