Priming and Texture

Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Trade: Residential & Commercial Drywall, Doublewides, Remodeling

Priming and Texture

2 Questions
1. When you guys prime before texuring (new rock) do you do it for the purpose of the texture adhereing to the rock better, or for the purpose of it drying evenly for a consistant knockdown? The companies here all shoot on bare rock and just knockdown right away or sand when dry.

2. When skimming to retexture do you prime before skimming, after skimming and before texture or just after texture? I've heard all three ways so I wanted to see what YOU guys had to say on it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall

Re: Priming and Texture

A+

1. Are usual process, honestly, is we never feel the use for a primer (on bare rock...or new drywall, whatever you wanna call it....IF im understanding you correctly when you say 'bare' rock).

If we DID.......the main purpose i would see it as is so everything blends evenly........the primer would act to bring everything to one, uniform level. If your finishing work / sanding is good enough of course.....the primer is unnecessary......especially on a standard level 4.

Now, just because i never have my guys primer, i never said it was 'bad'.......my personal opinion is that it never hurts. And although it can be minor, i never spend the extra cost and labor to apply it.

as far as i know, a lot of companies rarely use a primer before texturing (on new drywall), unless requested.

and btw, do people really SAND the texture down to achieve a 'knockdown texture?' hahahah.....no offense to anyone who MAY do this method for knockdown...but to me, that sounds bad.

when we do a knockdown texture on new drywall, we spray it......let it dry for about 10 mins/room.......then comeback and use a broad 24" or so plastic knife with an extension handle to 'knock' it down.

after 10 minutes, the initial spray stiffens up a bit to allow the knocking down.........do it too soon, and itll just end up looking amateur and un-uniform -- or too knocked down (flat).

2. it really depends A+ on the condition of the area to be skimmed......
if its questionable, i always have my guys do test squares of about 2 x 2 with mud........then we just wait to see how it reacts to the raw wall basically.

if you do this, and find the mud bubbling (due to whatever chemical might be on the existing surface trying to escape) then yea, you should roll on a primer/shellac......whatever.

and after the areas are completely skim coated....are you asking if we put on primer on top of that?......if so, no....i never do that at least. unnecessary. (again, each case is different though).

as far as priming AFTER texture (if this is also what u are asking).........around here, painters usually do it. rarely have i primed post-texture.

hope that helps A+.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

I don't prime before texture I just ase a squegge type knife right after I shoot. But here and elsewhere People have suggested you should, a waste of time in my opinion.
On skimming I think maybe the only time to prime might be on real glossy walls, but I've read other posts where some say prime before skimming and some say before texture. If you followed this advice you'd end up priming 3 times by the time you paint your finish coat. Seems like a waste of money. And time. I'd still like to hear some other opinions though.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Texture LLC View Post
I don't prime before texture I just ase a squegge type knife right after I shoot. But here and elsewhere People have suggested you should, a waste of time in my opinion.
On skimming I think maybe the only time to prime might be on real glossy walls, but I've read other posts where some say prime before skimming and some say before texture. If you followed this advice you'd end up priming 3 times by the time you paint your finish coat. Seems like a waste of money. And time. I'd still like to hear some other opinions though.
exactly. youd end up priming 3 times!!!!????

it is a waste of money, especially if you are doing production style homes.

if this was high-end custom residential......high-end specs across the board, etc etc......than yes, prime before you texture...but still, thats it.

i dont see the use going beyond one prime.

and yes, u are right on glossy walls...

still.....i would test areas of those glossy walls even with mud to see how they react.

quick note: on a small bathroom skim/retexture......i was stubborn and didnt have my guy prime the walls NOR did i have him perform 'test' areas with mud........i just told him to go gung ho and start skimming the hell outta the bathroom walls, although i knew there was a high gloss paint.

i figured at the most, i would have to do a spot touch-up on areas that bubbled due to the gloss paint.

well......i ended up skimming this freakin bathroom THREE and a half times hahahhaha. my finisher was very frustrated with my stubbornness although i could tell he was afraid to express it hahhahahha......ill never forget when he looked at me on the 3rd skim coat as he passed over the bubbling and finally goes.... "boss......im getting paid for this right?"

hahhahahhaha....priceless. the thing that bit me in the azz, was the bubbling wasnt apparent until the NEXT day.....even by the end of the 1st skim coat, my finisher said it was just bubbling minor......but we thought a spot touchup the 2nd day would do. yea, i was wrong.

sighhh.....thank god it was a tiny bathroom...but still, i learned a huge lesson haha...

all in all, never hurts to be cautious.....and i admit i DEFINITELY cut corners just to get the job done fast.

if i primed originally, then skim coated....i coulda textured the 2nd day and walk away from the job. i instead ended up texturing on the 4th freakin work day.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #5

Trade: Tape and texture

around here its standard now days to prime before texture.seems like everyone wants lite orange peel and if you don,t prime first the mud lines can photograph threw and give the painter a hard time.for knockdown i usualy try to talk them out of it becaus it covers mor and it doesnt do any good
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

Ya know... I think everyone should have those times. Nothing makes a learning experience a learning experience better than those situations. They sure do make you pissin mad at the time but hopefully it's the first and last time.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltex View Post
around here its standard now days to prime before texture.seems like everyone wants lite orange peel and if you don,t prime first the mud lines can photograph threw and give the painter a hard time.for knockdown i usualy try to talk them out of it becaus it covers mor and it doesnt do any good
Alltex,

if the finishing and sanding is done RIGHT mud lines will not photograph, just my honest opinion.

again, it NEVER hurts to prime, but if the sanding is done correctly, ive never (well, i wont say never), MOST of the time you will not see anything.

now like i said, this is true of GOOD finishing......

ive surely seen what you are talking about on hack finishing jobs, so you are by no means wrong in any way.

on 99% of the jobs we perform, its without primer.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Drywall Svc. View Post
Alltex,

if the finishing and sanding is done RIGHT mud lines will not photograph, just my honest opinion.

again, it NEVER hurts to prime, but if the sanding is done correctly, ive never (well, i wont say never), MOST of the time you will not see anything.

now like i said, this is true of GOOD finishing......

ive surely seen what you are talking about on hack finishing jobs, so you are by no means wrong in any way.

on 99% of the jobs we perform, its without primer.
I never prime before textures , If you have mud lines it is because it is not finished properly before textures , even with paint/primer as Custom states it will not fill in any ridges they will still be there..... Prime before textures is a waist of time and money.... use the time instead to properly tape & coat (and sanding if necessary) prior to textures therefore providing a quality job.. the only time I would use a primer is if the job is a respray and I do not want any bleeding to come through ..
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Texture LLC View Post
2 Questions
1. When you guys prime before texuring (new rock) do you do it for the purpose of the texture adhereing to the rock better, or for the purpose of it drying evenly for a consistant knockdown? The companies here all shoot on bare rock and just knockdown right away or sand when dry.

2. When skimming to retexture do you prime before skimming, after skimming and before texture or just after texture? I've heard all three ways so I wanted to see what YOU guys had to say on it.
I have heard of some sanding to get the effect of a knock-down after spraying , my opinion on the matter is this is not a knock down and it is also time consuming and creates dust that gets into the crevices which can cause some extra grief for the priming getting it to bond . It will not give you a very uniform look but make it look much rough .... as far as primer before textures it is not necessary to do for the text to bond ,,,, Think about it this way you wouldn't prime all the walls and ceilings before you tape and coat for the taping process to bond would you ? Of course not you just tape over bare sheetrock.. likewise texture will bond on bare rock..
Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #10

Trade: Tape and texture

i dont realy know any more we have been priming first for 15 years at least and the builders expect it .i always thouht it was bull too but its the norm now.since i dont paint ijust give em what they want.i