Trying to get rid of my "Belly"

Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall and Plaster

Trying to get rid of my "Belly"

I have been using Columbia tools for the last year. I am having issues with the finish on a flat joint. I get what I call a "belly". Thats where I can see and feel the joint, it sticks out like a belly. It's smooth, but has a rounded surface. I have been skimming it by hand to eliminate the issue, but this defeats the use of the boxes on my skim coat. I start with a 10" box and skim with the12" box. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have it set up wrong? Does everyone skim by hand on the final coat? Also, with my corner tool, the mud pours out the back rubber seal. I have to clean it after every corner. I have tried soaking it before I use it, which helps some, but does not eliminate the problem. Any thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Trade: builder.drywaller.steelstuder.ect

Re: Trying to get rid of my "Belly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board'em View Post
I have been using Columbia tools for the last year. I am having issues with the finish on a flat joint. I get what I call a "belly". Thats where I can see and feel the joint, it sticks out like a belly. It's smooth, but has a rounded surface. I have been skimming it by hand to eliminate the issue, but this defeats the use of the boxes on my skim coat. I start with a 10" box and skim with the12" box. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have it set up wrong? Does everyone skim by hand on the final coat? Also, with my corner tool, the mud pours out the back rubber seal. I have to clean it after every corner. I have tried soaking it before I use it, which helps some, but does not eliminate the problem. Any thoughts?
Try running your 10inch box on a number2 it will be crowned when wet but should dry pretty flat..than12 inch box around a 3or4. This is a good ballpark setting to start with..mud viscosity will make a big differance in remaining hollow or being crowned..oyeah and this goes without say but...the sandind is just as important as the coating

Last edited by smisner50s; 08-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
board hog

Trade: Interior contractor

We say the seams are "crowned" or "humped" around here. Make sure you're running the box on the proper setting . Check the boxed seam with a strait broadknife to see if it's flat. I've looked into this issue many times and come up with alot of different reasons depending on circumstances. I always check seams before coating to know what I'm up against. Mostly the drywall has a "shoulder" just outside the taper and to get it covered you end up with crowned seams. I usually make the seam wider (after the box was run) by hand on the side that is most hollow. As far as the angle box, get new seals. Are you sure they aren't in backwards? If they are it will dump mud out the back of the box. Good luck, Mike
Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #4

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

If your taping mud is a little stiff, it won't shrink enough and be crowned. Might check to see if it is crowned even before you run a box on it.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,017 Times in 597 Posts

You didn't say if your hand tapeing or not?????

If you hand tape and fill the bevel, making it nice and pretty, then your bed coat should be done like on a 2 setting, the bevel is already filled.

Basically, all you need to do is FILL it, not over-fill it. Just got to mess with your box till ya get it where YOU want it.
DSJOHN (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

It is a common mistake. Probably easier than under filling.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

after running a few with your 10'' box go back and check with a knife. If your seam is full (not crowned but just full) then it should be just a little hollow after mud dries. Run with 12'' box and you should be good.
Just play with your settings and check frequently and you will figure it out.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,490 Posts

Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread on how to lose your beer belly, and it's not

It's what the boys are saying, it's the step before your coating that you might be doing wrong. You actually want the flat tape to shrink back, which can be achieved with runny mud and not back filling/wiping your tape.

The box #'s are by trail and error and visual, for example, I run mine at #3, but a few weeks back I installed new blades, I was running it at #5 and it was still loading too much, thank god it was student rentals.

Which reminds me, rough sanding is to remove debris or lift marks from your work, not a form of leveling the joints. If you find your sanding to level, increase your box # coating/bedding
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Trade: drywall installer and finisher
Talking

[QUOTE=2buckcanuck;35068]Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread on how to lose your beer belly, and it's not

Comes a certain time in a mans life when he just has to realize he will never see his junk again without the help of a mirror.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdwoodcox For This Useful Post:
DSJOHN (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #10

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,017 Times in 597 Posts

[quote=cdwoodcox;35085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread on how to lose your beer belly, and it's not

Comes a certain time in a mans life when he just has to realize he will never see his junk again without the help of a mirror.
Or a foley catheter

Seriously,,, I can tell ya how to see your belly again,,,,,,,

Can we talk?????