Size of compressor?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Trade: Finisher & Hanger

Size of compressor?

Best size of compressor to keep up with a whole house texture job?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Re: Size of compressor?

Low pressure high volume pump is what you need.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

It all depends on your texture. If it is just regular old popcorn it is nice to have enough air pressure to anodize your product. Personally it is better to have too much air pressure available than to little. And a lot of air pressure you need depends on how thick of material you have.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
dirty mudder

Trade: finishing, texture, paint,

i use a pancake compressor. we usually do a knockdown texture and can typically texture about 10,000-12,000 sqft of sheetrock in 4 -5 hours.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim View Post
i use a pancake compressor. we usually do a knockdown texture and can typically texture about 10,000-12,000 sqft of sheetrock in 4 -5 hours.
So you are saying you can do a knockdown on 50-60 sheets per hour with a pancake compressor? What the heck do u have on that thing for a motor ? A 20 horse... I am sure you are using a hopper also right? I don't think that is possible unless your knockdown is hit and miss with hardly any product on the walls or ceilings. How many gallons does it take for you to do this? I just finished up a light knockdown on a little over 14,000' of walls 120 gal. of mud and three hours with a pump, I think that went fast could of went faster if I didn't,t have to stop and help wipe out, it was a lite knockdown with everything the half the size of a dime but uniform. I would like to see some pictures of your outcome. Get real....
Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
dirty mudder

sounds about like the same knockdown im doing. just 2 of us. one sprays with hopper while one will follow and wipe down. everything is even and uniform. no missed spots or anything like that.. i will take pictures for you monday of our setup and of the texture.. 10,000' i use about 40-50 gallons of texture. i use usg all purpose and thin is down to the consistancy of soupy pancake batter...
and whats with the "get real" comment? the op wanted to know what people were using for a whole house setup.. just trying to help.. if you dont believe me let the pictures do the talking..

Last edited by nim; 10-31-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim View Post
sounds about like the same knockdown im doing. just 2 of us. one sprays with hopper while one will follow and wipe down. everything is even and uniform. no missed spots or anything like that.. i will take pictures for you monday of our setup and of the texture.. 10,000' i use about 40-50 gallons of texture. i use usg all purpose and thin is down to the consistancy of soupy pancake batter...
and whats with the "get real" comment? the op wanted to know what people were using for a whole house setup.. just trying to help.. if you dont believe me let the pictures do the talking..
I just don't believe that a pancake compressor is capable of keeping up with the air pressure and volume it takes to spray that is why I question what your knockdown looks like 40-50 gals of mud it must be a very light knockdown... interesting...still have my doubts but to each his own.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
dirty mudder

i will snap some photos tomorrow for you
Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Trade: R&D Drywall and Plastering Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstilts View Post
I just don't believe that a pancake compressor is capable of keeping up with the air pressure and volume it takes to spray that is why I question what your knockdown looks like 40-50 gals of mud it must be a very light knockdown... interesting...still have my doubts but to each his own.
I'm with Silver on this one...

Don't see how a pancake would provide a decent pattern for any length of time regardless of the spray gun (hopper or diaphram with a wand). It could work I guess but using at least 10 cfm would provide a larger area of texture being applied and be much faster.

I would think a pancake running full open (nearly) continually would burn up before too long.

If you say it's working though...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
dirty mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardman View Post
I'm with Silver on this one...

Don't see how a pancake would provide a decent pattern for any length of time regardless of the spray gun (hopper or diaphram with a wand). It could work I guess but using at least 10 cfm would provide a larger area of texture being applied and be much faster.

I would think a pancake running full open (nearly) continually would burn up before too long.

If you say it's working though...
thats how i run it, full open. i buy the cheap buffalo tools brand ones and they last about a year or so. it supplies sufficent pressure at full open, ive never had any problems with my pattern.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #11

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

Jeepers, I am doing it all wrong I guess. I have a 13 horse gas Quincy and a Kodiak. I have sprayed with a 5 horse gas and it was always slow. Didn't give me a good pattern. I can't see how a pancake would keep up. To each his own, I suppose. More power to him. We spray two houses a week. The each average around 12,000 feet of rock. Takes about 26 buckets for each. We use bag spray and mix the day before to soak most of the lumps out. Never have liked using lite or AP mud for texture. Too many pin holes in the texture from thinning enough to texture. Just what I like.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #12

Trade: finishing

No brilliance within this post, maybe even a master of the obvious statement, but:

Haven't textured (well, VERY little, helping others), and don't know if this might help, or maybe is already being done, but one thing I've done for solving compressed air requirements/compressed air requirement spikes, is to piggyback in a decent enough sized spare tank between the compressor and the hose reel. When I'm taking a break from using the air, such as when I'm moving over to set up somewhere else, it can give the compressor a chance to refill the spare tank as well, in part or in whole. If it's a little harder on the compressor, I figured increase in production, better job being done, ease of getting by with maybe a smaller/lighter compressor to move around, ......., could make it worth it enough.

Last edited by JustMe; 10-31-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #13

Trade: R&D Drywall and Plastering Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
No brilliance within this post, maybe even a master of the obvious statement, but:

Haven't textured (well, VERY little, helping others), and don't know if this might help, or maybe is already being done, but one thing I've done for solving compressed air requirements/compressed air requirement spikes, is to piggyback in a decent enough sized spare tank between the compressor and the hose reel. When I'm taking a break from using the air, such as when I'm moving over to set up somewhere else, it can give the compressor a chance to refill the spare tank as well, in part or in whole. If it's a little harder on the compressor, I figured increase in production, better job being done, ease of getting by with maybe a smaller/lighter compressor to move around, ......., could make it worth it enough.
I thought about this a lot in the design of our new system. A reservoir of some size is important as it receives a pulse of air from the compressor and sends it out in a smooth flow for texturing. But using a small compressor and depending on a tank to hold enough air to do a room or two is going to slow you down. A compressor should last a minimum of 5 years trouble free and much longer if it's designed and maintained properly. Running a small pump (compressor) is a cheap solution for remodel/repair but I just don't believe that it is best for daily production work.

We make more money with the proper equipment.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #14

Trade: finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardman View Post
Running a small pump (compressor) is a cheap solution for remodel/repair but I just don't believe that it is best for daily production work.

We make more money with the proper equipment.
No argument from me on that, especially if the equipment IS light for daily production. nim seems to think his is okay for what he's doing. Maybe it is, or maybe he'd find out differently if running one of your's.

Maybe a little added help, like an inline spare tank, could be a boost to make what he's doing make more sense. Or maybe not.

As I said in my post, I don't really know the texture end of things, so could only speculate right now on what might be good enough system(s), till I really knew system requirements, job site types it would be used on, job types it would be used for, ....... .

I have designed/built some quite 'outside the norm' pneumatic, hydraulic, pressure washer type systems, to better end up with "the proper equipment". Even had some engineers from FMC Corp. say one time that what I was looking to build wouldn't work. But it did. Maybe they just wanted me to buy one of their systems.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
dirty mudder

heres my setup,and our normal texture we spray. we typically texture a house every 1-2 weeks, so its not like im texturing every day but ive never had to slow down from my normal pace to wait on the compressor as i dont let any pressure build up in the tank, just run it full out.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,646 Times in 986 Posts

Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,484 Posts

Your tape job looks good ,nice line up job on your 3 way transition on the bull nose .I used a small compressor before to spray here and there.it brunt out ,found when the machine kicked on more went to the floor than ceiling,was thinking extra air tank like other guys were saying on here,but little hot dog compressor go bye bye
now don't get me wrong,mine looked like your work,the H.O and G.C. liked it,I got paid etc....then I seen the guys who do the spray work every day,with the cool rigs to do it,their spray size was bigger,plus they could change the spray size to what ever you wanted.I found I could only get one size pattern,then when I rented a machine ,it was WOW what a difference,speed and pattern size.....feel free to shoot me down,I'm more of a taper so...hope you understand what I'm trying to get across ,tape job looks great
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
Mud Manipulator

Trade: Drywall Finishing

Well I may get slammed here but I don't see anything wrong with that. Its like when I was looking into the pnumatic apla tech system I was told I needed this 10 cfm $1500 dollar compressor to run them tools. Well I use a 2 gallon Dewalt $230 compressor and it works just fine. Sure I ve bought 2 over 3 years , but $230 is alot easier to come up with than $1500. I like tools and I always like bigger , better , and faster, but reality is I can use a cheaper set up and do just as good a work as a $ 2500- $5000 dollar rig , just maybe not as fast, but still done in a day and everyone is happy
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
Your tape job looks good ,nice line up job on your 3 way transition on the bull nose .I used a small compressor before to spray here and there.it brunt out ,found when the machine kicked on more went to the floor than ceiling,was thinking extra air tank like other guys were saying on here,but little hot dog compressor go bye bye
now don't get me wrong,mine looked like your work,the H.O and G.C. liked it,I got paid etc....then I seen the guys who do the spray work every day,with the cool rigs to do it,their spray size was bigger,plus they could change the spray size to what ever you wanted.I found I could only get one size pattern,then when I rented a machine ,it was WOW what a difference,speed and pattern size.....feel free to shoot me down,I'm more of a taper so...hope you understand what I'm trying to get across ,tape job looks great

I know where you are going with this 2buck.

Its not high air pressure really like most of you are thinking.

Volume of air is the key to proper knockdown production.

JS
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #20
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstar View Post
I know where you are going with this 2buck.

Its not high air pressure really like most of you are thinking.

Volume of air is the key to proper knockdown production.

JS
nope,going no where with it,just saying thats about the size i got with the hopper and compressor I had,nims hopper looks the same as mine too.just if someone asked can you make the spots bigger,the answer would be nope,thats why I hire someone else to do it on side jobs,he's set up,can give customer what ever style they want.nims pics bring back memories,and shoulder pain,thats all
The Following User Says Thank You to 2buckcanuck For This Useful Post:
drywallmike08 (09-28-2011)

Tags
compressor