Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My husband and I DIY everything and have a plaster patching project that we need advice on. Our living room walls were bubbling due to the brick outside of the house needing repointing, we have fixed that issue and now need to fix our bubbling wall. I scraped the bubbles off and widened the holes to where the white plaster top coat is no longer peeling off. I am at the brown coat now and need help patching. I made the mistake of putting drywall compound which didn't take to the plaster. My research has me thinking I need some sort of sealer then Durabond90 and then followed by drywall compound. Is this correct? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
looks real sandy rt? try wetting it down first? scratched all the loose stuff off? if all else fails i dont see why not try a sealer like guards. i have had some issues like that but rare and i always got it to stick. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is sandy, mixed with a bit of horse hair. The brown coat is very strong, not crumbling at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
it is sandy, mixed with a bit of horse hair. The brown coat is very strong, not crumbling at all.
Mix a bonding agent like plaster weld with water 50/50 apply to the brown coat let dry than apply USG Diamond veneer Plaster & trowel smooth.
If you can not get Diamond use a setting compound.
Joint Compound & conventional plaster don't work well together over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mix a bonding agent like plaster weld with water 50/50 apply to the brown coat let dry than apply USG Diamond veneer Plaster & trowel smooth.
If you can not get Diamond use a setting compound.
Joint Compound & conventional plaster don't work well together over time.
Thank you! Can I use Dura 90 and top it with drywall compound? I have a lot more experience with drywall compound, sanding and finishing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wrongly put drywall compound which didn't take to the mortar. My examination makes them think I want a type of sealer then Durabond90 and afterward followed by drywall compound. Is this right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wrongly put drywall compound which didn't take to the mortar. My examination makes them think I want a type of sealer then Durabond90 and afterward followed by drywall compound. Is this right?
Use a bonding agent like Plaster-Weld or Primer 118 by Bonsal or any other equal bonding agent used for Plaster mix 50 parts water & 50 parts agent using a misting bottle spray area to be patched let dry about 1 Hour than remist & apply the Setting Compound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts