Paper or Mesh?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #1

Trade: Drywall punch out & repairs

Paper or Mesh?

I don't do a lot of new construction mostly remod and was woundering what tape do you use? Is one superior to the other?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
DAN THE DRYWALL MAN

Trade: TAPE PATCH TEXTURE 21 YEARS..

Re: Paper or Mesh?

I Use Mesh For Patching And Small Jobs On Flats But I Feel Paper Is Better For Angles Due To The Crease Helpes Make Clean Ceiling Lines...my 21 Years Of Experience Opinion...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Safety Guru (in training)

Trade: Framing, Hanging, Taping, Safety

I agree with Dan. Mesh for patches is the only way to go. Making paper disappear takes way too much time and material
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
other guy

Trade: Residential Contractor

Ditto
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #5

Trade: Taping

I use mesh for everything , and paper for corners. sometimes i also use mesh for corners, for me i prefere mesh , but both are good for the job !

cheers
Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #6

I mesh all short tapes (flats) like next to door ways and the short ones next to windows. I put on the mesh tape as I'm cutting out blowouts and coat the mesh on prefill that way the short flats ore out of the way. (Wiping out short flats are a pain for me.) Also, I mesh flats in the closets because that is much easier than getting the bazookee in there.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #7

Trade: Painting, Etc.

I am fairly new to drywall taping and finishing, but an experienced guy who taught me some things doesn't ever use mesh on seams because he claims it cracks. He showed me a job he took over, and the previous guy taped the ceiling joints with mesh. There was a hairline crack running down the seam.

Is this caused by the material used, or ceiling shifting? (I know, no one can see the problem here, but anyone else hear anything like that theory?)
Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

Trade: drywall professinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraarO View Post
I am fairly new to drywall taping and finishing, but an experienced guy who taught me some things doesn't ever use mesh on seams because he claims it cracks. He showed me a job he took over, and the previous guy taped the ceiling joints with mesh. There was a hairline crack running down the seam.

Is this caused by the material used, or ceiling shifting? (I know, no one can see the problem here, but anyone else hear anything like that theory?)

It's most likely caused because some guys put the mesh on and then second coat it. You have to set the mesh by slaping compound in and taking it off. This is to work the compound and the mesh into the joint. Don't use lightweight compounds. They tend to come back out and don't set as well as all purpose compound. (Why isn't any one posting here anymore?)

Last edited by butcherman; 03-17-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #9

Trade: Painting, Etc.

Butcherman -

Do you mean that you need to put down a coat of quickset, and then apply the mesh tape?

Does the quickset need to dry first?
What do you mean by "slapping compound in and then taking it off"?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #10

Trade: drywall professinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraarO View Post
Butcherman -

Do you mean that you need to put down a coat of quickset, and then apply the mesh tape?

Does the quickset need to dry first?
What do you mean by "slapping compound in and then taking it off"?
No, sorry for the confusion. Apply the mesh to the joint first. Then slap the quickset over the mesh so it goes thru the holes into the joint. This fills the joint and bonds the mesh to the joint. Then wipe it off almost like wiping paper tape,but sweep from north to south diagonaly then south to north diagonaly. This does two things, 1) It works the mud into the joint itself better. If you don't work it into the joint your just going over the top. Then the compound sucks into the joint resulting in a crack. 2) It stops the compound from coming out to where you have to scrape it down when it dries. Also a side note have you ever noticed when you coat screws with ez sand that you have to scrape them down before you second coat? To eliminate this coat screws the normal way and take off with the double sweep. In other word apply south to north, take off north to south, then sweep south to north. This extra step keeps you from having to scrape. The same principle applies to setting the mesh. Good luck

Tags
mesh tape, paper tape