MudRunner vs Compound Tube

Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Trade: taping and finishing w/ tools!

MudRunner vs Compound Tube

What are you guys thoughts?

PA has a mudrunner that hasn't worked right since day one. I used them at the plant, so I know how they are supposed to operate. Maybe I'll have to get him to bring it in and make a vid.

I have no experience with compound tubes what so ever. Seems that one advantage to the compound tube is you can vary its length if needed (closet fronts).

Pros/Cons, experiences, etc.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Rock'n Hawk

Trade: taper/boarder
Thanked 1,212 Times in 548 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mudslingr

Re: MudRunner vs Compound Tube

I'm new to the Mudrunner but I like it. Whoever suggested stiffer mud is giving bad advice. Keep it thin just as you would your tube. Mine seems to run fine but then I have never had another to compare it to but I do know how a tool should work.
I also like the tube very much for doing angles. At least you can control the flow of mud much easier especially in low spots where more is needed to flush out nicely and not have to slow down.
As far as speed goes they are about the same considering a Mudrunner I believe should go a little further in one fill...IF you have a nicely filled tape coat to start with.
Tube and flusher/angle head is more forgiving I think. I'd be happier if I only paid $450 instead of $750 for my Mudrunner though. Neither is a bad choice. The Mudrunner is a little too pricey.
I still prefer the tube in closets. Much easier to do the tight ones with a tube.The Mudrunner is quite long.

Last edited by mudslingr; 12-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #3

Trade: Drywall and decorating
Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,097 Posts

I have everything, Now I seem to look at the runner and think, Dam thing, I need a pump to fill it, Then its a big clean up, Now I just reach for the tube and flushers and into it. For finish coats anyway. But for fitting beads the tube and mud heads are great. I guess if I had a big job on now I would reach for the runner to apply mud then flush off but its smaller houses for me lately.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslingr View Post
I'm new to the Mudrunner but I like it. Whoever suggested stiffer mud is giving bad advice. Keep it thin just as you would your tube. Mine seems to run fine but then I have never had another to compare it to but I do know how a tool should work.
I also like the tube very much for doing angles. At least you can control the flow of mud much easier especially in low spots where more is needed to flush out nicely and not have to slow down.
As far as speed goes they are about the same considering a Mudrunner I believe should go a little further in one fill...IF you have a nicely filled tape coat to start with.
Tube and flusher/angle head is more forgiving I think. I'd be happier if I only paid $450 instead of $750 for my Mudrunner though. Neither is a bad choice. The Mudrunner is a little too pricey.
I still prefer the tube in closets. Much easier to do the tight ones with a tube.The Mudrunner is quite long.

Mud thickness is up to the individual and is affected by the strength of the particular gas spring ( they seem to vary ) in the unit. I could easily run thicker mud in my sample than I could in a corner box. I bought mine in 2003 and the spring although a bit weaker, is still pushing mud out.

Obviously, too thick of mud and it won't push, or push very slowly. Too thin and you have to very aware of the flow control ( twist amount ). Like anything, it just takes time.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Trade: Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazna View Post
I have everything, Now I seem to look at the runner and think, Dam thing, I need a pump to fill it, Then its a big clean up, Now I just reach for the tube and flushers and into it. For finish coats anyway. But for fitting beads the tube and mud heads are great. I guess if I had a big job on now I would reach for the runner to apply mud then flush off but its smaller houses for me lately.
I use the tubes as well as the MR also.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior DB Member

Trade: Gyprocker
Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,218 Posts

I have been using the runner for a few years now and love it. I personally find I have more control with the runner as opposed to the tube.
The gas spring (it looks like a gas strut like that used on car hoods) is replaceable ( $99.00 at All-Wall http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/T...dRunner-Parts/)

The other option would be to get it re-gassed. I have gas struts on my trailer and have had them re-gassed. It is not that difficult the bloke that did mine came out and did it on site.

The Following User Says Thank You to gazman For This Useful Post:
keke (12-21-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
FASTER THAN A MARE

Trade: Taper

I flash out with cfs