Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster - Plaster Forum - Drywall Talk

Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster

Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Trade: Construction Services

Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster

Some questions for you guys. First, thank you for the forum. It's been help for some time. I've been a member for some time and used it as reference but unfortunately, never had anything of value I could add vs. some of the post already answered. Here are a few questions, I have not seen questions on or answer to.

1) USG Diamond does not specify "clean silica sand" sieve requirements.
2) USG Diamond references quantities used in "coffee cans" on spec sheets.

First: Silica sand can be purchased from essentially course ~#10 up to powder fine ~#100. Pool filter sand is ~#20 which is too course. I did find a reference that stated use "fine" silica sand, so I'm assuming that would be for say commercial grade quickrete silica fine sand is #30-#70. The coercivity can be set to taste obviously.
Question: What do most of you seasoned guys use for sanding (adding to) veneer plaster...or do most of you guys just choose "fine" grade sand?

Second: Depending on which spec sheet you refer to from Diamond, they reference a max of 20lb to one 50lb bag or to retain hardness, no more than 12.5lbs per bag of silica sand. Surprisingly, they noted in one spec sheet P777 (not the same one noting the 12.5lb max suggestion) mixing up to the volume of one 3lb coffee can of sand to one bag mix. How the heck do you equate how much sand to use (max) if you don't have a 3lb empty can of coffee? The only conclusion I can come up with is the coffee can may suggest that is 12.5lbs from one of their other spec sheets they've created.
Question: How much sand do you guys mix in one 50lb bag of plaster to the end results of a) sparse sand, b) med sand, c) aggressive sand in the final results or appearance?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-06-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Trade: drywall, plaster, steel studs, etc.

Re: Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster

Which begs the question - Why put silica sand in finish coat plaster?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
Which begs the question - Why put silica sand in finish coat plaster?
wow...I'm happy that endo has an comment to bring...though I wasn't asking for an opinion of why not to use it, I can appreciate the question. My discussion was to bring attention to plaster specs given by a manufacturer and what each professional uses in practical applications.

USG did not know how to interpret their explanation/specification of usage of material.

Diamond can be finished to many textures, smooth is just one type. Sand adds another dimension to a final finish. Myself personally when walking through a venue, viewing multiple finishes in different locations builds a characterization of each room. Sometimes, a similar finish coat that is run through an entire location even though it may be performed well, can be one note.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 AM   #4

Trade: Drywall stopper
Thanked 1,683 Times in 953 Posts

Not meaning to rain on your parade but for sand texture (interior) here they just put silica sand in the paint and use a wide brush to give it a trowelled cement look, only ever seen it once though.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Adding sand to paint on a non sanded surface is performed in Pittsburgh as well.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,302 Times in 760 Posts

The MSDS says 1.5% silica.

https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...3000010003.pdf
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I believe the safety sheet is suggesting 1.5% silica is present (composition) in the product, not the max % of silica that can be added.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,302 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I believe the safety sheet is suggesting 1.5% silica is present (composition) in the product, not the max % of silica that can be added.
If you modify the mixture you own it and USG doesn't have to stand behind it. Must be installed as per manufacturers instructions. I would never ask my people to do it any other way.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

In an odd sort of coincidence, since my asking why use sand in plaster; we were asked to do a sand finish texture in an apartment. We decided to use all purpose compound and sand, instead of plaster.

Last edited by endo_alley; 10-23-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #10

photos
Attached Thumbnails
Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster-final-texture.jpg   Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster-application-1-.jpg   Sanded (adding sand) to veneer plaster-application-2-.jpg  

Last edited by endo_alley; 10-23-2015 at 05:07 PM.