Adding silica sand to drywall mud - Drywall Texturing - Drywall Talk

Adding silica sand to drywall mud

Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
www.frescoharmony.com

Trade: Entrepreneur/Drywall Contractor

Adding silica sand to drywall mud

We've been experimenting with adding silica sand to drywall mud for the past 3 months. The results have been amazing. We can go over a painted and textured surface in one coat as opposed to the two coats of the old method. The look and technique is a bit different but we're cutting out an entire coat. This technique could be used to simply cover texture efficiently as well. Let me know what you guys think or if you've used silica sand in mud. I'd like to hear your experience.
https://youtu.be/2_6hHhTFTCE

eihi (03-20-2017)
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall Finisher

Re: Adding silica sand to drywall mud

We use to add sand to our mud when did textured ceilings back in the 80's. The texture we did was troweled on in random swirls (butter finish). The sand certainly makes the mud much stronger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wimpy65 For This Useful Post:
eihi (03-20-2017), MrWillys (10-25-2016), Nick Harmon (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Trade: drywall

Don't do it!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,302 Times in 760 Posts

When I started in the 70's and even into the 80's we sprayed acoustic on ceilings and skip trowelled walls. Powdered taping mud with a small amount of number 30 Monterey sand was trowelled on with a 14" knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrWillys For This Useful Post:
Nick Harmon (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
When I started in the 70's and even into the 80's we sprayed acoustic on ceilings and skip trowelled walls. Powdered taping mud with a small amount of number 30 Monterey sand was trowelled on with a 14" knife.
Yeah. It looked good when contrasted with shag carpet. I have an 8000 square foot house to do next spring to remove all that popcorn and sand texture and bring the home up to a modern smooth finish. We have a lot of legacy homes here that have those 1970's finishes. They have gone up in value to where the realtors and designers tell the owners they have to upgrade to retain their property values.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
www.frescoharmony.com

Trade: Entrepreneur/Drywall Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley_revisited View Post
Don't do it!
Man if I had listened every time someone told me, "don't do it" Fresco Harmony wouldn't exist. I also would have spent a lot less time in detention. I had never tried the Silica sand before 3 months ago. I'd certainly never seen it with color incorporation. I experimented with it before doing a wall and I have to say there were good samples and bad samples. What I'm doing now is quite beautiful and I'd take it over a boring painted smooth wall or texture any day. I'm curious what the ugly sand texture you're referring to looks like. by using the sealer when the mud is half dry I'm able to smooth the finish very nicely. Also it wasn't my idea. I had a client that wanted a more "aggregate" look. They liked it so much we're doing 10,000 square feet of their new home beginning next week. Since then it's been 50/50 people who prefer it to my old method. I've also found out that American Clay uses varying amounts of Silica sand in some of their mixtures. Yes Wimpy I've also found the finish to be twice as hard as the normal Fresco Harmony we've been doing. Pictured is Turquoise Stone with Silica Sand. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding silica sand to drywall mud-img_0008.jpg  
Attached Images

MrWillys (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

This video is a poor example but you'll get the idea. Our guys could leave a consistent pattern of dots.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...7ED5&FORM=VIRE
The Following User Says Thank You to MrWillys For This Useful Post:
Nick Harmon (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This video is a poor example but you'll get the idea. Our guys could leave a consistent pattern of dots.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...7ED5&FORM=VIRE
That texture was done around here in the 1980's for a while. It is highly out of favor now.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Harmon View Post
We've been experimenting with adding silica sand to drywall mud for the past 3 months. The results have been amazing. We can go over a painted and textured surface in one coat as opposed to the two coats of the old method. The look and technique is a bit different but we're cutting out an entire coat. This technique could be used to simply cover texture efficiently as well. Let me know what you guys think or if you've used silica sand in mud. I'd like to hear your experience.
https://youtu.be/2_6hHhTFTCE
We did a lot of similar sand texturing here in the 1990's. It was really a fad. A bunch of houses got built with a Santa Fe theme. Flat roofs and exterior parapets and scuppers with no eaves or overhang. The interiors usually had a sand finish texture. Those flat roofs leak like a sieve up here in the high country. Any how, a sand texture is a real bear to repair. Similar to patching stucco. Except on the interior of a house people are much more picky. We have been doing color finishes around here for decades. I have a job we did in the late 1990's to do a bunch of color repairs in later this week. I don't look forward to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to endo_alley_revisited For This Useful Post:
Nick Harmon (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_alley_revisited View Post
That texture was done around here in the 1980's for a while. It is highly out of favor now.
What's funny is they still use it here in Reno. Where I get my blood drawn and others. Our Airport is skip trowel. It is a cheaper alternative to smooth wall and probably used just to save money.