Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

Angle heads?

26K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  Bazooka-Joe 
#1 ·
Hello all
Im after a few thoughts on angle heads, all the brands say that theres are the best, Northstar say use straight out of the box have a good clip system and well tested and slightly different sizes, tapetech and drywall master have the little easy roll wheel which makes them glide better, some people like columbia??? so some help on this would be appreciated they are expensive little things and im thinking of getting a set and want the best, Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I own Tapetech and Drywall Master heads and have much better luck with the 3" Tapetech easy roll than my 2.5" Drywall Master. The 2" Tapetech is pretty fair too, and I'd consider trying Columbia heads based on the way their flat boxes run. My goldblatt 7" flat box is nasty by comparison, so I wouldn't be very keen to try their angle heads.

#3 ·
ive had ames/tapetech/concorde/columbia and now northstar..the northstar and the best of the bunch in my opinion....and they do run true out of the box..I have a columbia too that has the unbreakable blades and I would have felt better giving the money to a stripper..worthless, again, in my opinion

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I have a goldblatt 7" angle box and 2" and 3.5" angle head and its not working out for me, interesting what you said about the angle box being nasty, i have nothing to compare, the auto tools arnt a big thing in nz yet and the sales reps havent a clue so all my info has to come from trying and ballsing it up. The 3.5 head tracks all over the place and the 2" seems to leave to much of a build up, prob my inexperience wouldnt be helping but it makes it harder if the tools are not the best. I have been using the flushers but i think the angle heads can produce a sharper corner with less pushing and i want to do the best i can, i have some top end larger homes that are square/box stopped coming up so really want to impress.

Northstar and drywallmaster seem to be rated well? Someone posted there new tapetech was all out of alinement and made in china, Got no idea on columbia or blueline, has anyone had a go with the new bone heads from drywall master, are the blades stainless? if so then that would be a plus for me as i live is a coastal area and everything rusts so i have to really oil the blades. And those wheels could be good and keeping it on track?? Maybe??

#6 ·
Like anything....You get what you pay for. For the sake of spending an extra couple of hundred on tools that will earn you thousands back in the long run...even the most expensive tools are cheap, having to justify the price too your Mrs will be the hard part.
I've got northstar heads and have no complaints (apart from the user), another Kiwi on the forum (croozer) imported a full set of columbia's and you would need a hammer and a chisel to pry them out of his cold dead hands, his columbia ext handle feels a lot better than my northstar, the brake on my handle bites the flesh behind my little finger when I release the brake...that wakes me up pretty quick.
Just don't go for the cheap ones...afterall, we are supposed to be tradesman and not home handyman.

#8 ·
I priced up the tools a few years ago when i decided to make the move, about $13,000 for a set of tapetach northstar columbia etc when the exchange rate wasnt as good, but i found someone selling a set of new goldblatt for $7000, i figured it was just a big store mark up was the price difference and (someone who did support and sell finishpro with many posts to support them but then changed his mind, not going to mention who) lead me to believe they were same as any other, i have no problem with the taper or pump and the boxes etc do work but just not at the level of the other brands and i myself want to do the best i can, so now i have a goldblatt taper and pump, tape tech boxes northstar handle and will soon be upgrading the angle heads when i can figure out which brand to chose, so its still costing me around the 13k anyway.

And thanks to the drywallmaster rep for that pm, good work.

#11 ·
Wow this is an old thread, Funny to read it back now, What a journey its been.

My tapeworm has overtakin the DM for my finish head now so the DM is tapecoat, But my goldblatt can do that as well, This thread was pre mudrunner for me, That tool changed the game and made it happen.

As for which is the best, Tough call, They are prob the same but is tapetech china and DM usa??

DM will support you, Will tapetech and all wall??

#12 ·
have to say tapetech:thumbup:we have a 8 yr old little 1 we use for taping never had to do ANYTHING to it. also have bigger 1 with wheels bout 4 yr old now DITTO.Have not tried dm or anything other than premier or tapetech they are probably all bout same anymore just havnt had to shop 4 one:whistling2:

Reactions: JustMe
#13 · (Edited)
Thanks cazna, chris.

I just don't know. Tape Tech seems to have let their quality slide in some other things, so I'm not sure what I might end up with when it comes to their wheeled heads, although maybe they're good.

From what others have said, it sounds like DM's customer service is better overall. And with TT having gone through bankruptcy once fairly recently, are they going to be around for the next long while, or will they end up another Northstar?

Doubt is making me lean to DM's Bone Heads right now, unless Tape Tech's wheeled heads are somewhat better.

#14 ·
I have TT, tapeworm,premire,columbia heads.

TT won't talk to ANYONE, your on your own,

Tapeworm is okay, premire is like outa bussiness,,,

Columbia, will talk to you, help you fix the problem, send you a vidieo on how to fix it, and even send you a part for free every once in awhile.:thumbsup:

#16 ·
Thanks, Capt.

I have pretty much all Columbia, including their smaller angle heads. They do have a 3" wheeled version now, but not a 3 1/2" one.
I didn't know they have a wheeled version, (I really am getting too old).

I use the mudrunner, so the wheel isn't that big an issue as it was with the corner box. The point i was trying to make is this,,, Columbia cares and they will go to WHATEVER means it takes to get your tool running and staying right that it takes,,,, there is NO OTHER company out there that cares about you like that!

Since we are talking pennies between the price, why not go with the company that remembers you AFTER you buy the tool.

I'm through preaching now.

#21 ·
No difference, the wheels only kick in when the angle is acute (under 90 degrees) other than that, they sit there and and do nothing.

So it's not like the wheels in gauge all the time.

So you would half to find a crooked angle, run a head with wheels, and one without, to see if you feel a difference.

But mine has wheels too so...........:whistling2: just saying:rolleyes:

#22 ·
Tapetech Angle Heads

cant explain how they just are better.Almost 20 yrs into this,had a Premier to start...not bad heads seemed like we were adjusting,fixing,replacing parts quite often :blink: my tapetech heads have NEVER been fooled with,,peerrrfect every angle.It also feels like you cant pump an angle wrong,the wheels help keep you square :thumbsup: Hadnt heard about DM til I found this site,sound like a new company,also it sounds like they require alot of customer service. I prefer to not have to call a rep about tools,we pay enough $ for them they shouldnt need much repair if any at all

#23 · (Edited)
cant explain how they just are better.Almost 20 yrs into this,had a Premier to start...not bad heads seemed like we were adjusting,fixing,replacing parts quite often :blink: my tapetech heads have NEVER been fooled with,,peerrrfect every angle.It also feels like you cant pump an angle wrong,the wheels help keep you square :thumbsup: Hadnt heard about DM til I found this site,sound like a new company,also it sounds like they require alot of customer service. I prefer to not have to call a rep about tools,we pay enough $ for them they shouldnt need much repair if any at all
Thanks, Chris.

History I found on DM:

HISTORY
Behind Drywall Master Tools Drywall
Master Tools was started by Larry
D’Souza, a seasoned veteran of the
automatic taping tool industry.
Prior to founding Drywall Master Tools,
Larry and his partners helped shape the
industry in 1980 by starting one of the
first companies to sell a complete set of
automatic taping tools... By 1987, they
were selling more automatic drywall
taping tools than all other manufacturers...
with dealers in the US, Canada, United
Kingdom, France, South Africa, Australia
and New Zealand.
Twenty-three years ago, Larry and his
colleagues transformed the industry
from almost a pure rental market, to a
market where contractors could own
tools at a lower total cost of ownership.
In this tradition, Drywall Master Tools is
continuing the commitment to provide
contractors with the ability to own the best
quality taping tools.

How old are your TapeTech heads? Pics of their latest wheeled heads look different in some ways from your pic: http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Angle-Heads/TapeTech-EasyRoll-Angle-Head1

Maybe their latest ones are even better. Or maybe not. Maybe they're still the same, operation wise. Lots of maybes.

I'm thinking if you haven't tried DMs, hard to say if TT's are the Cadillac. Or if they were, that they still are.

One concern I have about some of the newer stuff coming out from some companies is that they're moving to different suppliers - eg. China. What once was, quality wise, might no longer be from some companies. Or if they're still making them or having them supplied from the same outfits, they've downgraded the quality requirements to maybe boost profits. Harvest what they can, while they can, from a well established name.

When I was doing tree work, I bought a pair of loppers that were great. Bought another pair a couple years later - same name, same model #. They weren't so great.

Heard the same about some drywall finishing tools. What was, no longer is.

And then there's some tools and companies that seem to be getting better in ways than they once were.

#25 ·
Like your post # 23, on the history of DM

Got me to thinking, some of the older tapers than me ( those evil baby boomers that cazna says screwed everything up) Said it was the worst thing that happened when the tools came out on the market for anyone to buy. Because......... The companies use to supply to the subs, and it controlled who could come into the market. But when the tools could be bought buy anyone, it meant that any Tom, D1ck or Harry thought he could become a taper, which started to drive the price down. Then the companies stopped supplying, and expected you to buy your own tools. Which became money out of your pocket, and more over head.

They also said you could abuse the hell out of the tools, they were rented so..... if something broke down, you would have a replacement the next day.....

Makes you wonder if they were right

#27 ·
I have been using Columbias heads also and they have been working perfectly out of the box for years.
I know a lot of people buy from all wall.But I always buy my tools from John Mason at Mason drywall supply out of Texas,Nice guy and everything is always cheaper than all wall.I can barely squeeze a t-shirt out of all-wall.
I remember a few years ago I was looking for a slightly curved trowel,So I called John Mason and asked him to look over a few trowels and send me one that is not too much of a curve,He sent me 6 or 7 trowels and a return postage and said pick the best one and return the rest on me.You dont see that kind of customer service anymore.
Here is the difference for prices,
http://www.masondrywall.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=80

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Angle-Heads/TapeTech-EasyRoll-Angle-Head1

#30 · (Edited)
(except for the color:)).
You, too? :D

Not saying there's anything wrong with gold colour, though. But I'm (usually) not a 'gold' person - except when it's real. There's probably a lot out there who do like gold for a colour.

I've wondered why DM hasn't gotten around to colouring theirs in some manner (or doesn't anymore). Maybe to keep the cost down? &/or they think it appeals to drywall finishers who have a 'minimalist' mindset? &/or .....?

#33 ·
Maybe that could be due in part to how well each head is set up? We used my 3" Columbia the other day on another guy's Apla-Tech Cannon. He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with it when compared to his Northstar angle head. He liked it enough that he mentioned about maybe getting a Columbia, as his Northstar needs some TLC and he thought about putting money towards a new head, rather than toward his existing one.

#34 · (Edited)
I ordered in a 3.5" wheeled Bonehead the other week, as I wanted to try a wheeled version and Columbia said their's needed a fix before putting it out. Otherwise that's the one I would've got.

I was calipering today the angle heads I have:

- 2 1/2" Columbia's blade measures 2 1/2" from tip of blade to where it intersects with the outside of the side blade
- 3" Columbia - 3"
- 3 1/2" Drywall Master Bonehead - 3 3/16"

Bonehead's size claims seems fairly undersized. Wonder what standard the sizing of these is supposed to be going by, or if each company is just picking their own standard.

With 3/16" difference only between my 3" and 3.5", wonder if and how that could affect performance, when running larger to smaller, or smaller to larger in size.

#35 ·
I ordered in a 3.5" wheeled Bonehead the other week, as I wanted to try a wheeled version and Columbia said their's needed a fix before putting it out. Otherwise that's the one I would've got.

I was calipering today the angle heads I have:

- 2 1/2" Columbia's blade measures 2 1/2" from tip to where it intersects with the outside of the side blade
- 3" Columbia - 3"
- 3 1/2" Drywall Master Bonehead - 3 3/16"

Bonehead's size claims seems fairly undersized. Wonder what standard the sizing of these is supposed to be going by, or if each company is just picking their own standard.

With 3/16" difference only between my 3" and 3.5", wonder how that might affect performance, if at all.
Not to reply for any other company but our 3.5" Anglehead is actually 3.6" but we just round it down so that it flows better. 2", 2.5", 3", and 3.5"

#48 ·
Thanks again justme, So What did you think of the look of the tapeworm??

Columbia, Are you blades as beefy as that or are they standard slim blades??

The thicker blades on the tapeworm seem to smmooth off better and dont catch the trash or scratch as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.