Old texture peeling.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Trade: Drywall Contractor

Old texture peeling.

So once again I have a question, that I "should" already know the answer to..I was patching the seams and angles in a garage, has been done for 15 yrs now apparently, anyway, the old texture just kept "peeling" or scraping right off VERY easily, right down to the drywall clean as a whistle. I have ran into this a few times now. Scrape it down the best I can, but when I got to match or blend in texture, certain spots come right off on my roller once mud is applied for texture..very frustrating. Tried duarabonding spots first, still old texture comes right off clean when roll or stomp (even extremely lightly) over it....anyone have a reason as to why this old texture just comes off so easily and clean??...froze/fumes?....any input is appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DrywallTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #2

Trade: Drywall
Thanked 1,017 Times in 597 Posts

Re: Old texture peeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
So once again I have a question, that I "should" already know the answer to..I was patching the seams and angles in a garage, has been done for 15 yrs now apparently, anyway, the old texture just kept "peeling" or scraping right off VERY easily, right down to the drywall clean as a whistle. I have ran into this a few times now. Scrape it down the best I can, but when I got to match or blend in texture, certain spots come right off on my roller once mud is applied for texture..very frustrating. Tried duarabonding spots first, still old texture comes right off clean when roll or stomp (even extremely lightly) over it....anyone have a reason as to why this old texture just comes off so easily and clean??...froze/fumes?....any input is appreciated.
The problem is that the ceiling was not primed(painted) and the drywaller did not add any paint to his spray(texture) before he shot it.

You can NOT fix this. You need to just take a blade (6" or 8" or whatever) and scrape it off(if it wants to give you a problem, just fill a garden sprayer with water and shoot a little up there, and it will scrape right off). At that point, you need to prime the ceiling with a decent primer paint, and then shoot it again.

You cannot fix this !!!!
cdwoodcox (10-22-2011), gotmud (10-22-2011), SlimPickins (10-22-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
post whore

Trade: machine taper/ ex rocker
Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,489 Posts

See onpoint, people will help you on here, it's just the mesh thing has been beat to death. so if you have any questions down the road, feel free to fire away.

And if you need to know anything about sheep, ask the kiwi's,,,,,,,because sheep is another topic done to death on this site, that's all them kiwi's talk about on this site,,,, sheep this and sheep that.........: whistling2:
Capt-sheetrock (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #4

Trade: Drywall stopper
Thanked 1,338 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buckcanuck View Post
See onpoint, people will help you on here, it's just the mesh thing has been beat to death. so if you have any questions down the road, feel free to fire away.

And if you need to know anything about sheep, ask the kiwi's,,,,,,,because sheep is another topic done to death on this site, that's all them kiwi's talk about on this site,,,, sheep this and sheep that.........: whistling2:
With a baa baa here and a baa baa there, here a baa, there a baa, everywhere a baa baa.......
Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

I am going to have to argue that theory that there was no primer/paint in the texture or sealed with primer afterwards. Granted I do believe this would have sealed the texture form the beginning, but it was a roll on stomp texture and I would say 85% of the houses we do, they do not paint or prime the ceilings, have no problem with those. Also we texture garages the same way and have never had that happen to any of ours, even if they were not primed. Leads me to believe it was something else, the house was drywalled in the summer so the freeze theory doesn't add up either...hmm..anyone have a better idea of getting around this problem besides scraping the entire ceiling? It was mainly around the edges and out 2 ft..the center of the ceiling was just fine and took the patch and new texture no prob...appreciate the response thought!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
drywall slave

Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,887 Posts

That's rock outside ..It wont work ! When the moister sets in It will stay there till dry weather comes along .Then the mud comes loose ..texture and tape. back when asbestos was around ...porches ,garages,and carports could be hung and finished ... and last ........ I've seen the same thing happen in baths with no exhaust fans ..The stipple fell off with ease... It's a moister problem ...
The Following User Says Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
OnPoint (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
I am going to have to argue that theory that there was no primer/paint in the texture or sealed with primer afterwards. Granted I do believe this would have sealed the texture form the beginning, but it was a roll on stomp texture and I would say 85% of the houses we do, they do not paint or prime the ceilings, have no problem with those. Also we texture garages the same way and have never had that happen to any of ours, even if they were not primed. Leads me to believe it was something else, the house was drywalled in the summer so the freeze theory doesn't add up either...hmm..anyone have a better idea of getting around this problem besides scraping the entire ceiling? It was mainly around the edges and out 2 ft..the center of the ceiling was just fine and took the patch and new texture no prob...appreciate the response thought!
Okay,,,, then you tell us whats happening!!!!!

I'm always up to learning new things
Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #8

Trade: drywall installer and finisher

As long as texture peels cleanly off ceiling you need to do what Capt said earlier. Nothing worse than trying to blend texture and old texture coming off on your roller. At the very least try spraying an oil based primer over ceiling where you're going to be rolling.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdwoodcox For This Useful Post:
OnPoint (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
drywall slave

Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,887 Posts

It's a moisture problem..
The Following User Says Thank You to moore For This Useful Post:
OnPoint (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

The water could be reactivating the old mud. You'd be money ahead to just scrape it. Small time investment = peace of mind. We don't always need to understand WHY something is happening, just that it is.....and that we know how to fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimPickins For This Useful Post:
OnPoint (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore View Post
It's a moisture problem..
Gee,,, ya think?????
moore (10-22-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-sheetrock View Post
Okay,,,, then you tell us whats happening!!!!!

I'm always up to learning new things
I was not sure, I assumed it was a moisture thing myself. I just knew it couldnt be a paint/sealer thing because have done many ceiling that were not primed and they do not have the same problem. I am very inquisitive and rather ask questions if unsure, even if I don't get the best response, I take it all into consideration..as you said, always up for learning new things. I ask on here because only know a handful of legit drywallers who would have any take on matters, figured this would be the best spot to get answers from other drywallers..I do regret asking about the mesh thing..sheesh...anyway, thanks for your input, I do appreciate your time and response. I have it all textured in but a few spots "bubbled" up, dreading having to scrape as I know there may be no end, thought about scraping "bubbled" spots and skimming with durabond or hotmud and retexturing those spots...always up for more options if ya got them!..
Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #13

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

Had it been primed, the moisture wouldn't have been a problem. So it is a moisture problem and because it wasn't primed, it became a texture problem.
Sounds like a lack of ventilation in the attic. Maybe the vents have been blocked at the eaves. Hence the greater problem around the edge.

How's that for beating around the bush?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim0282 For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Average Member

Trade: Hang/Tape/Texture
Thanked 1,654 Times in 988 Posts

There's one way to check what's going on.....climb up in the access and have a look around. See any discoloration?

And what if they used light topping to texture with? That stuff will pull right off when you reactivate it with moisture (don't believe me? Try rolling a slap/stomp on over the stuff....the longer you let it sit, the more it pulls off)

Another option....board beneath mud was dusty. What's the texture on the walls? Have the walls been primed? Was the ceiling textured after walls were primed? Gee whiz....there's a million things it could be. Personally, I'd either scrape it or prime it with an oil base. I don't like failure, and I avoid/prevent it at whatever time/cost it takes............because it ALWAYS costs more to come back and fix your sh!t after paint is on....and after they move all their stuff back in.
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimPickins For This Useful Post:
Capt-sheetrock (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #15

Trade: Drywall hanger/finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
There's one way to check what's going on.....climb up in the access and have a look around. See any discoloration?

And what if they used light topping to texture with? That stuff will pull right off when you reactivate it with moisture (don't believe me? Try rolling a slap/stomp on over the stuff....the longer you let it sit, the more it pulls off)

Another option....board beneath mud was dusty. What's the texture on the walls? Have the walls been primed? Was the ceiling textured after walls were primed? Gee whiz....there's a million things it could be. Personally, I'd either scrape it or prime it with an oil base. I don't like failure, and I avoid/prevent it at whatever time/cost it takes............because it ALWAYS costs more to come back and fix your sh!t after paint is on....and after they move all their stuff back in.
For sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim0282 For This Useful Post:
SlimPickins (10-23-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
gun for hire

Trade: master finisher

Well, from what you described, it sounds like the original taper that worked on your house used Plus 3 lightwieght mud. considering the tape is popping off the seams and angles. The reason thats occuring is that, plus 3 has less glue mixed into the compound to make it easier to sand, I call it marshmallow mud because of its light density that it has.

the DW contractors around here wont even stock topping on there jobs, because of sloppy tapers that either dont know or dont care what they use, to string tape or anything else on their jobs. It states it on the box of topping or plus 3, not recommended for taping. usg mud that is.

so we only use AP for the entire job. the only time the tape will peel off using
AP is when theres dry tape or it freezes. considering its a garage, and its that important that you fix it, if you choose to scrape it, or sand it off, you'll have to get it to the sheetrock surface itself so your texture will stick. otherwise overlay the entire ceiling and start over.

chris.