Tear Away Bead

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Bazooka Joe
 
MudMonkey's Avatar
 
Trade: Taper/Boarder/Texturer
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Tear Away Bead


So I'm rather new to commercial and am currently doing a swimming pool and rec center. They want the tear away around the windows. Never used it before and was wondering if i coat onto the lip or below it on the trimtex side. I think it's onto the lip so i get a fill.

MudMonkey is offline  
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
D's's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fernie, B.C.
Posts: 327
Thanks: 43
Thanked 79 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Ride the lip. Don't forget to use spray adhesive and staple them on. I first coat with confil to get the strongest bond then two more to finish. Good luck, sounds like a lot of sqf!
D's is online now  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Bazooka Joe
 
MudMonkey's Avatar
 
Trade: Taper/Boarder/Texturer
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


it's only 14k board. Mostly stand ups too..and they used this 5/8 tough rock aqua board..it's messed up..one sheet must weight the same as 3 regular sheets. They had to cut it with a skill saw lol. I stapled them and used 90 for firts coat...same way i do arches. Glad to know I was right lol The nice thing is i got 20k of 9 foot office out of it at a great rate.
MudMonkey is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Whitey97's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I've never found the spray adhesive to be worth it, personally.
Whitey97 is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
silverstilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 61
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I've used both spray contact cement and just staples , if I have a lot of bead to install like last summer almost 4 cases i like the adhesive it is fast and i find that it lays way nicer , nice and flat , don't have to tap in those staples that may not go in all the way.. sometimes I even run tape just on the outside of the lip so that it is recessed , usually one more coat over that and wala perfect and it comes out so nice . If i do staple I always use 9/16" staples nothing shorter because they seem to work out before you can get it coated really sucks.....
silverstilts is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
The Happy Taper
 
Mudstar's Avatar
 
Trade: The Happy Taper
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The great white north
Posts: 487
Thanks: 21
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


spray contact cement a tape just like silverstilts suggests, works perf........... !
Mudstar is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Whitey97's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I may have to try it, give it a second shot....
Whitey97 is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Darren@Partners's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor / Hanger
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KCMO area
Posts: 920
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Spray adhesive has become indespensible, especially as framers think we wish trims on theses days. All too often ther is nothing to staple/nail to, re: most os splay corners, furdowns, etc. Be sure and spray both surfaces and you should be fine.
Darren@Partners is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
eastex1963's Avatar
 
Trade: hang and finish 30 yrs. exp. mostly residential
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern Texas
Posts: 172
Thanks: 27
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


And the slight buzz you get from using it! LOL.
eastex1963 is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Stormy_Ny's Avatar
 
Trade: Finisher
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstilts View Post
I've used both spray contact cement and just staples , if I have a lot of bead to install like last summer almost 4 cases i like the adhesive it is fast and i find that it lays way nicer , nice and flat , don't have to tap in those staples that may not go in all the way.. sometimes I even run tape just on the outside of the lip so that it is recessed , usually one more coat over that and wala perfect and it comes out so nice . If i do staple I always use 9/16" staples nothing shorter because they seem to work out before you can get it coated really sucks.....

Sweet tip with the tape ..... Tried it today on a set of windows, see how she dries. You are using Durabond to embed the tape right ?

Durabond and tape ...... You never know if it is going to suck it in or bulge it out.
Stormy_Ny is offline  
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Whitey97's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitey97
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I've always just stapled and taped them on. I'll try next shot. Thanks guys
Whitey97 is offline  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Super Moderator
 
silverstilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 61
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy_Ny View Post
Sweet tip with the tape ..... Tried it today on a set of windows, see how she dries. You are using Durabond to embed the tape right ?

Durabond and tape ...... You never know if it is going to suck it in or bulge it out.
No I do not use durabond , I use all purpose mud , If you having problems with it bulging then use some spray adhesive and make sure it sets some dry to the touch before placing the L-bead in place otherwise it wont bond... that's the whole idea by using contact adhesive , it lays flat and will not bulge...
silverstilts is offline  
Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
The Happy Taper
 
Mudstar's Avatar
 
Trade: The Happy Taper
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The great white north
Posts: 487
Thanks: 21
Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Durabond is for leveling floors not for strength like your thinking Stormy and is useless to a taper as far as I'm concerned. The tape takes care of 2 things already in this situation. Do I have to say anymore.
Mudstar is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Durabond-Don's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywll Finisher LU 2006
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Try this.

In between the staples, take the corner of your knife and squeeze mud under the tear away, then wipe tight. Putting mud under the bead acts as a glue. Then mud right over as usual.

Sometimes it is bulged so bad that putting mud under, dont help. In these cases, tape it or add more staples (or both). But 90% of the time, putting mud under the plastic bead, helps allot. It also strengthens it.
Durabond-Don is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Super Moderator
 
silverstilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 61
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by Durabond-Don View Post
Try this.

In between the staples, take the corner of your knife and squeeze mud under the tear away, then wipe tight. Putting mud under the bead acts as a glue. Then mud right over as usual.

Sometimes it is bulged so bad that putting mud under, dont help. In these cases, tape it or add more staples (or both). But 90% of the time, putting mud under the plastic bead, helps allot. It also strengthens it.
3M adhesive ( contact cement ) you will not be wasting your time with the bead bubbling again..... a can will go a long ways and avoid the headaches.... then tape if you like it will come out perfect and you wont be beating in staples ....I am afraid trying to squeeze mud behind the bead would be time consuming and a mess not to mention loosening the staples..

Last edited by silverstilts; 07-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.
silverstilts is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
Member
 
Durabond-Don's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywll Finisher LU 2006
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstilts View Post
3M adhesive ( contact cement ) you will not be wasting your time with the bead bubbling again..... a can will go a long ways and avoid the headaches.... then tape if you like it will come out perfect and you wont be beating in staples ....I am afraid trying to squeeze mud behind the bead would be time consuming and a mess not to mention loosening the staples..


Understand that I am a finisher, not a hanger (anymore). When I get to tear-away bead it is already installed. So I don't have the option to glue.

Placing mud underneath the bead is a quick fix to solve the problem of it being loose. And it dont take that much time.

I dont loosen any staples because I dont get that close to them.

I was merely offering a quick solution which works well for me.
Durabond-Don is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
Super Moderator
 
silverstilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 61
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by Durabond-Don View Post
Understand that I am a finisher, not a hanger (anymore). When I get to tear-away bead it is already installed. So I don't have the option to glue.

Placing mud underneath the bead is a quick fix to solve the problem of it being loose. And it dont take that much time.

I dont loosen any staples because I dont get that close to them.

I was merely offering a quick solution which works well for me.
Not enough staples .. I don't know what protocol is there but us finish guys install our own , that way it is done right... kinda like the hangers hanging all the bead they usually don't give a **** and have no idea how to do it properly..... rip it off and back charge them or at least threaten the GC who is responsible to pay you to install it....
silverstilts is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Member
 
Durabond-Don's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywll Finisher LU 2006
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstilts View Post
Not enough staples .. I don't know what protocol is there but us finish guys install our own , that way it is done right... kinda like the hangers hanging all the bead they usually don't give a **** and have no idea how to do it properly..... rip it off and back charge them or at least threaten the GC who is responsible to pay you to install it....


I'm a union finisher. Carpenters install tear away, and regular bead. We install flex bead and no-coat. I'd say 50% use plenty of staples, but the rest don't. They get bitched at for using too many staples or taking too much time, so they rush through it. It really depends on the carpenter foreman on the job. I'd say 50% care about quality, the other 1/2 only care about speed. When I am working for the good foreman, I can offer suggestions to the hangers.

I usually carry a staple gun around with me. But it's time consuming to keep stapling. So in them cases I throw mud behind it.

Try the mud behind the bead sometime, it works well. Trust an old finisher.

Last edited by Durabond-Don; 07-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Durabond-Don is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Super Moderator
 
silverstilts's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywall Contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 61
Thanked 380 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I am an old finisher... 35 years started out when i was 16 going to hit 51 next month **** if i last another 15 I will have 50 years into it but hope to retire in 10 and let the kids carry on,,, when i was lazy not using enough staples and there was a lot of lose bead i would just run tape over it it was fast and worked good now i still tape the bead on only because it finishes out way nicer and not only that ever start to tear off the strip and the damn bead breaks loose , got tired of that..... whatever works I say do it,,,
silverstilts is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
Member
 
Durabond-Don's Avatar
 
Trade: Drywll Finisher LU 2006
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Re: Tear Away Bead


I'm with ya bud. You got a few more years in than me. Everybody does things different. It dont mean one way is wrong and the other is right. It's what we are used to and what has worked well for us. As long as we get the same desired effect, let's agree to be different.

Whatever works is correct. And yes I have had the bead tear when pulling the strip. But putting mud underneath or in your case, taping it helps prevent that.

I'll buy ya a beer when we hang this up.
Durabond-Don is offline  

Tags
corner bead


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paper faced bead damudman Drywall Tools, Supplies and Equipment 52 02-11-2014 08:01 PM
SheetRock Coner Bead hopper Stormy_Ny Drywall Tools, Supplies and Equipment 9 03-31-2010 08:15 PM
CORNER bEAD John1 Hanging Drywall 17 08-29-2009 07:00 PM
Bullnose vs Chafer bead muddymen Drywall Tools, Supplies and Equipment 5 03-17-2009 12:06 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1