Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

What is a good finish/all purpose mud in the u.s

Tags
mud
15K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Capt-sheetrock 
#1 ·
Hello I am a canadian finisher i have a customer that wants to buy his material from the u.s,But i have had no luck finiding a mud similar to synko prouducts here,he brought back a bunch of lafarge mud absolute garbage in my opinion any suggestions?

#17 ·
Best mud that covers board from showing

When I texture with the double crows foot sometimes the mud does'nt cover the drywall. Since no one paints the ceilings here i need a mud that will cover good when it is thinned down. Anybody know if one particular brand covers better? Thanks for any input

#20 ·
At the risk of being told I'm wrong AGAIN,,, we never paint before texture or stomp(textureing).

If your mud is NOT covering, you are putting it on TOO thin, period.

You can blame it on anything you would like too, tho,,, its your lie, tell it big as you want too.

Sorry if that seems rough, but its an attempt to get you to look at the real problem here.

#22 ·
Slim you are right, no paint at all. The problem is everyone wants fine texture so you have to thin the mud down. Then it seems the board is darker than it used to be so sometimes it shows through. If anyone has any input on a brand of mud that covers the board well after fine texture thats all I want. Thanks

#29 ·
That's how I do it when working by myself. Lately I've been doing a lot of "brush knockdown" (I call it "slapdown" because that sounds so cool:cool2:). Depending on what the client wants, sometimes there's a lot of negative space in the texture, you could never get away without painting it.

So drywalldoctor- would I be correct in assuming there is not a lot of skip trowel happening there?

#34 ·
Capt. ,we do the roll and stomp with the double slap brush or on big jobs spray and slap brush stomp. The board shows through sometimes unless you tack coat it first. What size tip does everyybody use when they spray the mud on and slap it? My sprayer is a speeflo 12000 so I can use a pretty big tip.

#36 ·
Capt. ,we do the roll and stomp with the double slap brush or on big jobs spray and slap brush stomp. The board shows through sometimes unless you tack coat it first. What size tip does everyybody use when they spray the mud on and slap it? My sprayer is a speeflo 12000 so I can use a pretty big tip.
I'm using a Graco 425 rac5 tip right now.

#39 ·
Caz,,, my favorite mud is the pro-form machine grade. It has a burgandy lid, not the same as pro-form red-lid (thats a mid-wieght mud). I find it my favorite to run through the tools. Try it and decide if the price diff is satisfactory to you. It is however 14.00/bucket where-as the easy finish junk is 8.50/bucket. Therefore I use easy-finish at the present.

The pro-form black lid is a favorite of ALOT of finishers. Its tough,,, really tough,,, you'll understand what i mean on sand day,,,lol. I don't use it cause I regard myself as a "sander" and not a "finisher".

#40 ·
Thanks Lloydnz, I have only seen the black lid proform here, I think 2buck mentioned its good for corners as it does not pinhole much, Havent seen the burgandy lid stuff capt but might ask my supplier if he can get it as he has the black lid, Been using sheetrock taping and black lid total but sitting on the fence with it as i have had some shrinkage and its a bit pocky, We have promix made in nz here and its a nice brew to box but hell tough to sand and really heavy, might be like the black lid proform??? We have easy finish here capt, havent tryed it through the tools as most people say its crap but i like it for troweling and its nice to sand.

#41 ·
Caz, that link showed "machine-grade" proform. Thats the burgandy lid, even tho it showed a red-lid in the add. The red lid will say "mid-weight" on the bucket.

I"ve used easy-finish in my tools almost exclusively for the past cpl years (how long has that Muslim Bas.....) nevermind. It runs fine for me,,, I find that tools don't have the "pock-mark" problem that hand fininshing has.

Lets review,,,,, Its easy to trowel, and its easy to sand.,,,,,,, now just WHAT was it that you didn't like about it????? the price???? LOL

Peace,,,, don't pay me no mind !!!!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.