Pinholes and craters in texture

Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Trade: Homebuilder

Pinholes and craters in texture

I'm a warranty manager for a homebuilder and one of our homeowners is complaining about pinholes and craters in the texture throughout the entire home. I talked to our drywall subcontractor and he says it's natural and nothing can be done about it. I've read through information from the various drywall suppliers (Westpac, USG, National...) and various drywall associations and the possible causes for the bubbles come down to a few things:
  • Too much water in the mix
  • Air entrained in the mix
  • Texture gun too close to wall
  • Bubbles in paint, not a drywall issue

So the questions I have are:
  • Is this "natural" or not?
  • What can be done to fix the pin holes?
I've done the search and I see plenty of posts regarding bubbles and pinholes in the mud during taping but I couldn't find anything specific to pinholes in the texture.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Last edited by Rubicon_Dave; 11-01-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add pictures
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
drywall slave

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Thanked 5,676 Times in 2,947 Posts

Re: Pinholes and craters in texture

Ever tried painting with a brush or roller nap that was damp? It will leave those bubbles. or maybe the texture was not completly cure before paint?
I don't do that type of texture,,But It looks like the craters are in the texture itself. If it's just where the joints are ,,Thats easy..The skim coat was still wet when they textured..But you say it's through out the home.

There's alot of spray pros here. You'll get your answer I'm sure of that.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Trade: Metal/Drywall/ACT

Does not look like paint filled in the pockets..so could be the paint. I would think the paint would have soften the edges.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Wandering and wondering

Trade: Interior Finishing Systems Technician

I've done this!

Happened with my thin mix for fine orangepeel with a hopper.... sprayed it on too heavy on an area of the wall, **** happens Looks like what your guy did as well be it hopper or rig. That is very heavy spray. You can tell his mix was thin by how flat it lays, also piled on (probably to cover a multitude of sins)

Are most walls like this? Answer that it is "natural" is bs. Depending on how much of the home is in this condition, you could dab mud with your finger on the holes and wipe off to leave it with the texture look without respraying, or wipe on wet sponge off.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

The holes were there before paint was applied. I would not expect holes in the texture in the first place and I would not expect the paint to fill them. I'm not a drywaller by trade but I've done a fair amount of drywall in my own home and others over the years and I've never had an issue with pin holes or craters. maybe I just haven't done enough for it to crop up yet, who knows.

I talked to the local drywall materials rep that services this particular drywall company and he indicated the pin holes were not normal. He's aware of them appearing when you apply texture over a previously painted surface but not over fresh drywall on new production. He explained that a painted surface acts as a water barrier and the moisture in the mud can only migrate to the surface, (and you get bubbles...) whereas with fresh drywall the facing paper will absorb some of the moisture in the mud and avoid creating bubbles.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philma Crevices View Post
I've done this!

Are most walls like this? Answer that it is "natural" is bs. Depending on how much of the home is in this condition, you could dab mud with your finger on the holes and wipe off to leave it with the texture look without respraying, or wipe on wet sponge off.
Yes, numerous walls in the home have areas on them like in the photos, enough for the homeowner to complain about it. Our quality standards are; "defects visible to the untrained eye from a distance of 6 feet under normal lighting conditions". This was taken out of the "California Building Performance Guidelines" book. These pinholes are numerous enough and large enough that they are visible to the homeowner.

Currently the fix appears to be what you mentioned but with a twist... the supplier suggested spackling the holes and then sponging. The spackle won't shrink like mud will, and the sponge over the top after filling the holes will maintain the profile of the texture. If that's the case, the poor guy that get's called out for the repair will be in the house for a while...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Wandering and wondering

Trade: Interior Finishing Systems Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_Dave View Post
If that's the case, the poor guy that get's called out for the repair will be in the house for a while...
We all learn somewhere
In the end he'll be better for it and probably spray lighter. Honestly, that texture is God aweful, you can see gravities work on it before drying, the sag and almost drip look. What type of spray rig your guys using?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Wannabe Woodworker

Trade: Drywall Journeyman/ Master Craftsman
Thanked 1,228 Times in 643 Posts

It looks like the mud maybe didnt get mixed thoroughly and have a proper resting before the final spin. It is heavy also which could add to the pocs. If I had to guess it was a huury hurry outfit with a spray machine and a rookie mixing the mud. The spray is a touch on the unproffessional side as well. A good prime and backroll ( 3/4 nap) would have eliminated most of them.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Quote:
I've done this!

Happened with my thin mix for fine orangepeel with a hopper.... sprayed it on too heavy on an area of the wall, **** happens Looks like what your guy did as well be it hopper or rig. That is very heavy spray. You can tell his mix was thin by how flat it lays, also piled on (probably to cover a multitude of sins)

I agree to thin and too much pressure spraying will cause this and to much over spraying (too heavy). And also if the gun gets too close to the walls you end up with the same effect, happens every once in a while when I spray a small closet and get twisted up in there where the guns not moving it builds up fast and then you get them craters and pinholes.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote:
I've done this!

Guess I'm the third one to agree

Tags
craters, pinholes, texture