Size of compressor?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #1

Trade: Finisher & Hanger

Size of compressor?

Best size of compressor to keep up with a whole house texture job?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
The Happy Taper

Trade: The Happy Taper

Re: Size of compressor?

Low pressure high volume pump is what you need.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

It all depends on your texture. If it is just regular old popcorn it is nice to have enough air pressure to anodize your product. Personally it is better to have too much air pressure available than to little. And a lot of air pressure you need depends on how thick of material you have.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
dirty mudder

Trade: finishing, texture, paint,

i use a pancake compressor. we usually do a knockdown texture and can typically texture about 10,000-12,000 sqft of sheetrock in 4 -5 hours.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim View Post
i use a pancake compressor. we usually do a knockdown texture and can typically texture about 10,000-12,000 sqft of sheetrock in 4 -5 hours.
So you are saying you can do a knockdown on 50-60 sheets per hour with a pancake compressor? What the heck do u have on that thing for a motor ? A 20 horse... I am sure you are using a hopper also right? I don't think that is possible unless your knockdown is hit and miss with hardly any product on the walls or ceilings. How many gallons does it take for you to do this? I just finished up a light knockdown on a little over 14,000' of walls 120 gal. of mud and three hours with a pump, I think that went fast could of went faster if I didn't,t have to stop and help wipe out, it was a lite knockdown with everything the half the size of a dime but uniform. I would like to see some pictures of your outcome. Get real....
Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
dirty mudder

sounds about like the same knockdown im doing. just 2 of us. one sprays with hopper while one will follow and wipe down. everything is even and uniform. no missed spots or anything like that.. i will take pictures for you monday of our setup and of the texture.. 10,000' i use about 40-50 gallons of texture. i use usg all purpose and thin is down to the consistancy of soupy pancake batter...
and whats with the "get real" comment? the op wanted to know what people were using for a whole house setup.. just trying to help.. if you dont believe me let the pictures do the talking..

Last edited by nim; 10-31-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim View Post
sounds about like the same knockdown im doing. just 2 of us. one sprays with hopper while one will follow and wipe down. everything is even and uniform. no missed spots or anything like that.. i will take pictures for you monday of our setup and of the texture.. 10,000' i use about 40-50 gallons of texture. i use usg all purpose and thin is down to the consistancy of soupy pancake batter...
and whats with the "get real" comment? the op wanted to know what people were using for a whole house setup.. just trying to help.. if you dont believe me let the pictures do the talking..
I just don't believe that a pancake compressor is capable of keeping up with the air pressure and volume it takes to spray that is why I question what your knockdown looks like 40-50 gals of mud it must be a very light knockdown... interesting...still have my doubts but to each his own.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
dirty mudder

i will snap some photos tomorrow for you
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #9

Trade: R&D Drywall and Plastering Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstilts View Post
I just don't believe that a pancake compressor is capable of keeping up with the air pressure and volume it takes to spray that is why I question what your knockdown looks like 40-50 gals of mud it must be a very light knockdown... interesting...still have my doubts but to each his own.
I'm with Silver on this one...

Don't see how a pancake would provide a decent pattern for any length of time regardless of the spray gun (hopper or diaphram with a wand). It could work I guess but using at least 10 cfm would provide a larger area of texture being applied and be much faster.

I would think a pancake running full open (nearly) continually would burn up before too long.

If you say it's working though...
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
dirty mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhardman View Post
I'm with Silver on this one...

Don't see how a pancake would provide a decent pattern for any length of time regardless of the spray gun (hopper or diaphram with a wand). It could work I guess but using at least 10 cfm would provide a larger area of texture being applied and be much faster.

I would think a pancake running full open (nearly) continually would burn up before too long.

If you say it's working though...
thats how i run it, full open. i buy the cheap buffalo tools brand ones and they last about a year or so. it supplies sufficent pressure at full open, ive never had any problems with my pattern.

Tags
compressor